Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

This thread is useless.

We have a Polaris owner bashing Polaris. If you want to bash Polaris I think you ought to go over to the other brand forum section & do all the bashing there.
Some of us would like to view information so we can learn more about our brand & then there are some that just want to instigate arguments.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

oh my gosh.......that's treason!!

Old 05-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, Isn't it a great world? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Sounds to me like a whole bunch of guys don't know how to take care of their brakes... And some dealer is really a genius [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 05-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dude i love this stupid thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any one who reads this who hasent bin in it from the start is gonna say WTF?????????/
ahahah and all cuz i called atv tv retarded hahahhahahahahhah

Old 05-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

4wheelerfred, you are a great guy!! You call it like you see it. I also like this thread [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 05-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: Gopher500
Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Now the real benifit of the Polaris system will be when it gets really slippery and you decide to go down the hill in 4wd on your locked system. The front tires on your quad will slid because they are providing too much braking, you will be unable to steer and you will slid sideways and the rest is history. The Polaris on the other hand will not lock the front tires because the engine provides no front wheel braking (just like a 2wd car), he wil be able to steer his way down the hill. Seems that anyone who has ever driven a rear wheel drive car in slippery conditions such as in the winter time understands these simple concepts. But hey, I am glad I could teach you something.
BryceGTX

LMAO... im sorry, but to say that the 2wd engine braking on a polaris is superior just really shows something... look, ive driven the sportsman alot. i know how the ebs works in 4wd... o wait, it doesnt. when going down hills, the 4 wheel ebs is far better. how can you not control it? you can easily steer it, and with the 4 wheels holding you back, you are less likely to lose traction. however, on a polaris, when the ebs kicks in... the 2 wheels in the rear end lock up, providing the least amount of stopping... the polaris have decent brakes, but the engine brakin still is lacking. i would gladly go down any hill on my kodiak.. put it in 4wd, lo range. the engine braking wouldnt let you go above 3-4mph... and it stayed at that speed, not sliding at all. on a sportsman, you have to use the brakes going down the hill... no big deal, but with the engine braking of the yamaha, you didnt need to touch the brakes, sometimes you had to give it throttle to roll

I have driven several types of off-road vehicles and one of the reasons why 4 wheel EBS won't work on a polaris hasn't really been explored here. and that is the true 4x4. If you have ever gone down a steep hill with a fully locked up vehicle front and rear....you better hope all your doing is going straight because they steer like crap, a failure to understand this will get you into deeper trouble than 2 wheel EBS. That is why you see so many people in jeeps jumping out and locking/unlocking the front axle on the trail, they unlock the hubs so they can steer.

As for the brakes comments...I bled my brakes and they actually work good...all the way around. If your dealer can't fix brakes....he should find another occupation with less liability.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Excellent points Sean99TJ. And your points about the brakes are so very true. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

BTW, have I mentioned within the last 24 hours that I think the ATV TV website is a useless website?

Old 05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe this thread is still going. Oh well, maybe I can help bridge the gap. I for one think the linked braking systems are fine, however I would never own one for personal use. I want control over my quad. I want to tap the rear brakes to initiate sliding the rear end or bringing the front end back down. I want the ability to use engine braking on big downhills for the rear wheels, and only control the front brakes(in 2wd) I don't want to use the rear brakes if I start rolling backwards down a hill. Modulating the rear brakes to prevent lockup has never been a problem for me, regardless of what transmission was on the quad. Comparing atv's to a jeep isn't a great comparison. I use 4wd and engine breaking on my 4x trucks(I also have a Grand Cherokee) They have abs and power steering, so you will still have steering ability. If your fronts are still locking up and providing you from turning, then maybe you shouldn't be driving that trail. Also, the Jeep is what, 2 or 21/2 tons while your Polaris is 750lbs or less? The atv likely has much softer and more aggressive tread for traction also. Cars and trucks need to be easily useable by all of the population. Linked systems are much easier to learn, and more reliable/safer for the average user in panic situations. Note that except for some of the high end touring bikes, most streetbikes also have seperated brakes though. Motorcycle style controls lend themselves to easier applications of seperated braking.

Let me clarify a bit. For most riders in 90% of trail riding, either type of braking system is acceptable. Personally, I have found that in the more extreme conditions linked braking isn't as good as seperated. Linked braking removes a few options when just playing around also. Most of the testers for the media are great riders, and many were riding before quads with linked braking were very popular. Some of that plays into everyones personal bias and preference, and maybe we see some of that in the reviews. COnsistently I see Polaris and AC being knocked down a notch due to braking and weight when going up against the Japanese brands though, so maybe there is some truth in there.

BryceGTX, just curious, but have you ever ridden a ute other than Polaris?

Gitrdone, why did you make one post saying you wanted a Polaris basher to buy one and have a vested interest, then say the thread is useless because an owner expressed negative thoughts on his Polaris(even telling him to go bash Polaris on a different manufacturers section?)

Old 05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Scooter...you misunderstood what I wrote...or maybe I wrote it confusing....I meant locked differential...not brakes. Quads are "hard to steer" anyway..they want to go straight, but with the front diff locked it is even worse trying to steer at low speeds

Old 05-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sean99TJ, actually, I wasn't referring to your post about handling at slow speeds. I know that the locked diff is going to be harder to steer. I was trying to point out that riders with a choice between 2wd and 4wd will use the 4wd(unlocked front diff hopefully) going down hills for the extra engine braking. Polaris' on demand 4wd system isn't as efficient in my eyes going down hills since only 2 wheels actually give engine braking. That would be perfectly fine, IF you could opt out of using the rear brakes or just barely use the rears to augment the engine braking. The linked system won't allow this, so it is easier to lock the rear wheels. Going down a steep, slippery hill is not the time to lock up any wheels, but if I had a choice, I would rather lock the front then rear. OK, maybe locking the rear would be better if you are headed straight down the hill, but most of the time the trail angles across the hill face. Lock the rears, you could end up facing up the hill!!

Quick Reply: ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**