Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Limited Slip or Diff Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip or Diff Lock?

TellicoGrizz660 to answer your question. I just don't have any experiance with Polaris so I just can't say. From what I have been told Bomb has the patten on Visco lock. You won't be seeing it soon on anything except a Bomb. No, I haven't seen the new Chevy setup. Is it anything new or cool? I do know that there were some complains that the outtie system was slow to ingage as compaired to a traxter. Why that is, I just don't know. Maybe Bomb engineers wanted the outtie to have lighter steering? I just don't know; I don't even know if it is even true? I do know that my traxter is lighting quick to lock up. The only time it seems to not work quite as good as a full locker is sloppy mud. When things happen in thousands of a second the pump just can't keep up to feed the power to what tire. But the Visco lock won't **** the tires off like a locker either. A locker will sometimes drag a tire that has traction. Thats not good. As far as you taking on an outtie, I think the systems are so even that it will come down to rider ability, and not the machine.

RhinoOffRoad, your trying to get me and other people to believe that Bomb has only a limited slip in their quads. Thats just not the case. Tranny clutch packs work on the same principle. Some tranny's can handle thousands of lbs/feet of torque without slipping. Jeep can't make a hydraulic pack system, AKA Visco lock!!!!!! Why??? Because Bomb has the patten on it!!! Thats why they do it their way, with gears and valves and servos and what ever else they have on their system. They just do it a different way. They achieve the same thing. You can wedge my tire as hard as you want, when that pack gets pumped up (in the blink of an eye) that tire will turn. If it makes you feel better, say it won't all you want.

Old 03-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Nate, Nate Nate, at least TellicoGrizz660 is honest enough to say that he has never ridden a Visco lock Bomb. Have you? If not, how can you comment on how the system works? All you talk about is Jeeps and rockcrawling. They don't have a Visco lock system. I have used both systems; can you say that?. I have a locker in my 9" and I have a Visco lock in my quad. I have gotten my tire jammed in BIG ruts several times. Two wheels in the air, two wheels in a rut, clutch pack locks up the tire on the ground and away I go. Let me say this one more time for ya, it does pull all 4 tires, even when one or two are jammed. If you don't believe, well; the only reason I can think of is ALL your experiance with owning a Bombardier Visco lock system[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. Like I said, I know what I'm talking about because I own a Visco lock and locker system. Can you say that?

Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I started to read through this thread but decided that I don't feel like reading it all. So I just wanted to post this link just in case someone hasn't seen it. It just explains how the different differentials work.
differentials People seem to post a lot of threads about differentials. Maybe it will help someone.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

