Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

To Much Power????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Much Power????

Just got the latest edition of Dirt Wheels, and they dissed the new Brute Force for having to much power! Couldn't keep the front end down when powering out of a turn. Have we reached the upper limit of practical power here???

I would much rather see manufacturers concentrate on handling and lightening these huge bikes up, rather than having a contest to see who can stuff the biggest powerplant into a frame.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no. your nuts. its a utility quad.

Old 08-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

No he's not nuts. If you can't keep the front end down on the level, think about climbing a steep hill like a riverbank and accidentally giving it too much juice. Ouch.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always enjoyed "great throttle response", but when it is uncontrollable it becomes a problem.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would like to see a decent amount of power in a 300 pound 4x4 with a selectable 4 wheel drive. Torsen diff.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

you can never have too much power. You dont always have to give it full throttle.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

I agree...just don't give it full throttle unless you need it. Do you always floor it when you're driving a car, I don't think so so why in an ATV? I would like for them to lightend these up some but they still need to be able to handle the workload we put these things through. The one thing I do miss on the big rides is the ability to pop and ride those wheelies. If these new monsters can provide this awesome feelings then I say give me one. If they can do this then why have a sport quad?

Old 08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago, I put some taller tires (Holeshot XCT's) on my 400EX. This is a trail bike, so I didn't want to lose any low end power. So, I went 1 tooth lower on the front sprocket. It was great for play riding and jumping, because the slightest blip of the throstle would loft the front end. But, I learned my lesson the hard way when I powered out of a corner! The front came up, no steering, and off the trail it went (luckily it was a sandy trail and no harm done). My eventual solution was to just go one tooth larger in the back, but you can't make those gearing changes on a shaft drive.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

just read the article and here are my thoughts:

1.) they really seem to like the BF until the very end where they heavily diss it. even the last line in the article saying it's overpriced for what you get is just plain out of line and takes away from the credibility of the magazine IMO.
2.) they only thing i see where the BF is maybe needing refinement is trying to get it a lower center of gravity
3.) THIS THING MUST BE A POWER LOAD!

Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

i got the new DW and i think they are just punks, their too weak to handle a quad like that. more power is better but dont give it full throttle like them retards when going a round corners

Quick Reply: To Much Power????