Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

My Rancher AT, Need a plow...cycle country 48" or 54"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rancher AT, Need a plow...cycle country 48" or 54"?

Hi Guys, we just got a family ATV, The 2004 Honda 400AT!

It's been a fun machine, I am set on a snowplow for it. We have decided to go with the cycle country manual lift, they have the work power series in 48" and in 2004 as seen on their www.cyclecountry.com website they have a new Workpower 2000 54" straight blade (only in black) I was set on the new 54" model until I read some of the good things about the 48"...

Our driveway will take some creative pushing as it's not just straight. I have heard that the driveway itself is the determining factor as well as the machine the plow will be mounted too.

If this is true, I'll try and give a description of the surface area - The application is blacktop and an L shape, in front of the garage doors it's about 34' wide, that area in front of the garage doors is about 40 deep and then makes the L shape and heads down towards the street at about 18' wide - basically a big L 70' from the curb to the top of the L, we have sidewalks (not sure how wide...maybe 48"?)

I have heard and read on cycle country .com that the new 54" is supposed to be an ideal plow... Hopefully it'll be comparable to the easy lifting of the 48" which I sampled at the dealer.

Not sure about when angled if it'll tear up the grass on the walks if it hangs over a few inches?

Do you guys plow with the blade angled normally, and leave it that way for the job?

Do you think I should go with the 48' or 54" cycle country blade for my needs?

I have decided to go w/the manual but am undecided on the plow... check out www.cyclecountry.com and select products, then blades, the straight and the choices will pop up. The 54" cycle country (part # 10-0170) is not something dealers yet have in stock or even in their catalogs but can order, I have found a few dealers that have it (not local though) The cycle country rep on the phone was very nice.

Any direction on this would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

Old 10-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

I would recommend the 54" blade. You have to remember that by the time you tilt it, you won't actually be covering that much. We have a plow for our sportsman, originally ordered a 48" but then after thinking called back and got the 60". it works great and we're glad we've got the larger one, the other would be too small I think. Our sportsman has no problem pushing it either. As far as tearing up the grass, if you're plowing snow i'm guessing the ground will be frozen, so don't worry about that. We plow both with the blade straight and angled, just depends how and where we want to push the snow. I hope some of this helps.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Hi . I have a 48" plow . I like that it can do my sidewalk ...but I sometimes find myself wishing I had gone up a size when I am doing the drive. I think 54" would be a great size. I use my winch to raise the plow so when I am on the sidewalk I just leave the blade up a inch so I do not destroy the lawn.

PINKMOON

Old 10-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer

Formula and Pinkmoon, thanks for the reply's - The 54" was what I was originally thinking until I went by the shop where they have the 48 and 60" cc on hand, the salesman told me that he plows the lot with both and the 60" was so big he felt more comfortable with the 48" and if he had the choice he'd opt for the 48".... Do you think the 54" will add much more effort to lift the blade? my wife is all for this and if I know what's good for me, I get one that she can use, the 48" on their demo was a breeze to lift.

I would think that especially in a parking lot the 60" would be an advantage, as you indicated you're happier with the 60" as an owner, he just works there and doesn't own one so maybe that's why he's sheepish about the 60"

Our drive is awqward, I might need to experiment as mentioned with the blade angle. The thing is that with our snow blower it's always shooting at an angle, sometimes left or sometimes right and yep in spots where I can push off the snow it's straight.

Did you guys ever here of the electric angle by cycle country?

The more I think about it...that might be a good idea? Is there a way yo paste in photos into this window?

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences,

Phil

Old 10-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hi litegide...I should mention that I know my 48" works well. I have a big drive and it takes very little time ( especially compared to a snowblower ) to do my drive. I hated snowblowing but I really enjoy plowing with my wheeler. I would think the 60" would do fine on my wheeler BUT I have never used one so who knows for sure.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

PINKMOON

Old 10-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

The part number for the Cycle country electric angle kit is Part: 10-0160, not sure if this would add much weight to the plow, so might then lean towards the electric lift part # 10-0103?

Thank you,

Phil

Old 10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
K2
Trailblazer

I have the cycle country 48 manual lift on my Rubicon and it works great. I agree that lifting is a beeze - it can be done with just a couple fingers, it's that easy... and fast. After doing a number of drives in my neighborhood, I also don't tire from it.

As far as size goes, the 48 works for me since I have to squeeze it out my garage. My drive is only about 140 ft straight and about 12 expanding to 18 ft wide. I also do my neighbors which is 140 ft long and expands to 40 ft wide where I have pushed snow into piles of 4-5+ feet... but I still like the smaller size to whip around in the space I have. No matter what size you have, you won't finish in just a few passes as the snow tends to roll off the sides of the blade so you'll end up doing a few more "clean up" passes. The 6 additional inches might make a minor difference if you have the space to manauver it and any additional cost isn't an issue.

I don't have sidewalks, but think the 48, when angled, would fit for sure and I agree with a prior post that the ground is usually hard enough to take it. I have scrapped up some minor lawn before, but never noticed it in the spring when it grew back.

My only complaint would be that after one season the paint started to peel on the blade face. It seems to be from salt spread on the street and then getting on the blade when I plow the end of the driveway. Maybe wipe off any snow stuck on the blade after each use - I now remember seeing that slushy (and salty) stuff stuck on the blade when I would park it.

Have fun - your neighbors are gonna love ya.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 50 inch Moose plow ..I have a 80 ft by 24 ft driveway and i dont think the 60 inch would be much faster . when i turn it to the side it goes right down the 48inch sidewalk . if you are not careful you can tear up the grass but i like it because ,you cant see it in the spring when it growes back and i dont have to edge in the summer .killing 2 birds with one stone lol...

Another thing where I live in nebraska we get allot of heavy wet snow and i think that anything biger would raise up faster in big snow cause mine does it a little.

All in all i think you will like the smaller one the best ..