Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

RHINO

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHINO

Hello Everyone,
Anybody here have the new Yam. Rhino? If so what do you think of it, I might be buying one in the near future, any info would help.
Thanks
kenner

Old 01-30-2004, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default RHINO

Originally posted by: kenner
Hello Everyone,
Anybody here have the new Yam. Rhino? If so what do you think of it, I might be buying one in the near future, any info would help.
Thanks
kenner
If you get a Rhino don’t call me to haul you out of a hole with my Ranger….just kidding. The Rhino is one bad a—RUV

Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default RHINO

I just spent two weeks in Texas hunting and I did have a guy in the back. We weren't jumping it or riding it hard, just because I didn't want to scare the deer. I do have to say this thing climbs like a billy goat. I drove it through the ponds and stopped in the water to see if it would get stuck. I did not get stuck nor did I even come close to getting stuck. I do have to say that I threw on some ITP mud lites and these really make a nice addition and truly make this thing unstoppable. I gave it about 3 days of riding before I called it broke in. Then, I whomped on it to the limiter. I don't have the Speedo on it yet, it was on back order. But I had a truck follow me and it hit about 45 mph. I put a deer in it and hauled it back to the house. I worked over 1800 acres and had not one problem. I do have to say that the ITP tires seem aggressive but they don't rip up the terrain if you don't get into it. I liked that. The last thing is the stock lighting is weak. So I have designed a custom light bar for it and it will hold 3-5 55 watt HID driving lights. The width is perfect. If it was six inches wider it would have been too wide for driving through the trees. I would put money on it that the arctic cat prowler will take a back seat in the woods. In some cases I only had an inch or two of clearance. The roughest area I got into was a creek bed and it was crazy. It was at night and it had 1-2 foot ditches everywhere. I just put it in 4 WD and aimed it and crawled right through it. I had the front end up in the air an at most times I had one tire in the air. The independent suspension was awesome!! That’s it for now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RHINO

I have to agree with you all the way, the Rhino is WAY more beastly than any oher quad out there, I hope to soon get one, does anyone know any awesome upgrades for them?

Old 01-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default RHINO

BamBam,
I am wondering if you have tried starting your Rhio in really cold weather. I am interested in a utility 4 wheeler but I need it to start when it is well below zero. I like the Rhino but am wondering if I need the EFI that Ranger offers to start in the cold. Thanks for any help.

Doc

Old 01-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default RHINO

The coldest I have started it in has been about 15 degrees F in the snow. I haven't had a problem yet. I live at 4700 feet and have been all over the place with the Rhino. I do have to say this thing can't be stopped. The only thing I have noticed when it is cold is that I have to use the choke to about 3/4 and normally I just start it at about 1/4 to a 1/2. I run premium in it and I have run regular in it too. I found that the premium requires a little less choke in the cold and normal initial starts. It is carbureted so you will have to pump it once or twice if you haven't started it in a while. To help the starts I am going to install a electric boost pump for about 30 bucks my buddy has one and wow what a great addition. His cranks faster on the initial start mainly when it is cold or first started, once warm they start the same. I have driven all the UTV's and each have their own positives. The Rhino has the best mix of play hunt and fun. The suspension is great! My 2 cents on the others below.

Mule-good for work and hauling-no speed and suspension is tank like golf cart like seating
Polaris- better than the mule for play, but tows better and runs good still a little bulky
Arctic cat Prowler-looks good and good machine but the width is a killer, when cutting through the woods the width restricts its access to some locations.
Chinese knockoff brands-not work the weight in scrap metal. They are go carts with suspension…Just junk. No power and feel like a tin can.
I don’t recommend buying a UTV unless it is one of the above and minus the Chinese junk. You will pay just as much fixing them and modifying them to make them like the name brands. The name brands have been refined.

The ergonomics of the Rhino far exceeds all of the above. My partner and I are well above 200 and we flying through all terrain. In some cases better than the quads. One thing the Rhino does really good, is the weird angled rock crawls, hill climbs and general brush running, plus I like the fact I can drive it like a quad, jumping it and rippin up the mud. The suspension really sucks up the ruts, even at high speed. The longest run without getting out was about 3 hours and I spent 12 Hours plus driving it in one day. The included rock crawling up to some mines, rippin up some mud flats and just traveling a 4x4 road. The trucks were 1/2 hour behind us in all cases. If you can remember one thing, remember ITP MUD LITES. These are the key to going anywhere. I have never been stuck!! These tires are probably as good on any UTV, but I know for me there is no other. I recommend keeping the stock rims and then adding your Mud Lites. This prevents increasing the width and in some cases it would have stooped me in the woods. If you don’t drive in the woods then the wider stance would be fine. I have never found it to unstable, even on the side hills. DON’T go bigger than 1 inch larger than stock.

I research all of them for two years before I bought the Rhino. I don't knock the others because they each have their own strengths. I choose the Rhino because it has quad like handling, but rides like a Cadillac. One thing I recommend for any UTV is skid plates underneath. My wife put the first war wound on it...I know my wife sounds weird. But she launch of a hill right onto a boulder. The floor board took a hit and cracked it. Not very big so I won't replace it. She justs hammers the gas and prays.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default RHINO

My wife is a horse person and always complained when she drove my Kawasaki (400 & 650) ATVs and was way to slow for my taste. At the end of November we sold the 400 and purchased a Rhino. I really enjoy that machine. As it set from the factory it will do 41 mph. So far after a weekend at Little Sahara, Oklahoma it has climbed everything we asked it to and excelled on the soft sand trails also. It's one well planned out machine. The ride is much more comfortable crossing pasture then either my 650 or my Ford truck for that matter. As one other mentioned it's a little weak in the light department so I added some for lights and will probably look at some across the roll bar. I did add a front rack, extra exhaust for a more quiet ride when hunting and a full camo top for bad weather hunting. I'll probably add a new CDI to improve the speed. Before November I'd never really thought about getting a side by side. One look at the Rhino convinced me that that was what I needed and a week later I purchased it. I can also strap my 4 year old in it and feel much safer then having him ride setting in front of me on the Prairie 650.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default RHINO

Thanks guys. I appreciate the great reviews. I will only be using it for ice fishing in Minnesota. I live on a lake and have to leave it down on the ice so my main concern is cold weather starting. At this point I don't have anywhere to ride in the summer so width isn't of concern. From what I have seen so far, I would buy the Rhino in a heartbeat if it had EFI. Thanks again for the help.

Doc

Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default RHINO

I bought one 15 months ago and now I am having to replace the stator assembly at a cost of 700.00 +. Yamaha would not help me with the cost even though this should not have happened. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, they will not help beyond the warranty date. The Rhino will go anywhere and I loved the thing until this happened. I would go with the Polaris if had the opportunity to do it all over.