Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Do You Wear a Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004 | 10:24 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Do You Wear a Helmet?

Most of the riding I do is on a farm where I hunt. Mainly on dirt roads around the edges of fields that you could handle in a good four wheel drive jeep. Nobody does any hot ******* or speeding around just getting from A to B. I have to admit none of us wear a helmet. I am seraiously considering one to help fight off the cold wind and any mishaps. Maybe we are pressing our luck, thoughts.

Old 01-14-2004 | 02:58 PM
Range Rover

I always wear a helmet..... Let me give you a couple of recent examples why...

1) Just last weekend we were riding some trails, and I was following my brother going up a steep hill. At one point he had to goose his P650 to make it over some tree roots, and it shot a quarter sized rock at me 20' behind him and sounded like a gun shot off my helmet face guard!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] If not for wearing a full faced dirt helmet.. I would have been missing some teeth, and busted lips for sure!

2) My sister-in-law decided to ride her atv around the yard last week> It was a bit windy, but just smooth riding in the grass, no rain, no snow, not wet..what could go wrong right?? WRONG!! A 4' piece of tree branch fell out of a tree as she went under it and hit her in the face, giving her a huge back eye, and cutting her cheek bone open.

I've been witness to many many more stories just like these.. and my head has been saved by my helmet and goggles on toooooo many occassions!! Yes, it's a personal choice... and Yes, we are adults. But there is no account for stupidity or taking unneeded risk!!

Old 01-14-2004 | 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

i use one when riding, for moving around (backing out of shed, getting gas at top of lawn) not often, if im going slow

Old 01-14-2004 | 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

I wear one about 95% of the time. I also wear one while riding my bicycle or horses which was unheard of when I was a kid. I still don't wear one while skiing.

Old 01-14-2004 | 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

One other thing, I wear helmets for my family, its not just for my sake.

Old 01-14-2004 | 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

i see some guys at some of the places i ride with no helmet, no shirt, cut off jeans , and a baseball hat turnned backwards. ohh, and sunglasses! in my eyes that is natural selection. when your riding trails at high speeds, its not if your to wreck, its when. if your just puttin around from a to b, i can see maybe not wearing gear. if your riding trails or racing, and you have no gear on, in my opinion your an idiot! some people i know have said ,"if you have'nt wrecked hard,your not riding hard." i don't know if i would go that far, i try to ride as fast as i can, but my wellbeing is always at the top of my list. just some thoughts![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2004 | 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

If you see a helmet with a head in it, do not pick it up........call 911.

Old 01-14-2004 | 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I think RhinoOffRoad hit it right on the head!!

Old 01-14-2004 | 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

What's a helmet?

but seriously, since most of my riding is on my farm, and it's usually point a to point b at a modest speed with a load of firewood or fencing tools, what's the point?

OTOH, when I'm on one of my bicycles, road or MTB, I always wear a helmet. Too easy to crack up and get hurt.

Old 01-15-2004 | 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

I don't wear one often when I'm taking my quad hunting, but when we are ripping around, I always have it on.

Quick Reply: Do You Wear a Helmet?