Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Vinson, Kodiak,or Rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson, Kodiak,or Rubicon?

Which one is the better atv for overall performance?

Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Uh-oh, you trying to start a brand war here?!?

Really though, overall utility performance? I looked at the three you mention here too. Mainly utility for my needs.

Even though Yamaha has been my preferred brand for sleds and 2 stroke bikes over the years, the Kodiak was too small for me. I also have no desire to own a belt driven machice, but still looked at them - and would have bought a camo 05 450 with 0 miles on it ($5,000!!) if I was there a day earlier, but it was gone.

So, my choice was narrowed down to the Vinson 5 speed and Rubicon. They were within $200 of each other new. I felt that the Vinson was sportier, a little faster, and rode better, but did not have the fit and finish of the Honda, not far off though. I have beaten Hondas relentlessly with little trouble, always had good luck. Did not like the shifter/floorboard set up on the Vinson - try to shift it with Sorels on your feet! I also did not like the full plastic fenders, compared to the pop-off fender extensions on the Honda. Seen a few Vinsons with busted fenders (often in tight treed off-camber areas, which prevented me from looking at some of the behemoths out there like the AC 500 5 speed, but the Yamaha gets through this stuff the best). The Hondamatic is second to none. I like having auto or manual, although I rarely use auto myself anymore. Now that the 05 Rubicon rides better, has the 2 or 4wd switch, and discs in the front, my decision would have been easier.

Can't go wrong with any of these three, but one is going to fit you better.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

All are great machines. I would suggest that you try to ride all three and see what fits you the best.

I also looked at the Vinson when I was looking to buy and the Rubicon fit me better. I have owned several Hondas and like "propnut" said, they will take a beating and always come back for more. You will be happy with any of the three but one will stand out as being better for "YOU". Test ride them all and then make your decision. Nobody can tell you which one is better b/c what is best for me may not be the best for you! I can only tell you that I LOVE my Rubi and it was the best quad for me and the type of riding that I like to do.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cirviver

Old 06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Cirviver
All are great machines. I would suggest that you try to ride all three and see what fits you the best.

Good Advice!!! Couldn't have said it better myself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the help...

Old 06-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Of the three you've listed, it would have to be the Vinson for sheer performance. I would pick the Rubicon for reliability and utility work however and the Kodiak is a great machine as well, but just slightly less power compared to the others if all are in stock form.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Former Sponsor

I have ridden them all, an echo most of the others,,,,

You have to determine what you will be doing MOST of the time with the machine and your riding style...

Kodiak is now INDY rear suspension... Cushy.. NOt good for fast trail riding..... To cramped for my style,,,, Like the locker in the front though....

Honda - Bullet proof.... Now has new look and In/out 4x4..... Better looking

Suzuki - Best in class almost every test... Best Power, Most FUN, great ergonomics.... COOLEST LOOKING machine in earth... ( fir a sport / ute) wont be as reliable in the long run as Honda

All are good for utility but Kodiak prob best for the utility...

Sit on em all.... Ride em..... Go for what feels the best... THey are all good.. Ride on

Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

rubicon said and done

Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I would say of those three I like the Rincon the best, do to the sporty feel and the strong performance of the 500 Suki motor. THe rubicon would be my second choice but only if its a 2005 with switchable 2wd/4wd.

Best quad in this price range of 6000.00-7000.00 is the Brute Force 650 with a 6500.00 MSRP with the power and feel of a big bore at the price of a 450-500 class. With out a doubt if I were buying a quad in this price range it would be a Brute Force 650.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

You just can't beat that Rubicon transmission. It's as good as it gets.

Quick Reply: Vinson, Kodiak,or Rubicon?