Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

500cc shootout sportsman vs vinson vs foreman vs actic cat vs bombarodar

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500cc shootout sportsman vs vinson vs foreman vs actic cat vs bombarodar

Vinson = NO rear articulation. Up and down is it. Dual shocks do not make articulation. To my knowledge, there are exactly ZERO solid axle quads that have a 4-link or 5-link setup that would allow independent movement... like on my Jeep! Look at my pics and you'll see articulation.

CVs are weaker, that's just how it is. They are designed for quiet, reliable, high angle operation, not highest strength. Toyota uses a joint called a Birfield that is virtually the same as a CV joint, and they break all the time. There are actually Birfield Eliminator kits that replace them with Dana44 ujoints.

My friend Terry has CTM ujoints and axle shafts in his D44 front end Jeep, and he's broken them. Nothing is indestructible!

Old 05-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default 500cc shootout sportsman vs vinson vs foreman vs actic cat vs bombarodar

Originally posted by: bigwannabe
Originally posted by: aksafari
...4) I'm not even talking about driver skill in this list...
...Articulation gives you some impressive pictures, and gives you a better feeling of stability, but isn't nearly as important as pure driver skill...
I don't care what people think one way or the other. I like my sportsman 500ho and it does what I want. I do have to point out though that you contradicted yourself in the above statement. In one part you say you aren't talking about driver skill and in the next part you are saying how important it is.

Could you clarify your stance on this? Thanks.

Clarification :I'm NOT talking about driver skill. That was pretty clear when I said I'm NOT talking about driver skill, right? geez, how clear do I have to be? All that typing for nothing, apparantly. That was a list of IMPORTANT things. I chose to leave out driver skill because it was the OBVIOUS #1, right? I mean, is there any doubt that a good driver makes everything happen? Otherwise, couldn't anyone just jump on a bike and race Doug Gust? Or pull a backflip on their YZ250 like an x-games pro? come on, man. cut me some slack here.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

You got that right. I know several people who have way more skill on an ATV than me. If they were on a tricycle they would still probably kick my a$$ on the trail but that doesn't make the tricycle better than my ATV. Just a thought...

Old 05-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Vinson = NO rear articulation. Up and down is it. Dual shocks do not make articulation. To my knowledge, there are exactly ZERO solid axle quads that have a 4-link or 5-link setup that would allow independent movement... like on my Jeep! Look at my pics and you'll see articulation.

CVs are weaker, that's just how it is. They are designed for quiet, reliable, high angle operation, not highest strength. Toyota uses a joint called a Birfield that is virtually the same as a CV joint, and they break all the time. There are actually Birfield Eliminator kits that replace them with Dana44 ujoints.

My friend Terry has CTM ujoints and axle shafts in his D44 front end Jeep, and he's broken them. Nothing is indestructible!

Arctic Cat makes a 4 link straight axle rear end, called the ACT. Go check it out, it's a cool setup

Old 05-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

THIS IS FOR YOU POLARIS GUYS, POLARIS STANDS FOR PEOPLE OFTEN LEARN ABOUT REALIABILTY ISSUES SOON

Old 05-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

I just did 80 miles on our Sportsman today. Pulled out a Foreman, and had to wait most of the time for the Hondas to catch up.

Not that I'm complaining... it was a great day out... until I came here and some moron is trying to be funny.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

The HUMMER ( the real ones, not the knock offs) have 4 wheel IFS and IRS. When the military needed the best off road set up money could buy this is what AMC came up with. Solid rears have their place, cheap and strong, they are good for sliding around turns and keeping the bike level But when you want all 4 tires on the ground IRS and IFS is the only way to go, be it a ATV truck or car.

Old 12-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

the bayou 250 rear suspension moves side to side

Originally posted by: Bluethumb

Arctic Cat makes a 4 link straight axle rear end, called the ACT. Go check it out, it's a cool setup

Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Why do polaris mechanics work so much overtime ?

Old 12-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

lol...that was cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]...polaris is gettin better aren't they?

Quick Reply: 500cc shootout sportsman vs vinson vs foreman vs actic cat vs bombarodar