Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Wolverine Locker/Unlocker Hard to install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Locker/Unlocker Hard to install?

I am posting this agian because before I did not get any answers. I Ordered a wolverine Locker that locks the front differential. And an unlocker that alows 2wd. I know the unlocker is just like the warn 424. Is the Unlocker or warn 424 hard to install? Does it give you good directions? Also is the Locker hard to install? Does it also give directions. Some one please anser.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Former Sponsor

The WARN 424 Select is really easy to install. Should take about 2-3 hours tops.. The wolverine is about the easiest..
So far as the LOCKER.... That will be harder... Can't say exactly... Good luck.. Let me know how it goes, as I am very interested in teh locker for my Vinson 500

Ps, I have ridden a Wolv plenty with the WARN 424 and it makes the machine AWESOME !!! You;ll love that,,

Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

I installed a locker on mine last weekend. Wasn't too bad. I kind of made it harder on myself because I put the case back together, siliconed and all, and then realized I forgot to put the two shim washers back in it. So I had to split it again, clean the silicone and redo it . Wasn't too bad though. The directions weren't for my exact atv but it was close enough that you get the point. Just make sure you put everything back in the same way. Those two washers I was talking about above were two dif thicknesses so I had to figure out which one went on which side. After that... it went together easily. It helps to spray some silicone remover on the split case to get the old silicone off, then I used brake cleaner to clean everything out and it also cleans and dries away so you'll be ready for some fresh silicone.

You'll like the locker, I must say I think it already saved my vinson last weekend. We were riding near a creek when I got the crazy idea to try and cross it. It didn't look too bad but was running pretty hard because of the rains from the previous day. It was probably about 2 foot deep. That was in the shallow spot, it was deep on both sides of that. So anyways I tried to cross it and the current was too strong and was pushing me down stream. I tried to back up but it just turned me facing downstream as well. I thought I was about to lose it in the current down in the deep hole around the corner. I finally decided the only way I was going to have a CHANCE to get out was to try to go down stream into the deeper part and try to cut back towards the bank. I put it in 4x4 and took off with the water pushing me. It made it to the bank and over a log just before a high bank and the creek corner. Damn my heart was racing. I honestly don't think I could have done it without the locker. The creek bed is full of large rocks so one wheel spinning in the front wouldn't have gotten me through the current and over the log while the backend was washing around. The water got so high before I finally got out of it that i was about to come over the gas tank. I learned a valuable lesson that day, I won't make the same mistake again. That swift water is dangerous.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

How is that warn unlocker? i mean as far as performance. I had the highlifter and got rid of that after several months of re-occurring problems.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey Snowbuster..

The WARN unit works awesome... My cousin has one on his wolverine.. for 2 years now.. NO Problems... It is reversed designed from the UNlocker so it's sealed way better, and the cable mech works really well..

score one at : www.atvdirect.com stuff is really cheap there..

Good luck,,, you'll dig it,,,

Ratchet..

Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

thats good to hear. can anyone else back that up?

Old 04-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

snow buster, wut problems do u have wit ur unlocker from highlifter?