Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Drop basket rear racks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop basket rear racks?

no I havent gotten the tires yet, they were out of the front tires in the size i wanted, so I ordered them, but after thinking about it, and I got a flyer in the mail, I am thinking of waiting till i go to anchorage and check out the sportsmans warehouse and that tire store in wasilla you told me about.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I checked out the Sportsman Wharehouse and was realy impressed with the prices I saw. The guns were about hundred cheaper then Walmart and the spotting scopes I looked at were the same price of the Cabelas mag and I will be going back to see is they will let me test a couple of them out in the parking lot. I want to be able to see farther then the other side of the store and I want to do it around dusk as this is when I always get my moose and want to see how clear they are. Ammo was a good price too, but I was looking at thier bulk ammo rather then the hunting stuff. They also have a fourwheeler section, not much but some stuff. They have to see what the people want before they do any changes. The fishing has to be changed though, they stocked it with alot of bass fishing quailty rodds and reels and that will not do. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know how much it weighs, but it is a load by itself. Probably about 40lbs. Personally I like to keep the weight over the wheels of the atv, not hanging out behind it.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I was thinking. I always have my meat trailer I can use I was just thinking about putting it on for small camping trips. Thanks again for the input.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have one for my bomb. and it worked nicely. We used it for hauling water buckets and hay for our horses. It could fit 3 buckets or 2 hay bails on it. The weight on the back wasnt that much of an issue because I then counter balanced it with a hay bail on the front because I have the extended front rack on it too

Old 02-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks MnFriesen, I am going to pass as I climb alot of steep mountains and don't want to risk it. Thanks again for the input.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

One thing you might want to conceder is a mini drop or a flat extension.. Will give more space to the back, and not let you aggressively over do it, yet gives you rails on the sides to tie stuff down on..

Rick-Wi

Old 03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
lax
Weekend Warrior

I have a drop basket rack on my 03 foreman and like it. I do a lot of ice fishing and keep 3 five gal buckets of bait and gear in the back compartment and have a tote on the rack with my extra clothes. the weight of the rack is minimal 30 lbs - 40 lbsand doesn't have much of an effect on the front end handiling but I do have a winch on the front.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

I built one for my Kodiak, too cheap to pay the price for a factory one. I have not had any issue with the weight distribution due to this rack. I've had it fulll loaded with a weeks worth of camping gear and the front rack loaded also. You could tell the weight was there, but then again, it didn't affect the handling or ever become an issue. I rode alot of rock out in Moab, Utah with a few items in the rear basket, and really didn't even notice the rack was hanging out the back. I'm very pleased with this type of rack.