Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Yamaha not backing product?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004 | 07:39 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Yamaha not backing product?

First off I'm new to these forum's I usually go with the flow. But I'm curious, I have an '04 Grizzly,on a recent ride it began to smoke then ran hot (the high was 25 F), shut it down, got back to camp changed oil, old oil smelled like gas was very thin, cranked it back up it smoked like a BIG DOG! shut it down and it locked up.

38 hrs. and 203 miles on the engine it's only 3 months old. It is stock except for tires and Bumper.
Oil changed once proper break in done even stayed with yamaha filter and yamalube oil

Question #1: The dealer states that its dirt in the engine that caused it to lock up, that's not covered under warranty, but they are going to repair it at no expence to me? I'm not a brain surgeon but if dirt got in the engine would that not be a manufacture defect? So they are rebuilding the "Top Half" of the motor, and the service guy states he will check out the bottom also. OK Great. But NO extention on the warranty...So I'll have 2 months left of warranty.

Question #2 Called national "Customer Relations" Told them the same story, Her reply about the dirt in the engine was "sir we don't sell dirt in our engines" Whatever! Theywould not extend the warranty either.

OK I've got a brand new 4 wheeler, always getting s____ from my Honda friends for buying it anyway. The repair part is OK, BUT I don't want a brand new wheeler with a rebuilt motor. Yamaha says that I only get the rest of the original warranty with it. All I asked for is a 6 month warranty on the rebuilt engine. Is this too much to ask????? Any one else had problems??

Old 02-02-2004 | 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

They are replacing it at no cost to you because it wasn't your fault. They need to find out why dirt got in there in the first place. Otherwise you are going to have the same problem after this warranty goes out. You may want to look at an extended warranty if you plan on keeping this quad for a while. The extended warranties can be purchased from different dealers. There is an online tool for pricing yammi warranties, but it is MSRP and will scare the heck out of you. I would call a few dealers for pricing. I've also heard they can be purchased from dealers on e-bay, but I'm not sure. The Yammi guys will be able to help you out more, hopefully this will get you started in the right direction. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004 | 08:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Your right about it not being my fault. Thanks, it at least let's me know I'm not loosing my mind. But say the same thing does happen again they will say the same thing and the extended warranty won't apply either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004 | 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with learning2fly not your fault but they are repairing it for free. As for the extended warranty if you werent interested before i wouldnt get it now because your just going to have the same BS.

Old 02-02-2004 | 08:29 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: learning2fly
They are replacing it at no cost to you because it wasn't your fault. They need to find out why dirt got in there in the first place. Otherwise you are going to have the same problem
learning2fly is correct you had better find where this dirt is coming in at.

Was your air filter mounted incorrectly?

Old 02-02-2004 | 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I think Yamaha builds great ATV. I also think Yamaha will not stand behind their products. 01 Raptor trans, over heat kits for the Grizz, and Grizz's had axle problems too. Yamaha took care of the problems unless they were out of warranty, then it was your baby. They corrected the problems in later production, which to me is an admission of guilt. You will never find a Yamaha in my garage. Not because of the machine, but who built it.

Old 02-02-2004 | 08:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

No, the filter was where it should be and not even dirty, the service dude said it seemed a little dry, I didn't think so, touching it got my finger coated with clean looking oil! So you agree the extended warranty won't do any good?

Old 02-02-2004 | 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

XYamahaFan, I don't want to call your dealer a liar but he may be, from the sound of your story.

Let me give you a story to think about. Lets say your bee-booping around the trails with your brand new Griz like you said. Now this is a new machine and for some reason a tiny piece of rubber or dirt or what ever gets dislodged from your fuel line. Now this can happen when your stopped for a beer break or whatever. You don't notice it pooring fuel into the engine and running past the rings filling the crankcase with fuel. Now your oil is about as thick as WD40. Because your quad is not broken in yet it still has some high spots on the bearings and sleeves and every other part. You start it back up and it runs the tiny piece of rubber through the carb. Your on your way and since you have something as thick as water to lube everything....................well, things are getting "grabby" so your temp light comes on because by this time the motor is starting to lock up. You crank it back up and eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.............your done!!!!

It could be a dirt deal................but..................I don't think so. Gas in the oil could be caused by dirt (it's a long story, and I'm lazy tonight) but, again, I don't think so.

Did you keep your old filter from the first change? Do you have the old oil? Make sure you mark the filter you have on it so they don't pull the old switcharoo. Tell them you want ALL parts that came out of the engine, Including the oil and filter.

If you want to push the issue you can have the oil and filter analyzed.

Tell me if my story sounds more plausible than theirs. If it does, I will add more if you want.

Old 02-02-2004 | 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: XYamahaFan
No, the filter was where it should be and not even dirty, the service dude said it seemed a little dry, I didn't think so, touching it got my finger coated with clean looking oil! So you agree the extended warranty won't do any good?
You may want to look at a better filter, like a uni or something else. I don't know what is on there stock. I can't say what yamaha practices are on the warranty. Sounds like you may run into one of the following scenarios though.

1. The quad was repaired and mechanic hooked up of fixed component that was allowing air to bypass the filter. Hence, you shouldn't have more problems.. Not the most likely scenario, but possible. A friend of mine did something similar on his 400ex after he rejetted, but he caught it real quick and hasn't had any problems. He forgot to make a connection on the air intake leading into the carb from the airbox, there is a little plastic piece and he overlooked it.

2. You buy the extended warranty and have a partial leg to stand on if this or another problem occurs after the first six months.

3. You take your chances and don't buy the Extended warranty and have absolutely no leg to stand on.

Personally I would go with option 2, but it's not my money and I am not a mechanic or a lawyer. At least with option 2 you could definitely raise enough stink to get it fixed one way or another. You are the consumer and have paid good money for an All Terrain Vehicle, unless there is negligence on your part, they should honor the warranty. It's not a stretch to say that something else might break in the next 32 months that would easily cost 500 dollars with parts and labor.

I won't buy a quad without a warranty, probably one of the major reasons for going to the 450R instead of upgrading the engine. If I had the engine built and it shot craps, I would be out the money. It was also part of my reasoning (not solely of course) for going with the 450r instead of the YFZ. I just wasn't comfortable with what I had heard about the Yammi warranty.

Either way, sorry that you're having to put up with it. My friend has a grizzly and just loves it.

Old 02-02-2004 | 11:03 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

doctorturbo,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not real gung ho on an attorney hiring, money spending battle. I guess I'm just shocked at the blatant we don't care attitude exhibited by yamaha. The dealer you almost expect it.

learning2fly,
I was going to buy the extended warranty anyway but I guess you're right at least it would give me some backing. Don't get me wrong before this happened my griz was the shiznitz, again I'm PO'd at Yamaha for not backing their product. Just outright saying they won't cover their dealers rebuilt engine. It's just a pain in the butt because I was always told to stand behind my decisions and deeds, oh well, then there's coorporate America. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Yamaha not backing product?