Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

700cc+ ATV owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700cc+ ATV owners

Do you MONSTER quad owners believe your quads can go more places than at 400 or 500cc class machine? Have you ever witnessed a friend that couldn't follow you because they didn't have the extra power of your quad? I have been riding for a long time and have never seen this.

Just a few years ago the largest quad out there was a 300cc and we all thought this quad could take us anywhere so why now do we all NEED these 700cc+ machines? I'm happy with my smaller Vinson and will only upgrade when this thing gives out on me.

I live in Alaska where fishing is a HUGE sport. I see these people come to the hole looking all pretty using only the most expensive gear. As I stand there with my 15 year old rod & reel enjoying life I am happy. When I reel my 25 pound King Salmon in I think to myself, it doesn't get any better than this.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

Outrage,

I couldn't agree with you more that these bigger machines are excessive and real don't help you go places smaller ones can't. I am always up for it to follow anyone anywhere on my 350. The one thing I am wondering is what year was 300 the biggest atv out there? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

In my situation it's not just the engine size that makes a decision to upgrade, look at all the other improvements or added features that the older or smaller models don't offer....

Old 12-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Good points by all! I've flown the flag for the Vinson since I got it. I've never seen a situation where a smaller quad counldn't go where a big bore went. On the other hand, I HAVE seen the big bore get there FASTER. Slider makes the most the most valid point. The bigger (read newer) quads are the "flagships" thus come "loaded". The manufact's are in a displacement war, just like the auto makers were/are, and if they don't add cc's, they are at an instant "sales" disadvantage. The more exp. rider/buyer can over look the hype, but the newbies.........Outrage, I know you've been flirting w/ the KQ, do you really feel that you need one? Oh, I want one, but my rational side tells me the 496cc's hasn't failed me yet! Plus, I think the Vinson is the best looking ute out there! Looks, ability, reliability, fun......same qualities I have in my woman, and I married HER. So, I guess I'll stay married to my Vinson too. Then, I'll keep her (the Vinson) in the family, and start a harem (along w/ the Rancher) when the urge cannot be resisted any longer!

Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I can get there faster.....if you ride where I do, you'll be using your horsepower and speed to get from one place to another....I was driving 31 miles from my camp to get to an area I shot my elk....got there alot quicker than I did when I had my 500.....I can also plow snow and rocks much easier....

I also can pack more on my racks and load more in my Otter trailer to tow behind my machine....so, for me, the 'monster' is definitely and advantage....

Old 12-31-2004, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

With some of the thick mud I go through you need the extra cc's, my friend on a 450 honda could not even turn his tires while mine spun freely and I ended up having to pull him out.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

12/31/2004

Hi All,

As a newbie, I will weight in on this subject...

Why did I buy a 700??? Because I didn't have a clue... :-) But it did have the options I was looking for, Auto Trans, Diff Lock, Low range and IRS. Later I found others with similar setup but I had already bought a King. Later I found the price for a 450 size bike and my 700 isn't that big of difference once you really look at it.. So I bought one for the wife... hehehehhe She learned to ride on the KQ and it just didn't seem to be any reason to get her a small one.

Speed isn't a concern for us, load carrying and the ablitiy to haul stuff are important on my Families farm when I get the chance to go. Anyway I feel lucky to have made the purchase that I did and I don't think I would change even if I could... By next year there will be a lot of bigger and more powerful bikes but I don't see any reason at this time why I would bother to upgrade...

Later,

Hibrass

Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Outrage,

I grew up on bikes and ATV's and <U>sometimes</U> a little light quad like a 250cc Beartacker is easier to ride than a big bore. Where I ride in AZ I do like the top end speed of the big quads. I do 60mph going from riding trail to riding trail. Little quads just seem to get worked to death trying to keep up. Once the trail gets rough all quads above 400cc seem to even out. There are some places where I ride that a 300cc quad just simply will not have the low end grunt to get me up the hill. So then you back up get a good run at it and beat the poor little quad up more then necessary. If your riding does not require a bigger quad I would not buy one. Here in AZ there are a lot of open spaces and nice wide open sandy mountains that all beg for more ponies and speed then what a little quad can deliver.

Old 12-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you all. IMO a 500cc machine with all the options you want is all anyone will ever need. I don't belive a 700cc quad will go much faster either but I guess that depends on what your opinion is of "much". They do make some riding (especally work) easier and some said they got them to carry more so they got a KQ. Have you seen the racks on the KQ? What were they thinking, my Vinson racks are bigger. Some said they got them for mud riding and I can agree to a point but IMO ground clearance and tires make more of a difference than how many CCs you have.

4xZuk,
I was thinking of the KQ but it wasn't because I didin't like the Vinny it was because I'm thinking EFI and IRS may be better for me here in Alaska. I will probably NOT get one but will more than likely end up getting a 400cc machine for the wife and friends that come up to visit.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 12-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i started riding on a 2000 polaris 500 H.O.

500CC's is all anyone really needs, but i upgraded to the 800 mainly because, there are places that my 500 will bog down so i wanted a bigger engine.

also a reason to get a big bore, EFI isnt featured on smaller engines as of late, there for EFI is a good thing and is overall cheaper in the long run for vairying situations. on the same topic of fuel, your smaller bore engine will have to work harder and use more gasoline to get to the same places a big bore will, there for, your engine life will be decreaced, and consequently maintnence will be more as parts will wear out faster. and along on that note, you will probebly be paying for more gasoline.

just make the compairison of why your getting a Ford F-350 with a 6.3 liter V10 over a toyota tundra with a 3 liter V6

Quick Reply: 700cc+ ATV owners