Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Tusk/superwinch winch won’t free spool

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tusk/superwinch winch won’t free spool

I just bought a used Rubicon that has a tusk winch on it, it works but it won’t free spool. It says on the side to pull this **** but it doesn’t do anything. Anyone have any tips, or could something be wrong with it?

Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

First question: Does the **** come out or has it got stuck. Oil that end of the winch anyway with some spray lubricant.

If it does come out: At least the Tusk-winch that I have works so that you will have to pull the **** first out and then while having the **** pulled out also turn it, until it stays out.

After pulling the wire out BEFORE you start using the winch with the lever, turn the **** again so that it falls back.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think the problem might be that the winch is to tight, when the hooks in all the way in for the **** to pull put, ill try letting the cable out a little first when I get my quad back. Can the **** on your winch turn easily without pulling the **** because mine does.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is from a Tusk manual.-
Freespool Operation-
Pull and turn the clutch **** to the "Free" position as shown in Figure 9. If there is a load on the wire rope, the clutch **** may not pull out easily. DO NOT FORCE THE CLUTCH ****. Release tension on the clutch by jogging out some of the wire rope. Release the clutch and pull out the wire rope and secure to anchor or load. Check that there are at least 5 turns of wire rope left on the drum. Re-engage the drum by returning the clutch **** to "Engaged" position. ----

---- The **** itself might be loose from the little shaft. The shaft should have two teeth (or whatever) that slip into grooves or holes. When you pull the **** out it pulls the teeth out of the holes. When you rotate the **** it turns the shaft to reposition the teeth so they don't go back into the hole, groove or whatever. This allows you to pull out the cable. The **** shouldn't turn freely unless it's loose on the little shaft. You reposition the teeth into the groove, holes or whatever to use the winch. Make sure the teeth are in all the way.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

For those of you with Tusk winches where are they made and do you think they have been a good product?

Old 03-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I had a superwinch I thought it to be junk. 25 feet of cable, overheated and would quit and the freespooling quit after the 3rd or 4th time I used it, the **** would come out but it would not freespool even if hooked it to a tree and tried to back up. The only way it would work was by powering out the cable and that drains the battery quickly when you have to do that and winch back in and the lights are on. I say spend a few more dollars and get a Ramsey or a WARN, this way you have 50 feet of cable to use(49, as you want to keep a few wraps on the drum) and they do not overheat and lastly the use of a rollerfairlead. AlaskaBoy.