Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What does each do? Lock/Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does each do? Lock/Unlock

There is a lot of misunderstanding here.
The Detroit Gearless Locker is automatic.
It doesn't lock the front end ALL THE TIME when it is installed, that's what a spool does...just defeats the differential.
The DGL locks the front end by means of clutch plates when one front wheel turns more than the other one for a 'designed in amount' that is more than what is needed for compensating for normal front wheel unequal turning when cornering.
So it steers like a regular diff and locks when needed for slippery stuff. No switches or levers involved.

An unlocker allows you to disconnect the front wheel drive on machines that are otherwise supplied with full-time 4WD, for better handling and easyer steering in the easy stuff. That is accomplished by an outside switch or lever. One has no thing to do with the other except for similar sounding names.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I understand what each does now, does anyone know of someone that makes a locker that is selectable? I know the highlifter locker locks it when in 4 wheel drive, as would a selectable locker, if there is such a thing. I want a locker that will lock my front diff when I choose. Obviously you're not gonna use a front diff lock unless you're already in 4 wheel. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BigdogonaBigBear
Ok I understand what each does now, does anyone know of someone that makes a locker that is selectable? I know the highlifter locker locks it when in 4 wheel drive, as would a selectable locker, if there is such a thing. I want a locker that will lock my front diff when I choose. Obviously you're not gonna use a front diff lock unless you're already in 4 wheel. Thanks again.
Why would you want a locker that was selectable between 3 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive? Just trying to get an understanding at what your wanting.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think this whole thing is about getting a full-time 4wd quad to be able to go to 2wd and what you have to do to get there. Lots of discussion but I think that's the gist of it.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

<sigh> you don't need 'selectable'. Whether you have a DGL in your front diff case or not, your front wheel isn't going to be spinning one side anyway when you are in 2WD.
A DGL engages when one front wheel spins more than the other by a certain amount, more than it would just from cornering.

If ya ain't driving the wheels how they gonna spin?

So the DGL will never lock UNLESS THAT AXLE IS DRIVEN.

And you don't have to think about it or select it. Just install it and forget it.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, Boys, I understand the whole concept of being in 4 wheel drive for the locker to work. You say I dont need to select it, just install it and let it work its magic. My question to you all now is why is the grizzly and the kodiak selectable? Is it because of the difficulty in turning with the lock but they still wanted to give it that locking diff? If thats the case then I guess I see no reason why I would need a selectable device, but if the the 2 bigger bears have the wheel turning compensation, then I would want that set up on my quad, being able to choose when to lock and when not to. I hope this clears a path for all you guys that are tryin to help out. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Those ones are selectable because they engage mechanically. The differential in the front end operates normally until you select 'lock' and then a pinning device mechanically locks the front diff solid.

The Detroit Gearless uses a clutching system as I described earlier. It operates by not allowing one side to turn more than the other by more than a certain amount without the clutch engaging. No mechanical 'in' and 'out' input needed.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason they have the switch to select lock or unlock is to use as a selling point/strategy. People are going to ask what that switch is and then the salesman is going to tell them all about it and how its better than others. Just one more thing to break in my opinion. Another thing it could be is that maybe their lockers are different than the detroit automatic locker. When you lock theirs in it may not allow one wheel to travel more than the other so the tires would hop when turning sharp so therefore they give you the option of turning it off. With the detroit it allows that travel so the tires don't do that. I'm not for sure on that because I havn't riden one with the selectable lockers. Maybe someone else could answer that.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

The Detroit Gearless Locker, even with it's clutches that allow you to steer easier than a spool-type locker, is harder to steer than a comparable unequipped full-time four wheel drive machine. While the DGL, or any locker-equipped vehicle, is unbeatable in soft terrain, manufactuers offer their selectable locker because it allows customers the benefit of a true locked front end without the hassels of hard steering and the potential for breakage all the time. The majority of ATV consumers don't need a DGL or spool-type locker in use all the time but by the manufacturers offering a selectable locker it gives customers the option of a locked front end when they need it.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

Good Lord. The mind boggles. OK, of the current line of ATV's Bombardier offeres something very like the Detroit Gearless Locker, which they call visco-loc. Beyond that, to the best of my knowledge, ATV makers that offer a front locking diff utilize a manual system that engages a pinning device to manually lock the front end. The manufacturers do that because they are already tooled up for it and because it costs less to build than a clutched diff, and every dollar you save on a run of 200,000 ATV's is nearly a quarter mil you didn't spend, hence it's just like profit, and the donkeys buying don't know any different. An unengaged clutching locker doesn't steer harder than a normal differential unless the off chance it might be damaged. You will never know it's there.
A spool is essentially a permanently locked front end and is only practical for machines that you only roll out for mud racing and the like. You wouldn't want to trail ride it for any length of time unless you aspire to be the next Arnold.
And I'm tired of this thread.

Quick Reply: What does each do? Lock/Unlock