Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What's in your gear bag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's in your gear bag?

No I don't ride hondas, I ride a kawi but when I'm bikeing I want to be able to look after everyone. On the weekend I was moving some of my old bikeing stuff and found an old polaris belt, (I use to have one with me and I didn't even own a polaris) a set of wheel bearings for a honda, even some old army food rations... If someone want's the food it was only in my box for about 5 years LOL

Old 02-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

What do you put all your gear in?

Pictures would be great!

They would give me an idea about what I am looking for in a box for my Sportsman.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Ok there was homemade box made out of 3/4 plywood 6 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet high on back rack, there was a 2 by 4x3 up front and small coolers fasten to the front fenders covering the warning lables go, 2 gas jugs on the very back.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

Speaking of Gear bags, I just bought a cool set from Big R for 80 bucks. They have them on sale, It was a kit that had a huge rear rack bag, two hadlebar mits, a two section fender bag, a two section tank bag with bottle holder, and all of it is water-proof Mossy Oak Camo. I couldn't find a better deal than this. Check it out. All of the stuff has a protective black foam diamond plate covers. They look really cool on my 3-wheeler. Later. TW

Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

Please disregard my last entry. I went riding with the big bag attached. I hit a few small jumps with the big red and all but one of the straps that holds the thing on busted. I got hosed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

I realize I'm comming a little late here. But 2 items many of you might consider if your out by yourselves. These are from experiences I had as a 4-wheeher. What if you need to winch (power or come a long) and there are no trees, rocks, or anything stationary. One of those sand drag boat anchors is just the ticket. You may need to use a shovel to bury it a little in certain situations. I never ran deserts out west. Can you get buried in sand dune like sand? Anyhow, no matter the situation, the harder you pull the deeper it digs in. I still carry a 12 incher when I'm by myself. I use to carry a sheep herders or sometimes called a shepards jack in my jeep. But this would be impracticle on a Quad due to length and weight. But an old fashion bumper jack seems better. Jack up under the brush guards and push the jack and the quad to one side to get out of stucked hole onto firmer ground. Consider these if your going by yourself.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

natron-Not having anything to winch to is a common problem in the desert! But, it has never been such a big problem that I wanted to carry a clunkey sand anchor around with me.

If you get stuck in the sand, it is just a simple matter to pick the bike up out of the hole, and set it on higher ground.......unless you have a 700 lb machine! I can handle a ~500 lb machine like the Rancher pretty easily by myself, but if the machine is much heavier, you better bring a couple of buddies along to help do the lifting. This is another reason I go with the "travel light and fast" philosophy. Don't want the machine loaded down with a bunch of heavy cargo boxes and gear I probably wouldn't use in a 100 years anyway.

I have done minimalist backpacking/hiking/mountain biking for years, and this is how I pack when I ride the quads. Every trip I discover some more stuff that I can survive WITHOUT! Just enough gear (water!) so I can survive the night, and walk out the next morning if I have to.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer

For yourself your right. You hit it though for me. With a bomb at 755 lbs. Need a jack.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

I see most all yall carry tire plugs, but have any of yall ever pushed your tire completely off the rim. It happend to me about 7 down a steep mtn. Not a happy camper. What would yall do in this sit.

P.S.
I carry my trusty Browning 22 pistol to ward off meth-cookers and pot growers, LOL.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

BigBamaBoy,

We've had this to happen on a 450 Honda with 27s about 4 miles from the nearest road.
After 2 cans of Fix-A-Flat and a lot of praying, it finally took.

Later I learned (I think it was in this forum) that you can take a rope, wrap the rope around the tire, make a knot in the rope and pull it as tight as you can. Next, add the air and it should hold the bead.
I've not tried this but it is a good theory since pressure of the rope on the tire would push the beads back to the rim.

If any one else has a suggestion, please let us know.

Later

Quick Reply: What's in your gear bag?