Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

93 Big bear snorkle and jetting

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Big bear snorkle and jetting

I do a lot of riding in the river and recently purchased my big bear. I put a two inch I.D. snorkle on it and it just dosn't want to run. I figure i probably need to jet it so I was just wondering if anyone had any tips. I am also taking it to Colorado this summer and will be needing to rejet it .

Old 06-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

With the few details you have given on the motor symtoms I would have to say try changing your spark plug. I ride the river quite a bit around my part of the country. How deep do you ride? One thing that also might work on your snorkle is to run a 1 1/2" sump pump hose foward and under your front rack, take the 1 1/2" hose and split it w/ a T. and run two 1 1/2" hoses up to your handlebars. You can find the hose and the T at an ACE hardware store. It may be that your getting too much air to your motor and not enough fuel. You can compensate for some of this by rejetting. The float bowl will need to be removed for this and it can be kind of technical. Whatever you do, do not try and compensate for the lack of fuel (lean mixture) by adjusting the screw toward the bottom of the carbuerator. Chances are if you do this you may mess up other things like your idle speed/mixture or you could foul your plug. When going to Colorado I suggest a couple things. You need to order a few main jets to take w/ you incase the one you try first is not right. Off the top of my head I'm thinking your going to need around a 106 or 108 main jet for 9000 to 13000 feet. A good rule of thumb is to lower your main jet size 10% for every 1000 feet increase in elevation. You can get individual jets from Kehin or K@N or some company like that. The jet kits sometimes can be a rip off if they only send you 2 or 3 jets and one needle. The only other suggestion I can give you is to get a large party balloon and blow it up w/ air and plumb it w/ a inline valve to your airbox. This way if you get on a technical stretch you can open the valve and give it that extra boost of air to get you through. When you get to a better area you can blow the balloon back up so its ready for the next technical spot.
Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

If you added a 2" snorkel your jetting is most definelty probably off. You may be running rich or lean depending on how you routed your snorkel. Here is an excellent place to begin troubleshooting: http://www.ansley.net/jetting.php. I recommend Dynojet.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

The spark plug was the major problem that I had. Before I realized that though I replaced the two inch with a one and a half. It runs pretty good but the snorkle rattles like it needs more air. I am going to try and T it like you said and see if that works better. I think I got the jetting figured out for the mountains. I ordered a 110 and a 106 main jet so we will see. I ordered from Dyno-jet and they weren't sure about elevations above 6000 ft. they recommended a 110 for 6000ft. but where we are going we wil be traveling from 8000 to 11000 so I got the 106.

We go in the deepest water we can find. usually around three to five feet.

Than ks for the info.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Hey River Maniac you sure sound familiar. Are you from Nebraska>

Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad to hear it worked for ya. And to answer your question. NO I'm not no Husker!!!! Why, are you? I'm from where the big boys play, not from down in Nebraska where the deepest thing to ride in is Shell Creek. Just giving you a hard time about being a Husker though.
Ride on and be SAFE !!!!