Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

Originally posted by: 4wheelerfred
and the 800 should eliminate the bf motor anyday..
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I think not, The brute put out more hp from the crank and at the rear wheels. Someone (with a sp800) posted the results on the dyno on Highlifter. When you add more hp, in a much lighter frame, which one do you think is faste

Old 03-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its kind of funny, if you want the fastest ATV, you don't buy it from either of the two biggest ATV manufactures. LOL

Old 03-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

Who really gives a crap. If you are happy with your machine, then ride! If not then buy a different brand. Aint no manufacturer got the market locked up with the perfect machine which is why everyone is pimping the one they ride to us.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with Polaris brakes doesn't become obvious until you are a good rider. A good rider doing technical decents will see Polaris brakes as being a problem, even diehard Polaris fans will even make excuses and try to tell you how they deal with it "just give it a little bit of gas while you decend then the front will lock too" yadda yadda whatever. Why do I wanna mess around with it. The brakes suck nuff said.
LOL, Dirtydude. The problem going down hill has nothing to do with brakes. It has to do with the engine braking system that only works on the rear wheel.
It has been shown that an integrated braking system is easier to use for a "newbie", even when that braking system has been proven to not be as effective on level ground and not as safe for climbing and descending hills. Could it be there was a conscious trade-off of a little safety in challenging terrain for increased sales to people who most likely wouldn't get themselves into a "challenging" situation?
I asume this statement refers to single hand braking. LOL, clearly single handed braking is much safer than split brakes. Split brakes are only significant for the most high performance riders that have a clutched transmission that demand split brakes because they need control of the front and rear brakes independently to get maximum performance.
BryceGTX

Old 03-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

We totaly got of the subject of avt tv being retarded about there scoring!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently sold a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4 and purchased a 2005 Brute Force 650. I have had several other machines and motorcycles in the past. I can confirm that the the single lever braking is not a good system unless you are just putting around at slow speeds. For quick stops even at moderate speeds my front wheels always locked up on the Polaris (usually one or the other only!) before the rear got full breaking power. It wouldn't be so bad if they had anti-lock breaks to go with it, but they don't yet so you loose steering control when you need it the most. The Scrambler doesn't have engine breaking so I didn't have a problem with that.

I do want to point out that you can get an aftermarket kit to split the brakes like any other ATV. I don't know if they have it for every model, but I know they have it for the Scrambler because the breaks annoyed me enough to almost purchase the kit before I decided to save the money and put it toward a new Brute Force instead.

Looking forward to 4 wheel drive, seperate breaks, no more carrying oil along, no more blue smoke out the muffler, no stupid chain to oil/adjust, not getting wet in every mud puddle, and even more power (even though I am going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke).

The only thing that was more annoying than the breaks was the Polaris Belt Cover which was bulging out right where you wanted to put your left foot. The forward belt cover location is much more comfortable on the Kawasaki design.

I didn't do enough research the first time around. I was really dissappointed with the power of the Scrambler's stock 400cc two stroke. I know you can beef them up a lot but you have to stick more money in them and then they are loud which I am not a fan of. I haven't ridden the Brute yet, but I hope it has more power than the Scrambler. Maybe I am just spoiled by the power of the Yamaha FJR1300 so everything else seems slow. Zero to 60mph in 2.9 seconds can do that to you.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Brute650. I have two Trailblazers and I have never seen the unsafe locking up of wheels you describe. LOL, if split braking was so great I am sure that the trick setup for fast cars would be to modify the braking for split brakes. Quite the contrary, all leading high performance drivers prefer non-anti lock brakes to anti-lock brakes. Which is simple single hand brakes by the foot: LOL. Fact is, one reason for non ABS braking is that locked wheels slow you faster on gravel type surfaces!!! If you could explain to me how split braking is safer, I am all ears.
BryceGTX

Old 03-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Kodiakguy
Originally posted by: 4wheelerfred
and the 800 should eliminate the bf motor anyday..
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I think not, The brute put out more hp from the crank and at the rear wheels. Someone (with a sp800) posted the results on the dyno on Highlifter. When you add more hp, in a much lighter frame, which one do you think is faste
I think he ment to say the BF motor will eliminate the 800 motor anyday......lol. The FACT is the BF V-twin produces the most HP and torque that any other utility quad. Get over it.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

I must say it is getting very old that Polaris and Kawasaki get bashed all the time, and for what? They happen to have the two biggest most powerfull quads on the market. Do these winers want a tissue? Oh brother

We all hear that Polaris quads are heavy, well once I put my 589's on my Kawi the weight difference all the sudden becomes somewhat less by over 75lbs. So what if Polaris's engine breaking only uses the rear wheels, if one doesn't use their breaks the belts will start to show wear needlessly and one should be using thier breaks when going down hills IMO.
I trully think polaris has best looking bikes on the market(800EFI), and I am saying this without even owning a Polaris.

I love my Kawi and will be buying another but if my dealer (provides the best service bar none) closed or changed I would be buying a Polaris 800.

As for Kawi and the BF being tippy, it may exibit some tippyness but one is looking for reasons to bash for this reason alone because all IRS quads feel tippy. If one says otherwise they need to ride my SRA. Plus, how many 700cc + quads do you see on trails using stock tires? Not that many, so when one buys new tires such as Bearclaws, Bugs, Gators, 589's, Mudzillas this becomes a moot point. The issue of belt maintenance with Kawi's is real but Kawi's also have the largest power output so would any other CVT setup be able to handle the power without comprimise in performance?

If the Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha owners want to bash my bike, go ahead because they can all Bite me!

Sorry for the rant but I needed to vent.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ok the only way i ever base my opinion is if i have actuly driven an atv. i am tired of people saying stuff is crap and i dont like it cuz dirtwheels dont bla bla bla bla!!!!!!1 forget it ride what you like and leave other people alone! i naver sed the bf is bad i just sed the 800 is better! period....

Quick Reply: ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**