Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking For New GPS Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For New GPS Unit

Hey All,

Does anyone know of any GPS units out on the market that actually map the trails themselves rather than just the landscape? I have found that with most units they simply are inadequate for trail riding because for instance if the trail splits you'd like to see where both lead out to rather than just see the upcoming terrain. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Garmin etrex vista. What you are looking for is not the GPS function, but a software function. If you get off main trails not located on the maps loaded into your GPS then you'll not be able to see them. The GPS is just putting a crosshair on a map loaded into it. I can draw trails and load them into the GPS or I can use a track function to draw trails as I ride then down load it into my computer. Either way it is really key to get the best GPS mapping software you can find. It will make your GPS much more functional.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Curls,

What software are you running? I'm using a Magellan Meridian Platinum with MapSend Topo software. It's not detailed enough but is only thing I can load into the GPS. That's fine but I'm looking for something with more detail on my PC to create routes that I can download to the GPS. I've considered National Geographics Regional Series but have read that the trail thickness is rather large. Have you had any experience with this or any other good software? Any info will be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

I agree get the Garmen! They are the best I've seen and make sure you get the software (I use Mapsource). They also have a custom handle bar mount that's not big or ugly like most.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Neversatisfied,

I also use mapsource. It was a little pricy, but worth it. I have the National Geographic maps, but only use them as a reference guide. Hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

Citation,

Look at the Garmin Rino's. There is a Rino 110, 120, & 130. A few of my buddy's and I have The Garmin Rino 130 and they are great. If you are within a couple of miles of each other, you can see your buddy's on your screen. It tracks their movements and it also works as a two-way radio so you can stay in contact if you decide to take different trails. Another great feature is that they are waterproof up to 3 feet deep for 30 mins. Rino 130

Cirviver

Old 06-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

For what it's worth, we use Magellan SportTracs with the Mapsend topo software loaded. This combo works great here in Nevada, since there's rarely any 'new' roads showing up. We've seldom found ourselves on roads or trails that are not on the software. When we come home we download the tracks into the National Geographic software to keep a record of where we've been (or to find out where we've been).

We spent the 'big bucks' and got the official Magellan handlebar mounts (originally for our bicycles, then the ATV's when we bought them) and they work great too. I've never had one bounce off in the rough.

I've actually had pretty good luck with the Magellan Mapsend software in terms of streets in cities too. I'm a truck driver and my GPS is like American Express - I don't leave home without it - [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

I went the cheaper but very effective route. I bought a Garmin Etrex for $89.99 which is WAAS enabled. I also bought the bicycle mount which works perfectly on the ATV for $14.00. I then use a program called EXPERT GPS which downloads aerial and topo maps and draws your route on the maps and you can print them out. Works great for me.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

Check out GPSinformation.net, good stuff.