Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

Hey propnut. Rather than to present a technical argument for discussion you always resort to personal insults to attempt to drive your point home. I noticed this early on in our discussion about transmissions on the other thread. But once again I will talk about your previous post. Are you saying that these quads should have some type of biasing adjustment on them. Seems to me that automative companies have gotten by for years without a manual bias adjustment, so I am not sure why ATVs should have it.
Someone that has little to no experience in what they're talking about.
LOL, like pointed out above. Rather than present a legitimate argument you come up with BS like this. Seems you know little to nothing about me, yet you come up with this brilliant observation about me.
For any of you interested in some of this guys other brilliant discussions I point you to this thread:
Transmissions
BryceGTX

Old 05-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Now the real benifit of the Polaris system will be when it gets really slippery and you decide to go down the hill in 4wd on your locked system. The front tires on your quad will slid because they are providing too much braking, you will be unable to steer and you will slid sideways and the rest is history. The Polaris on the other hand will not lock the front tires because the engine provides no front wheel braking (just like a 2wd car), he wil be able to steer his way down the hill. Seems that anyone who has ever driven a rear wheel drive car in slippery conditions such as in the winter time understands these simple concepts. But hey, I am glad I could teach you something.
BryceGTX

LMAO... im sorry, but to say that the 2wd engine braking on a polaris is superior just really shows something... look, ive driven the sportsman alot. i know how the ebs works in 4wd... o wait, it doesnt. when going down hills, the 4 wheel ebs is far better. how can you not control it? you can easily steer it, and with the 4 wheels holding you back, you are less likely to lose traction. however, on a polaris, when the ebs kicks in... the 2 wheels in the rear end lock up, providing the least amount of stopping... the polaris have decent brakes, but the engine brakin still is lacking. i would gladly go down any hill on my kodiak.. put it in 4wd, lo range. the engine braking wouldnt let you go above 3-4mph... and it stayed at that speed, not sliding at all. on a sportsman, you have to use the brakes going down the hill... no big deal, but with the engine braking of the yamaha, you didnt need to touch the brakes, sometimes you had to give it throttle to roll

Old 05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

I have a 02- sportsman 500- I do not see what all of the talk is about.

When I am going down a steep,slimy,snowy, or whatever type of hill-I put the dang thing in low range-. Wala- it is a piece of cake.
Now if you use High range -I agree it will slide a bit & you have to be careful.
I am completely satisifed with the brakes on the Polaris. If everyone who owns a Polaris sportsman & hates the brakes they just need to sell it & get on with it or ride the sh$t out of it.

To the people who do not own a Polaris but like to bad mouth them, I personally think you need to buy one then report all the pros & cons to all of us on this forum. At least then you will be invested & we then can hear you out.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Gopher500. Maybe you need to re-read the post. Clearly when a hill become so slippery that you are unable to stop with any type of brakes or EBS, your only choice is to simply steer. I have been in this situation many times with our Jeep. The poblem is that if you are not quick to act and cannot put the vehicle in neutral or push in the clutch, your front wheels will slide and you will go sideways. If you have never been in this situation, you are in for a rude awakening when it happens. Now the Polaris will never lock up the front wheels in this situation because they freewheel. This is clearly a case where the Polaris system is superior. Another instance where the Polaris system is superior is whenever the quad is turned, particularlly on high traction surfaces such as rocks.
BryceGTX

Old 05-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Range Rover

Right on--I second that motion-- Bryce GTX.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Bryce buddy, no technical argument, you are still being ignorant. Most vehicles driven to the edge have adjustable brake bias. Normal consumer transportation vehicles don't, but a 4wd ATV isn't just for driving the speed limit on paved roads, is it? And the auto makers are even incorporating built in computer adjusted brake biasing for dummies on cars and trucks. I can't argue with you anyway, you don't make any sense, you just rationalize, comparing an automobile to a 4wd ATV, no comparison. Closer comparing a motorcycle. I understand your defensive nature given the brand of your machine, but your rationalizing doesn't hold water.

Belt drive better performer than a hydro, you're a dreamer there too. Thanks for pointing out your foolishness again. Yeah, and that ATV belt slipping subject is a myth (particularly your brand!), a lie, a conspiracy....

Gitrdone, I did not come here to bash. Just to stop the pointless false rambling of a brand bias owner. I'm not knocking your machine as a whole. I realize Polaris has a decent package. Problem is - some are so sensitive that nobody can offer an honest and often correct review criticizing a Polaris feature without setting some idiot off. I do think the title of this thread is over the top though.

