Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What does each do? Lock/Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does each do? Lock/Unlock

I was just wondering what does each device do? I know the Locker locks your diff so you get true 4 wheel drive but if I buy a locker do I need an unlocker too? I guess the real question is what is an unlocker and do I need one to go with a locker?

Old 03-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

I dont think there is any "unlockers" Usually a locker engages in and out.. through air or mechanically or whatever.. it just does.. but you are able to unengage the same way... im pretty sure

Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

You are talking about trucks right, not atvs?

Old 03-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, I'm referring to ATVs. I want to get a diff lock for my bigbear but I want it set up similar to the grizz where I can turn it off and on when I choose and I noticed on highlifters website they have a locker that locks it all the time from the way I understood it. Now I want to know if I get an unlocker, will I be able to turn it off and on or is an unlocker for a totally different function? Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

If you get the Highlifter Unlocker and use it with the locker, you will either have to be in two wheel drive or in "locked" four wheel drive.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

<SPAN class=569344914-22032005><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#0000ff>If you install a locking differental to your ATV it will be opperated by a switch, so to answer your question, in principle, it will opperate just as the Grizzly or the KQ, it turns on and it turns off.</FONT></SPAN>

Old 03-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

I've never heard of installing a locking diff. You can get 'unlockers' for the bikes that come with 4wd only. That way you can enjoy the fun of a 2wd without having to buy a new bike.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

According to highlifters website though it says that their gearless locker is automatic and it locks in your front diff all the time while it is installed. If they have a switch to disengage why am I not reading about it on their site? Am I missing it?

Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

High Lifter Products introduces its latest dynamic product....the UN-Locker. Developed by High Lifter, this exclusive product turns a heavy, utility ATV into a quick-steering, sporty power machine.
<FONT size=2>With shift-on-the-fly capability, the unit locks and un-locks with a durable mechanical shifter. When it's in 2WD mode, it allows all of the engine power to flow to the rear axle. The bike steers, handles, and "roosts" much like a sport bike.

Ok let me make a correction, the locker that I am refering to is the above item. It allows you to take an all time four wheel drive unit and convert it to a two wheel drive unit.

The detroit locker from high lifter, is a gearless locker that allows you to run in locking diff at all times while allowing you the additional ease of steering by allowing the tire on the inside of a turn, to spin at a higher rpm while allowing the tires to spin at the same speed going in a streight line.
However, non of these items will work on a two wheel drive only unit.
sorry for the confusion.</FONT><!--mstheme-->

Old 03-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Range Rover

The way I understood it is that it's a automatic locker. It only engages when you put it in 4 wheel drive. I am about to order one myself. Send Vinson581 a pm and ask him about it, he has one installed and he said its the best single investment he has made to his atv. And I've seen that comment more that from just him.

I found a review Vinson581 wrote about it here http://atv.dnsalias.com/techtip.cgi?...nson&viewtip=2
You'll have to register but it only takes a minute.

Quick Reply: What does each do? Lock/Unlock