Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

painting racks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting racks

Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default painting racks

Since you didn't post a question other than the title, I'll jump in with random comments. My racks' paint was getting worn from backs, etc strapped on them. Last weekend, I used spray-on PlastiDip to repaint the racks with a rubberized paint. They will go back on the ATV this weekend. I won't be riding for a while, but I'll post results after a few rides.

I looked into powder coating and LineX. Both were too expensive for such a small application. The PlastiDip was $7 at Harbor Freight.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default painting racks

u should get a powder coating. anti-slide surface.lol. i just painted mine. with a semi gloss paint. it dont last long though.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Range Rover
Default painting racks

i've heard of people using the spray-on bedliner stuff on their racks and they did say it worked ok.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painting racks

I used the bedliner on mine and it works good. You can also use appliance paint wich is a epoxy (tougher finish than regular paint) like I used on my wheels.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default painting racks

I sanded mine down, primed them and repainted them black. The one thing I forgot to do was to spray a protective clearcoat over them and they eventually got all scraped up again. I'm going to redo them the right way next time. I never even thought about using the truck bed stuff......anyone have pics of what the racks look like with that stuff on them??

Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default painting racks

Check out my pics, my front bumper and rear grab bar are painted with it. I do not have a picture with the painted racks on it.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default painting racks

anyone thought of taking your racks to Rhino linings or Line-X and having that sprayed on instead of painting.. they can also spray colors....

Old 03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default painting racks

I checked with my local Line-X provider on that possibility. He indicated it would be $200-$300 per rack. They use a blast spray to put the coating on and cannot adust for smaller items. The racks are small and open, so a lot of the product would be wasted in the process. If you have the money to blow, go for it. I had not thought about the roll-on kind that you can buy at automotive stores. That may be a more cost prudent method. Though, it can be difficult to brush or roll paint and such on metal racks. That's why I opted for the spray can version of the PlastiDip. Who knows if it works. If it doesn't I'm only out $7 and some time.

Another option is the powder coating. My folks had their barstools powder coated recently and it was a decent price. While it holds up better than paint for rubbing, it will chip if banged (such as if the quad is wrecked or a rock hits the rack). I could see that being a problem over time, since my quad takes a beating on the trails with branches and rocks constatly hitting something.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default painting racks

I thought about it but for what I do I did not feel it was worth the investment when compared to what I could get doing it myself. It might be worth it to somebody with a bigger machine that uses the racks a lot?

Quick Reply: painting racks