Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking to upgrade from my Eiger-Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade from my Eiger-Opinions

Posted this on "Buying an ATV" so sorry if you see it again here.

I have an Eiger auto and think I want more power to better hang with my buddies SP 500ho. Considering the Vinson 500 or SP 500ho in the 500cc class. I have not ruled out going to a big bore like the new King Quad. Seems they have corrected the reverse issue on later 04's and all 05's being produced.

My riding is casual trail riding, logging roads, gravel roads. I'm not into technical rock crawling with my ATV (I do this with my jeep) and really not a mudder but won't pass up smaller holes - just not into the water/mud up to the rack kind of thing. I live in Virginia and we do a lot of riding in the mountains so long straight stretches across a flat field are non-existent.

Can you provide me with experiences of the Vinson and sp 500ho. My buddy likes his sp 500ho and has not had any problems although his brother chewed up the belt on his 500ho with about 500 miles 2 weeks ago. What seems to be the best of the 650-700cc's out there. i like my Eiger but it just doesn't have that low end grunt and speed when it comes to going up the mountain. Going around curves on a trail where you have to slow down quite a bit it has to struggle to get back up to speed where it seems the sp 500ho gets going much better.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been thinking the same thing as of late, as my Eiger seems kinda smallish compared to the guys I ride with, Rincon and new King Quad respectively. The KQ is a really nice machine, lots of power, efi, good ride, better controls, and alot of motor. Definately does a better job in the mud then the eiger. The only really good thing (im sure their are plenty) i noticed about the Rincon is the tranny which is a great setup. Pretty neat having 3 gears in auto and still be able to run it like a normal ESP honda. The KQ seems to have a better engine but the Rincon has a better tranny.
I guess if I were seriously going to plunk down the cash on a new ute, I'd get something bigger than a 500cc class. For the money your going to spend why not go alittle more in the hole and jump up to the 650+cc sizes? I dont think the Vinson is much bigger than the eiger for the cost difference. Just my .02 worth. Kupa

Old 03-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the Twin Peaks if you have been happy with Suzuki. With the King Quad out now I do not think they are as expensive as they used to be and since it is very similar to the Kawasaki Prairie 700 I feel you will be happy with its speed and front locker?

Old 03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

I've been shopping too. Read up on the serious defect with the KQ before you plunk down your money on one. I'd stay away from it until next year at least if then.

I'm torn between the BF and Grizzly at the moment. trying to get a test ride on each so I can make a decision.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you ridden your friends, sportsman?
Like the one handed braking? Like the feel of the irs? The pitching, and the leaning? If you do, then a irs might be for you, but if you dont like all the motion, you might want to stick with a solid axle quad.
Part of the reason, he can get so far ahead, is the soft, compliant suspension. Youre probably standing on the floorboards, soaking up the bumps with your legs, and hes sitting on the seat. Its gonna be hard to beat a 500 sportsman....unless you get one too.