Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Which 500 4x4 is good for plowing snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 500 4x4 is good for plowing snow?

Snow blower takes too long and the scrammy 500 is only 2wd. So i'm going to sell the scrammy and am looking to buy a 500 4x4 that's good for plowing snow yet sporty on the trails. Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of them.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

I do not seek to turn this into a belt versus non-belt thread and certainly do not want to make it a "Honda is great and everything else sucks" thread but ...

Of the many advantages to a hydrostatic drive, plowing would have to be about the very top of the list. Look at it this way, just about every piece of construction equipment from backhoes and loaders to dozers, pans and scrapers/graders and rollers ALL use hydrostatic drive in one form or another; NONE that I am aware of use a belt!

With that said, I generally do not like belts and generally prefer things mechanical that say "HONDA" on them, but putting that aside, for plowing, pushing, pulling and other slow speed-high load operaitons hydrostatic rules.

So ... I said all of that to say this: Hydrostatic drive + 500cc + Honda = Rubicon. I love mine!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

If you are looking to buy brand new then I have something for you to consider... I highly suggest the Brute Force 650. I was sold on the '05 Vinson 500 manual (very good quad) until I realized that the Brute Force 650 is the same price (within $300) as all of the 500's (MSRP $6599)! That's a no brainer, especially if you want to work AND play with the quad. You can't beat the power and versatility for the price IMO.

I was in the same position as you a month ago. I wanted a quad to plow with and the Scrambler just wasn't it. (It's now up for sale BTW) Judging by your signature, you put a lot of cash into that Scrambler to make it faster. If you are going to get a 500cc quad and end up putting more cash into it down the road, then spend the $200-$300 more on the BF 650 and get more power from the start, plus a lot of capability for more down the road. The Honda is a good reliable quad, but their prices are always too high for what you get IMO. I'm not going to spend more $$$ on a quad solely for the fact that it's a Honda. I want power and performance!

Good luck with whatever you get.

BTW, most dealers near me only want $5999 for the BF650.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

only plowing issue with a Rubicon is it is kinda slow in reverse, but the tranny is much more solid than any of the belts and shifting back and forth is a breeze

I paid $5500 for a new Rubicon, so it wasn't soooo expensive. And I did not buy it just for the sake of being a Honda. The hydraulic tranny "performance" is better than any belt. Plenty of "power" for the machine's intended purpose, and it will still stand up when you stab the throttle if you're a show-off. I didn't need or want 70 MPH out of a utility quad. Additionally, resale value will make up for any initial difference in price

IMO, I would still go for the manual Vinson if sport is more important (shifting back and forth is still easier with a belt or hydro) or an 05 Rubicon (with the improved ride, 2 or 4WD, disc brakes) over a brand that is known for a lesser performing belt transmission, even if it does have surplus power.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I do not seek to turn this into a belt versus non-belt thread and certainly do not want to make it a "Honda is great and everything else sucks" thread but ...
Neither do I, but...

IMO, I would still go for the manual Vinson if sport is more important (shifting back and forth is still easier with a belt or hydro) or an 05 Rubicon (with the improved ride, 2 or 4WD, disc brakes) over a brand that is known for a lesser performing belt transmission, even if it does have surplus power.
I realize that is your opinion propnut, but calling the tranny a "lesser performing belt transmission" is just rediculous.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

IF you are looking for a plowing quad, can't beat the Arctic Cat or Polaris. Both have some weight into them and ground clearance. Belts are not an issue for plowing. The only people who have a problem with belt drives are those that don't own them.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't take a honda if they were giving them out free. Ya want the best rig out there for plowing or riding it's the 660 Grizz don't listen to these biased experts!

Old 01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would have to say the Polaris Sportsman500HO is the best 500cc quad for plow and the main reson is
it has alotof weight to it! wich means more traction.it has one powerfull motor so you can push more snow! and with all the ground clearens and the ondemand 4x4,irs,veryplush ride, it cant be beat! and it comes with realy good tire from the factory so you basicly only need to get on and plow to your harts content!

oh and i am not saying the other quad are not good i am just saying this one is better . oh and i like belt better cuz in hevy duty work i would rather have a belt fail the the hole transmition!duh....

Old 01-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know about polaris scrambler for pushing snow. It is probably great. But since its an AWD quad, you might be pushing most of the snow in 2wd until the tires slip, and since its so heavy, it wont slip so easily. I plow snow with my 04 rubicon, its great. I love the great tranny. Its especialy great in deep snow, because it has 2 low gears, LOW and esp 1. I plow so much with it and its fine, I put 400 miles on it of just plowing. Slow reverse is not a factor because you get power in it, to get through, and over things. I would go for the rubicon, most people dont like it because its "JUST A 500 WITH AND EXPENSIVE MSRP" but for a 500 that thing has power, not alot of speed though...

Quick Reply: Which 500 4x4 is good for plowing snow?