Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What's in your gear bag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's in your gear bag?

I'm not shocked by that this at all, I think it's prudent. What part of this state are you in Ol? Aside from a newly devoted ATV'r, I'm also a Pilot and find myself flying over the Southwest's inhospitable desert rather frequently. At the chiding of a few of my fellow pilots, I carry a survival pack that houses 14.7 pounds of gear with strong similarities to much of what has been discussed here, plus or minus a few things. After flying to the scene of a crash, pending my survival in the first place, I am prepared with that pack's contents to keep at least 2 people alive for upwards of 5 days. Along with the ELT in the aircraft, if I do my part in flying my filed flight plan and communicating any ammendments to such, I can expect rescue within a day if conditions are right. If they aren't, then a few days might be more likely. I think an ATV mishap in similar terrain or conditions could be worse as it is possible that no one would really know exactly where you were.

Interesting reading this has been, I'm glad I posted it!

~TD

Old 02-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Alaskaboy,
Regarding the hardware: the rifle and sidearm are strictly for defensive use. As in Alaska, where we prospect is pure wilderness and you are strictly on your own. My ranch is almost 9 miles from the nearest paved road and the 'diggings' are another 20 miles beyond the ranch - all very remote high desert wilderness. The shotgun and Ruger 22/45 are strictly for survival and "live" in the survival bag 24/7/365. I consider them as back-up.

There have been rare occasions in the bush when I was damn glad that I was armed - times when I believe that the visible presence of a firearm precluded any ah, "mischief" on the part of those with whom we encountered.

TreeDoc, I live in the SF Bay area. My 1881 Ranch is in central Nevada.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

you can get those space savers from Cabelas.com go to the ATV section of coarse, and there they are. One for fuel and one for water.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

I will be a enw ATV'r in the near future. I am looking to go as far as possible back into the Medicine Bow National forest in Wyoming. Aside from My 30-30 and .40 Glock, and the other stuff on the larger list at the beginning of this thread, what should I take with me. I am buying a '04 Grizz and will be taking plenty of gas. It will be mid Aug. and the weather is questionable. I will be taking tent and sleeping bag of coarse. Thanks TW

Old 02-16-2004, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I usually carry a gun to protect myself from other people. You never know who you'll meet up on the mountain. We get a lot of people from out of state up there. My other concern is rabies.

One day I went for a walk about a mile from my home. I was walking on the side of the road during the day between a corn field and thick brush. This fox walks out in front of me and starts up the middle of the road. The thing never even noticed me. So I'm basically walking behind it wondering if it had rabies. I let it get a little further and then made some noise. It jogged up into the brush. Few days later someone shot a sick fox in the same area. Rabies. That day I didn't take my gun and couldn't even find a decent sized pebble to throw at it. I considered myself lucky. The healthy animals don't concern me. Well at least the 4 legged ones don't concern me.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:50 AM
Quad Patrol

Treedoc, F&G is not the enemy when it comes to mtn lions. Back in I believe 1994, the people in the state of Ca. passed a law that makes the mtn Lion a protected species. The law to protect mtn lions was passed by the vast number of voters in the S.F and L.A. areas that wanted to protect their fuzzy cats. The rest of the state (where mtn lions have been problems) wanted the initiative to fail and give F&G more power to address the problems. Unfortunately, there was more voting people in the two most populated areas in the state (L.A. & S.F) so the law passed. F&G does not have a problem taking care of problem animals. They know that mtn lions are a problem, unfortunately the mtn lions are protected and other then irradicating problem mtn lions, their hands are tied by law.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

rd, I am in total agreement with you on DFG having there hands tied by the voters way back when. The point that I was trying to make is DFG won't come out and take a stand on the issue. When that lady got attacked and they found that guy that had been killed, DFG seemed to really play down the issue about lion population, like it really isn't a problem. The only time I have heard a DFG Biologist really speak to the issue is in an "off the record" environment.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

One thing that comes in handy, and I didn't see on the lists.and takes up little space is a tube of Crazy glue. Temp fix for everything from clothing to plastic.

Rick-Wi

Old 02-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks RstolzWi, and my list gets bigger. lol It works pretty good for a bandaid too, like new-skin. (darnit, that makes two)

Old 02-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Kawi650,
I read your message to my son, his reply was "HE MUST RIDE A HONDA". very funny message[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What's in your gear bag?