Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Do they make a fairly fast utility atv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do they make a fairly fast utility atv?

I know the Rinny will not take the Prairie, but it holds it's own. It definately needs a lower gear, I've found that it just takes a little more work without it. for 90% of riding, you can get away with it. But oh boy is it tricky trying to use the brakes and manipulate the 600lb monster when doing very slow/steep technical stuff. My Foreman does way better and easier to handle in those situations.
The Rinny is not a work horse like a true utility, but it gets by. Hondas idea for the Rinny is basically a SUV style of quad. Depending on what kind of work you need to do, there is definately better ones out there.
A K&N filter and jetting do help it, not sure what else. Mine has no mods yet. I rode one with filter and jetting and something else (can't remember), I noticed a difference.
========
FROM sledheadrich:
Quit touchin' yourself.
LOL

Old 04-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Trailblazer

I had my Outy just a hair past 50 mph today. I had to let up because I ran out of road.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Range Rover

I test rode all the 500+ cc bikes before buying my P700... The guys I ride with , there is a mix bag of big bore bikes.... 500 vinson, 650 rincon, 660 grizzly, P650, and a 650AC..... the P700 does the mud, hills, trails , cat & mouse, everything just as well, if not better then any bike out there.... plus in drags, forget it... the P700 will outrun them all bone stock. Pop on a $100 module, and new jets, and it'll be 15 bikes ahead in 300 yrds!! AS for ride..the P700 is decent.. not quite as soft as the IRS.. but it's by no means stiff. You rdon't get tired or sore, even on long romp rides. One thing I've noticed after trying many bikes... the V-twin is MUCH easier on the hands!! All the single cylinder bikes felt buzzy in the grips once you wound them up.... the P700 is smooth as silk at any rpm!!

my2cnts
Happy trails!!

Old 04-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Vinson is a very fast quad for a 500.It is a very sportyride too.The only fault I had with mine was the factory Dunlops. They must be 2 ply because they get punctured very easy on the sidewalls. The Vinson has high and low range and selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive,aluminum wheels from the factory and a 5699.00 price tag . worth a look.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

My rancher 350 (which is actually a 330), with 589's tops out right at 47ish even with my 220lbs on it.

Do i want to go 50 on my quad? only on hardpack and in a straight away.

But with its tractor like first gear, i can climb any hill. and it pull alot more than the rated weight.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a magnum force nitrous system on my Kodiak 450. If I need to go fast I can, and I do not have to deal with aftermarket jetting and pipes. FYI, I can keep up with any utility quad and most sport quads on the straitaways, and I did it for less than $500.00. A pipe, jet kit and air filter will run you close to that and you will get 5hp max out of that. I basically doubled my horsepower when I need it. The tank and solenoids fit comfortably under the seat-you have to give up you under seat storage though. SO WHAT! Its worth it. Its worth it just to see the looks on the sport quad guys faces when you are right on their A$$ on the straights.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

GMonet where did you get this nitrous system from and was it made for the kodiak.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

A fellow put that kit on a Sportsman 500 here and it woke it up big time.... It's worth it however I heard for me the cost of the nitro to burn will eat up the difference in money spent but you will have fun burning money with it! It really made it really fast and he was just able to keep up to me and he asked me what I'ved done to mine and I said it was stock even though it wasn't.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

Curious.... the nitrous does give more power, but most util quads have a rev limiter so low it prevents alot of the benefit of using that power for speed. So how does it help your K450 faster? I can see where it would make it accellerate faster to the rev limiter... but the cost of the NO2 (nitrous..NOT nitro... which is Nitro-Methane, like used in drag cars) seems a bit steep, plus the tiny bottles that would fit under the seat might give you what?.... 10sec of boost?

I've done Nitrous in street/drag cars for years... I just can't see the bang for buck benefit for a ATV..unless your doing pulling or hill racing?

Old 04-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Of course your pals Kawasaki Bayou 250 will be slow, it is a freakin 250, 250's should only be allowed in dirtbikes. You want to c speed? Get yourself a sportsman 700 Twin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is fast. Flip it in 2 wheel drive, and bam, you have yourself an oversized, but large motored sport quad.

Quick Reply: Do they make a fairly fast utility atv?