Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Big Bad 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2000, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Raptor, and the DS 650 are not 4x4 quads, which he was specifically looking for.
If you are looking for the bad boy you might want to wait and see what the 650 Kawasaki has to offer.
The last I read the Griz was still the most powerful 4x4 4-stroke quad available. The Actic Cat had 2 ftlbs more torque, but less horsepower. Never heard the Suzuki and the Grizzly mentioned in the same sentence so I don't know about that. This might be old news, but the last thing I read about 4-stroke 4x4 quads drag racing was that the griz is still on top! My own personal experience has shown that to be true. I haven't been beat by another quad yet. Well, not a 4x4 anyway.

Old 09-30-2000, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

I ALWAYS wear my helmet and boots. Don't even worry about that. I refuse to ride with anybody that doesn't. If I was interested in another high-performance quad then I wouldn't have labeled this "Big Bad 4x4" : )

As of right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Grizzly. Does anybody know of the Scrambler 500 4x4 compares to the Grizzly?

Old 09-30-2000, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

ROBH, who do you think you are? the helmet god? so what if i want to ride without a helmet? the last time i wore a helmet i was 8 years old, and you know what? that is MY perogative! i am not a role model, i don't expect your pea brained kids to look at any of my pics and say "wow, that is so cool, that guy riding without a helmet! lets try it and see if we can split out heads". i live in louisiana and we have no helmet law here, so it is strictly rider's choice. choice, that is a great thing to have. who cares if i fall down go boom and bust my head? my family and friends? yes, they would care and you are NOT one of them so don't try to force your opinions or standards on me. i hear a lot of people justify not wearing a helmet with "its so hot here" among others, but you know what here is my justification...........i don't want to, i don't have to. why don't you head over to some **** sights or some singles ads and post a "reasons to wear condoms" topic. or better yet, i see people day in and day out with small children in their car but NOT in a car seat or even buckled. why don't you take it upon yourself to stop this great injustice? buy yourself a badge from an ad in the back of a detective magazine and declare yourself the car seat SS. you can pull people over and cane the parents to death. maybe that will help you get over my blatant, barbaric crime of riding without a helmet. by the way, if i ever have the pleasure of meeting you, i will feed you a helmet. loser.

Old 09-30-2000, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Plenty of people don't wear helmets because "they don't want to". Many folks end up in one of three categories: 1.dead 2.in comas from closed head injuries or 3. In long-term rehab and health care facilities with brain damage that leaves them unable to care for themselves. To a person, they cannot afford the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars that it costs and guess who gets to pay the bill? After their families are left without a penny to their name or a house to live in, someone has to pay. That says nothing of the needless emotional and psychological damage they cause to their families and friends. In the end, it was caused by something that could have been so easily avoided.

It happens every weekend. They come from far and near. By ambulance and by helicopter. You have never seen a teenager who has just found out that due his brain damage, he is going to be unable to care for himself or ever be normal again. A lot of crying and hollering and begging for it all to go away. But, it never will. It is too late. The damage is done. But, I guess the upside is: he was smarter than everyone else and tougher than everyone else and can blame no one but himself. Don't say it won't happen you, cause too many others said the same thing. But, if and when it happens, don't cry and scream all day and night and disturb the others who are trying to come to grips with their "mew lives".

Old 09-30-2000, 10:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as 4x4 drags go, I figure the HO model would give the Griz a good run for its money. The Scramblers would both outrun the Griz, and most likely, the Explorer 400 will outrun it as well. Scramblers don't count in my book on this though because they aren't really utility quads.

I do know that my Uncle's half brother has an old piece of crap 400 Sportsman. It will absolutely smoke his friend's Grizzly. As far as 4strokes go, I think the HO is obviously the only one that stands a chance though.

Old 10-01-2000, 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is why you never come on the forum and say that you don't wear a helmet. You will always get bashed, and seeing that there is good sense behind it, nobody will ever come to your aid.

You can't argue with safety, but I believe that every person has to make their own choice. Helmet bickering gets old, and is not even the least bit interesting. I say that we forget this topic ever came up, and even if it sounds pointed (which it is), I blame Robh for bringing it up in the first place without any reason whatsoever. This is about the Baddest 4x4. Thats it.

Baddest 4x4 could be a number of things, depending on what suits you. A grizzly fits some better than a Rubicon. A Sportsman fits some better than a Prairie 650 would. Like most things on here, its personal preference. I think the Griz is a good quad. If it suits you, then go for it.

Old 10-01-2000, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

it's funny how a post can start out as something as simple as "what's the best 4x4" then end in apissing match about helmets!!!!!!
I love yamaha but the polaris sportsman 500 is a beautiful machine rides like a cadillac! Plus you might be able to get them to through in a helmet!!!! (Just a little fuel for the fire)

Old 10-01-2000, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Design, go for the Grizz. I can't say for sure how it handles, I never been on one. However, I do have the Kodiak. And I absolutely love it. After all my research, I've decided the next one I get (and pass the Kodiak along to the wife) will be the Grizz. Now, if the Grizz uses the same braking system (pads) in the rear as the Kodiak, I strongly suggest you change them out immediately. They do not hold up, and from reading other posts this is a common problem.

Old 10-01-2000, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you can live with a 2 stroke, try the Polaris 400 Xplorer or Scrambler. You can juice it up somewhat & not have any more money spent than you would on a stock Grizz. A stock Grizz & Xplorer are awfully close performance wise, but I once rode a modded out 400 Xplorer & WOW! All you can do is hang on for the ride. Took premium fuel, though.
As far as I know, the Scramblers from Polaris will slightly outrun the Grizz (both the 400 & 500), but are not nearly as useful utility wise. The 400 Xplorer stock is close, modified MUCH faster, and has utility use. The Grizz will run away from a standard 500 Sortsman. Don't know about the HO. As for the 650 Kawi...I don't know but I sure would like to test drive one!
Farmr

Old 10-01-2000, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

The "baddest 4x4" topic has been like the chicken and the egg argument, with no definative answer. Basically, you cannot buy it, you will have to build it. Spend 7-8 thousand on a new ATV, then spend another 5-10 thousand on modifications and you may have the baddest 4x4 for 6 months. Then it all starts over again. Providing you don't die from a head injury.