Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking for a 2wd utility.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 2wd utility.

I currently own a '96 Honda TRX300 4wd. It is sold as soon as I can find a replacement. What I have in mind is the same but 2wd. My wife has one so I know what I'm getting into. My question is what else is out there that fits the bill. I am real familure with the Honda line, but not so much the others. Must be at least 300cc, with racks.

Matt

Old 01-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Its a honda, not 300 cc, but 229 or something like that. The honda recon is a really good utility atv for 2wd. I hear if you get some nice tires, yo can go over just about anything a 4x4 can get through.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

The Honda Recon is a nice quad, but a lil to small and likes to pop the front end up, and seems to want to roll easier. IMO, only. I have ridden one quite abit, and have a blast on em. I bought the Yamaha Big Bear in 2x4. A little bit bigger machine. 400 cc's both front and rear racks. I've never had a problem with it at all. It does well in all terrains, and is quite spunky for a 400cc ute. Just playing around I raced a polaris 500 h.0, a honda foreman 450, and a recon all at the same time. The Polaris took the hole shot, along with the foreman, but I came back and passed em both in the long run. The foreman was real close though. It seemed the Polaris just topped out, dont know for sure. Over all I love my Big Bear, its light enough to spin the *** end around, and pop a few bump wheelies (using some small bump to get started). Its not the fastest quad, but I will get sompin to feed that fire when the time comes. It has great ground clearace, and is really comforatable for long trails. I found mine for 3995 otd, and I think they quit making em in 2x4, so you might be able to find a 04 like me, or even an 03 pretty cheap. Honda also makes a Rancher in 2x4 I think they still do. Suzuki makes the Eiger in 2x4. All of these quads would be a great replacement for what you have. Good luck, hope I was of help.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to agree the big bear is a great quad for the money.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Bruin 350, I dont know much about the 2wd one, but ive herd good things about the 4x4 one lol

Old 01-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MHWASH
I currently own a '96 Honda TRX300 4wd. It is sold as soon as I can find a replacement. What I have in mind is the same but 2wd. My wife has one so I know what I'm getting into. My question is what else is out there that fits the bill. I am real familure with the Honda line, but not so much the others. Must be at least 300cc, with racks.

Matt
Would you keep the TRX300 if you could switch it into 2 wheel drive? You could install a Warn 424.
Or do you just want something newer?

Are you sure that you want a 2x4 ute? How about a sport quad since you're getting a 2 wheel drive?

Some 2 wheel drive ute choices would be the Eiger, Rancher 350, and the Bruin.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

[quote]
Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
Originally posted by: MHWASH

Matt

Are you sure that you want a 2x4 ute? How about a sport quad since you're getting a 2 wheel drive?

Not to long after buying the ute 2x4 I was wanting a sporty. Dont get me wrong I love the Bear, its great fun, just at lower speeds, and no jumping qualities. I ended up buying the 2x4 ute cuz I needed some work out of it, but also wanted some play. Now that I have my Bear I will be on the lookout for a sporty next purchase. Can never have to many quads IMO!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

the big bear was my choice 2x4 does everything i wan't and more

Old 01-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The honda formen 500 comes in 2X4. the polaris trailboss 330 is 2X4. the polaris magnum 330 is a 2X4,
but if i was you i would get the scrambler and then put some after market racks on. it's sporty in 2X4 and 4X4 well i will let the Scarmbler owners tell you how that is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Edit~ oh yeah i think the outlander comes in a form of 2X4 not shure if its the 330 or the 400 but there both very good quads~Edit

Old 01-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the suggestions. A tipical ride includes a dog box on the back and a small cooler on the front. Thus, I definetly need a ute. If the wife would cooperate, and take the kid and the dog and the coolers I could get away with the sport bike. BigBaller, we ride with a couple of Recons, and they are just too small. My budget is pretty tight, with 3k about my limit. The used 2wd utes are pretty hard to come by around here.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 2wd utility.