Get over it Bryce, Polaris does not have the best features in every category.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Bryce buddy, no technical argument, you are still being ignorant
Now there is a real technical argument....
Normal consumer transportation vehicles don't, but a 4wd ATV isn't just for driving the speed limit on paved roads, is it?
My Jeep does not have a user adjustable front to rear bias on it. Now why again do ATVs need it?
I can't argue with you anyway, you don't make any sense, you just rationalize, comparing an automobile to a 4wd ATV, no comparison
Hmm.. My jeep has 4wd. Selectable 2wd-4wd, auto trans, off road tires, single hydraulic braking. You are right doesn't sound like an ATV to me.
Belt drive better performer than a hydro, you're a dreamer there too. Thanks for pointing out your foolishness again. Yeah, and that ATV belt slipping subject is a myth (particularly your brand!), a lie, a conspiracy....
I don't remember ever saying there was any conspiracy. Seems the only one saying that is you; given you say it in every one of your posts. Do you know of something you are not telling us?
Gitrdone, I did not come here to bash. Just to stop the pointless false rambling of a brand bias owner. I'm not knocking your machine as a whole. I realize Polaris has a decent package. Problem is - some are so sensitive that nobody can offer an honest and often correct review criticizing a Polaris feature without setting some idiot off. I do think the title of this thread is over the top though.
Hey propnut, one of my original complaints was the clear misleading comparisons of ATVTV about Artic Cat brakes. Now unless Artic Cat has within the last 30 seconds become a subsidiary of Polaris... Although now that you bring it up, clearly Polaris has one of the most unique 4WD systems of any 4wd vehicle made. And because of that it has some very unique capabilites that no other 4wd vehicle has. Now I have no problem with the dingbats at ATVTV pointing out valid complaints about any ATV. Its just they should also point out the positive aspects of these systems. That includes Polaris, Artic Cat and Bombardier. These particular brands seem to be taking an unfair beating at ATVTV. And their opinions do not seem in any way consistent with what I read from the owners of these ATVs.
BryceGTX

Old 05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Another real gem from the ATVTV website is the comparison of the Rincon 650 to the Polaris 700 EFI. It rates the Rincon at 7 on "Technical/Low speed" and it rates the Polaris 700 also at 7. Now how is it that any one would rate any quad that has less ground clearance, less suspension travel and no low gear the same in this category. Come on guys give us some meaningful comparisons. Their definition of "Technical/Low Speed" is:
..ability to tackle extreme or rough trail conditions. ...diagonal cross ruts, large rock fields, downed trees and stumps, off-camber hills, deep sand or mud. ..transmission's engagement and the front and rear differential's actions are strong points as well. ..stability is important as is the confidence it gives the rider.
This test description screams high ground clearance, long legged suspension and a low gear. LOL, their test must have been on a recently graded gravel road!!
BryceGTX

Old 05-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Why are we compairing ATV's to cars and Jeeps? I might as well compaire it to my boat then.

I have a Maxum 19' cuddy and when I go down steep waterfalls with my boat the single prop braking...umm never mind they are two different vehicles arn't they

I was reading about the engine braking on Polaris how it only applies braking bias to the rear wheel thus making it safer because in the event of a steep decent the front wheels will allow you to steer yadda yadda yadda BS!!

anyone who has ridden a quad a lot can tell you that when you lock up the rear wheels the thing will try to swap ends, When the back tires are locked up they slide whichever direction gravity takes them and they'll slide all around and usually try to out accelerate the front tires which will put you sideways in the middle of a very steep slippery hill (that is bad)

On the worst of hills I don't use low range or 4x4 because if I need to accelerate to keep the tires rolling I don't want the engine locking things up, I will instead feather the front brakes and apply enough rear braking to keep me inline with where I want to decend (controlled crashing if you will) the amount of braking will also vary with terren too, sometimes you can lock the rears up and drag a big wad of dirt infront of your rear wheels, sometimes you just roll them over shale areas, sometimes you just gotta hope for the best and try to keep her straight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] duel braking at least gives the experenced riders more options, if your used to single braking or new to quads then maybe it's better off to stick with those types of quads and stay on the safer trails.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

anyone who has ridden a quad a lot can tell you that when you lock up the rear wheels the thing will try to swap ends, When the back tires are locked up they slide whichever direction gravity takes them and they'll slide all around and usually try to out accelerate the front tires which will put you sideways in the middle of a very steep slippery hill (that is bad)
Actually, it is quite easy to counter steer to keep this from happening. LOL, try counter steering when your front tires are in the same situation. Good luck!! Its those stituations that you will be picking yourself up at the bottom of the hill trying to figure out what really happened because it happened so fast. But I got to agree with you, the easiest way to deal with it is to put it in neutral. However, I disagree with you that split braking gives any benifit at all.
BryceGTX

Quick Reply: ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**