Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Help w/camo fender covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/camo fender covers

Can anyone help on camo fender covers? I have been researching for months and I have taken any of the tape or sticky stuff off the consideration list. This stuff is garbage, looks good the day you put it on and then it starts peeling, ripping, and you cannot get it in any tight places without cutting it and that just looks like crap.

So, I have been looking at Moose and James Greene covers. They look pretty cool, just havent seen any up close and personal. Saw a guy with a Polaris Sportsman this weekend who had this kit that seemed to just snap and velcro on and it was cool. He got it at the Polaris dealer but I doubt Polaris makes it. I'm sold, just looking to the experts for their opinion!!!

2004 Kodiak 450 4x4

Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I do not know your answer. But I see you bought a Kodiak450 too, how do you like it so far? Did you get any extras with it?

Also welcome to the forum's.

One more thing, what color did you get(?), I know it is not the camo one. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I like it, I have the same color as you. The only mods so far are I added the full array of Yamaha aluminum skid plates (a-arm, bash, engine, and swingarm), maier hand guards, and gun rack. I got a Warn 2.5 winch thrown in with the deal. I do not buy realtree camo, so the camo version was not an option. I hate that everything that has realtree is extra money. From a $2 item to a quad. Bill Jordan isnt going to get rich off of me. That just pisses me off, so I boycotted realtree years ago. Ask around about these camo covers for me and let me know if you find anything out, or you can just e-mail me directly to chat. These forums are cool to find out info but it is a pain weeding all of the opinionated and junk posts.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

GMonet, I hear you on the biased info, I have figured out how to read between the lines. You say you did the underneath protection, did you smash up the old or did replace it for the extra strength? I have seen acouple threads on the foot wells cracking so I will have to be careful I do not drop it onto a rock.

I have some Realtree outfits but my wife bought the material at Wallyworld for a couple bucks a yard(polar fleece) and made me some nice coats and pullovers for hunting. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

I tried to buy these when I bought my 400 in January but they were out of stock....they're in now I believe.

Cabelas is the place.....

Cabela's Fender Cover

Old 03-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

I know a guy who has a set and loves them. All his camo matches. Even his helmet I personaly don't get it. To me,any animal your trying to "hide" from is going to know your coming. I think I'll just throw a camo net over mine when I get to the blind. To each his own I guess.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I want it just to protect the plastic, and for aestetic reasons only. I am not really trying to hide from the deer or anything with it! I did order the ones from James Greene-they are the ones that Cabela's sells. I also found out that they manufacture the covers for Moose and Polaris as well, so basically they are all the same thing, no matter who you buy from, although if anyone is interested, you can but them directly from the maufacturer cheaper and they ship them for free. Go to www.greenemountain.net and check them out.

I will post my opinion when I get them.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: luny2nz
I know a guy who has a set and loves them. All his camo matches. Even his helmet I personaly don't get it. To me,any animal your trying to "hide" from is going to know your coming. I think I'll just throw a camo net over mine when I get to the blind. To each his own I guess.
The guys that I know that have camo ATV or ATV covers use them so that others won't see their ATV as easily. A bright red or yellow ATV stuck in the brush still shows up from a distance. With the camo you need to be a lot closer to pick it out.

Nothing nefarious going on mind you. Many times they park quite a distance from their stands or hunting areas and would like to make the ATV a little less visible to potential thieves or vandals. I have a friend who owns a ranch in Colorado and he painted his ATVs camouflage. Their worse problem is vandalism. Animal rights types mostly and they will destroy any piece of equipment they can see from the road. The less seen the better.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

That's a good point CaptainQuint, I personally wouldn't try to be hiding from the prey that I was pursuing by using camo as much as I would be using it simply for protection on my Ute. I like to keep my stuff in nice condition and I think those covers would help. The Camo part just looks cool!

Speaking of pursuing anmals...one of the main reasons I jumped on the ATV bandwagon was for hunting. One morning, a couple hours before sun up, I hiked back into a real nice valley and got all settled in and waited for first light. At first light I started glassing the valley floor and edges and sure enough, there are the Muley's I'm looking for about 1000 yards out but all were Does. I watched them for well over an hour as they worked their way towards me until they got within 50 yards of me, upwind. I hear this ATV coming up the valley from below and watched the deer closely as they looked for the noise but continued to browse. It was rather funny as this guy finally comes up the valley and gets within maybe 25 yards of the deer before he even knows they are there, he sees them and darn near falls off his quad in exitement as they stand and look at him and continue to feed. He pulls hs rifle ff the racks and grabs a handfull of binoculars hoping to turn one of them into a Buck. Not this time! He is clueless to my presence as I'm totally camoed and nestled in the rocks with only an orange hat sitting on the rock above my head. He thinks this is deer haven and parks his quad about 20 yards from my location, shuts it down, and is ready to scour my valley. It was very quiet out and just as he lifted the rifle off of the rack I said in a clear voice "no deer here now!" He jumped about as high as I have ever seen a white guy jump! I was nice about it and he loaded up and moved on making all kinds of racket at what should have been prime deer movement time. Watching those deer react to him was a good lesson I think, it's amazing what they will tolerate. The other good lesson was that I could have got to my spot with a hell of a lot less sweating if I had an ATV. I won't road hunt on it like he did but I will get to where I want to be, get off and get settled without burning so many calories as in the past.

Funny thing too, not 5 minutes after he popped over the hill, a Forky popped up and over right behind him and bedded down not 100 yards from me. Rather than shooting the little guy, I put the sneak on him and shot him with my digital camera. It was funny cuz when he saw me, he wanted to fight me. He was grunting and scratching like he wanted to really kick my ***. Cute little guy! Next year I'll go back and visit HIM!