I got to go riding yesterday with a sportsman 700 fuel injection, polaris 2 wheeler, and a grizzly and me with my bomb trax. I was first to get stuck in an upward going rut. I was showing of and fell in the rut criss- cross LF-RR tires in. The griz driver came back and seeing both my front tires spinning didn't pull on my ATV but pushed down on the front right corner and had to jump out of the way cause the tire grabed some traction and poped out. So as we continued in and out of some fair mud bogs and creeks and occational hill. The griz driver kept saying to me "AND THAT WAS IN TWO WHEEL DRIVE". Then it happened. First the 2 wheel polaris got stuck in a creek with his front wheel under the root of a tree. Couldn't get him out forward. I crossed back over the creek to pull him back out. The polaris bringing up the rear was still over there. Then the griz started to come back over, got to the other side of the creek and the rear wheels started to dig in. He stopped and put it in 4 wheel drive and proceded to bury the rear wheels and dig nice holes with the front tires. Stopped again thinking he better lock up the front end---which buried the front end. To which I had to say "and that was in 2 wheel drive"!
So I hooked to the 2 wheeler got him out. The polaris to the griz and nothing. Both of us to the griz and he's out. I would like to think that my bomb could have done it by my self--but who knows. Least I didn't have to hear the rest of the day "and that was in 2 wheel drive".
The reason for this story is when YOU start to think you should be locking up. The bomb already is locked. It is that fast. It is much smarter than most knot-heads in the seat. It locked me up on the way over the creek. I would rather be locked when I don't need to be than unlocked and mentally kicking my self for not locking, when the moementem is going bye-bye in that mud bog. I got a chance to whatch the 700 in a long mud hole. I could see the front wheels turn then stop, turn then stop. I guess as the rear axil got traction than lost it and got it again. It did not get stuck. But why my co-traxter Doctorturbo thinks this is a better mudder than us. I don't see it . But I won't argue it. What I did learn yesterday is all quads go, stop,and get stuck. Some more stuck than others.
Now to you rock crawlers Tellico and "I am the LAW" Rhino. Do you actually think that you could strap a wheel down and flip a vehicle? I hope this is just a point your trying to make. Cause anything thats stock. Your drive belt will do the dance of the seven shreads. Let alone a jeep. I hate to imagine it. By the way in the picture of your locker where is the air hose you talk about?
Getting back to rockcrawling. I'll leave the arguement of the front differential for awhile. If you really see yourselves as crawlers; why would you have ATVs with CVTs? Why not gears? Remember them. In a jeep they are worth every extra dollar. And what does the Bombardier Traxter have you ask, like you really need to, GEARS. First the Traxter has 15 gears-5 high,5 low,and 5 reverse. Doctorturbo has autoshift which he has the choice to use or to shift manualy, I don't. But when I'm in first gear low range no matter what happens my maximum speed is about 3 1/2 to 4 mph. Your grizzly in low range with a CVT, if you should nail the throttle by mistake your speed is about 20 mph. Losing what little traction you had on a rock. Gears is rockcrawling, I know, I was doing it in a Jeep 25 years ago whith just a Detroit locker and the sweat of my browl. Only losers and knot- heads would 4 wheel with an automatic. Especially when going down a steep hill and their brakes would over heat and fade. Of the ones that lived to tell about it. Well they slobber their food and, and, well you get the idea. Its probably a little nicer now that there are the auto down hill brake systems. But when I'm in a pack. I see all them with their brake lights on going down hill. You know the price of replacment brakes. I just burn an extra drop or two of gas in 1st gear or 2nd gear, low range. And I have no problem when I leave off the gas switching from low to high range.
Getting back to the front axil. Who cares if it flips the atv or not. I know my front axil, always has enough torque to turn that 4th wheel. Engagment is so lightning quick. If I get somewhere for some rocks I'll post to the fourm. Just as I told you about getting stuck at the beginning of this post, I'll tell you if my bomb sucks.
God forbid! If you really maesure your self by your rockcrawling. Get gears. Whether its a bomb or not. Do it right and don't slobber your food.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

well I thought this fourm was about the recreational atver. You may have heard of him he actually has to save up or god forbid buy a quad on credit. He or she has to run it around stock while they make payments. Silly me. Just as any race car would be impractical for the street. Mr. I am the law tells us that everything that a race buggy does to win a race is just as practical for the weekend enthusiast. Forget about the money do it cause your nothing with out the mods. If you have to mix apples and oranges (Pro versius amature). Heck Why go on???????????

Old 03-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

The only riding I do with my Grizz is rock crawling as well!! It has to be one of the most demanding situations for a 4x4 whether it be quad or Jeep or Hybrid!

That being said, Rhino is definately 100 % correct as well, as ALL the pro class rock crawlers use AUTOMATIC transmissions and 90% of the modified vehicles(hybrids, jeeps, etc) use AUTOMATIC transmissions!! You truly need to do some research on that aspect of rock crawling! About the only time you see manual transmissions is if they have a WEAK motor, and you say the braking would suck on automatics???? LOL!!!!!! I think you need to check the modern tranny and gear set ups as they will crawl just as slow going down as they will going up without hardly even having to apply the brakes!

Old 03-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, who won?

Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll buy that beer for you!