Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Slow speed dilemma help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow speed dilemma help

I have a dilemma with choosing the best ATV for mainly slow speed work. I do a lot of spraying up and down steep hills, including stopping and reversing up steep slopes with a heavy spray pack on the back, often in hot conditions. I am deciding between 3 ATV's - Honda Rancher 350 Manual, Yamaha Big Bear Manual, and Suzuki Eiger 400 Manual (I prefer manuals).

Has anyone have experience with these bikes in this kind of conditions? Also it has to be ultra-reliable in slow, hard, hot work. I like the look of the Honda, but it doesn't have Lo/Hi range so maybe 1'st gear and reverse won't be low enough? It is also the most expensive and has less features. The Suzuki has the most features, but I'm not sure about reliability. The Yamaha hasn't got a front LSD like the others, and has a higher centre of gravity so it may be more prone to tipping over?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because where I live, Demo rides are not easy to organise, particularly up and down steep hills.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Youre right to look for one with a low range, but I would look for water cooled too. Too bad youve eliminated the autos, Id think of using them first, if I did alot of low speed travel and work. Is the rubicon too big or too much? Its defenitly got enough power, and is very reliable.
What have you been using, and why arent you interested in getting another one like it?

Old 01-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Eiger would be the best of the three you are looking at. The Eiger is the only one with liquid cooling, which you definitely need for what you will be doing.................Check this web site out....... www.atvtv.com ........... they have a review on the Eiger, there might be something on there you might want to know. The have reviews on several 400 and 500 class 4x4's.

I agree with Hondabuster, you should look at the autos. I thought the way you did at one time about autos vs. manual shift. I have to admit, the autos sure spoil you.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

We do a lot of the same kind of work around our place with the 360 Prairie and have found it to have plenty of power and very easy to control. It's belt drive with hi/low and air cooled. No problems with overheating during ambiant temperatures ranging to the upper 90's with very low humidity.

Not pushing the Kawasaki but you might want to consider some of the excellent air cooled and automatic machines out there.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

You should look at the Polaris

Rugged Polaris 330, 4-stroke, air-cooled engine with fan-assist oil cooler.
Magnum 330 4x4 features
Sealed front storage box; maximum box/rack capacity: 90 lbs/40.9 kg.
World’s best-selling automatic transmission (PVT).
Exclusive On-Demand All-Wheel Drive.
Exclusive Shaft Ride System chassis for optimal strength and durability.
Long-travel rear suspension (7.1 in/18 cm) for a great, comfortable ride.
Speedometer with digital gear indicator, odometer, hourmeter.

I know a farmer that has a 2000 Magnum with over 12000 miles of low speed farm work and never had a problem. They make them in 4x4 and 4x2.

Old 01-30-2005, 03:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. My current atv is a '95 250 Suzuki LT4WD manual. It works well but is getting a bit old and worn.

I haven't actually tried an auto because I've been happy with the manual, and again it's difficult to organise a demo with really steep hills. Most dealerships only have a flat area to try the bikes. Also I really don't like auto cars, and that's kinda influencing my choice, even though there may be not much comparison.

Do the guys who recommend the auto's have experience with manuals or only autos? Another factor is there seems to be less to go wrong with a manual.

Wolverine Man I'm pretty sure the Eiger has only oil/air cooling.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

I've rode honda atv's and dirt bikes for years and didn't want a auto at first also ... but after test riding a few, and talking to a farmer friend ... auto was the only way to go. I'm also 33 years old and don't ride for speed or race anymore, I like rock climbing and trail riding. Just like any off road machine, if you take care of it, it will last.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

You are right, the Eiger is air cooled. Sorry for the misinformation. I use to have a Wolverine (manual shift). My wife and daughter have manuals. A family member has a Rancher. When I was looking for a new quad, I too only wanted a manual shift. I then took my buddy's Grizzly for a ride. That changed the way I felt. I liked the auto. So I got a Grizzly. I was looking at the Vinson manual. I never regreted my purchase. I like the fact that its always in the right gear. I never have to down shift because its bogging down on a hill or the mud or water is too deep. I just give it more gas and hold on. The autos are great for hills, just give some gas and go. Try that web site. ...www.atvtv.com.......they rate those machines. I would still recomend something with liquid cooling.