Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility ATV's a dying breed>?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility ATV's a dying breed>?

That was a good one. I have a 500 setting in my enclosed trailer that will do the job. Matter a fact it is all ready for Saturdays ride.

Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I guess you guys do not like Honda for some reason. Honda does not use belts on any of there models. The only honda that is not gear driven is the rubicon. Since the John deers are BRP traxters I do not see what the problem is there. BRP or JD dealers should be able to handle any service problems for many years to come. BRP is still building them so they still have parts available. Yamaha also has several gear driven quads, I even posted links earlyier. I keep hereing people gripe about the Bayou not being available when it is available even in 2006 models that are not even out yet. I can't think of realy hardley any models that have been dropped entirerly. BRP still makes theres, only difference is that they are green and available at 3 times as many locations as BRP was able to offer them from (dealers). Kawi still makes the Bayou , honda has several work quads to pick from. Yamaha still makes several gear driven utility quads. Susuki has the Eiger, Vinson 5spd, and a smaller 250 utility thats also gear driven. I can think of at least 15 different models offered by 5 different brands that are gear driven work type utility quads, ranging from 200-500cc both 2wd and 4wd some liquid cooled some air cooled. I just don't see what the big deal is.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: cc1999
The only honda that is not gear driven is the rubicon. Since the John deers are BRP traxters I do not see what the problem is there. BRP or JD dealers should be able to handle any service problems for many years to come. BRP is still building them so they still have parts available.
Here's a big problem: in the case of Deere, 2006 is the final year of the deal they have with Bombardier. Unless there is soon an announcement that Bombardier will continue to build those machines beyond 2006, those Deere "traxters" (the "Buck" series) will be really tough to sell; I sure wouldn't buy something so where future service would be so tenuous.

As for Honda, can you tell me why the Rincon doesn't come with a low range?

Old 06-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

I still do not see what JD does or does not do in 2007 has to do with buying one now or not buying one. Just because they might not get them anymore a year or two from now.Do you think they can't fix them. If that were the case I should start to panic now that Suki is no longer going to sell Kawasaki Praries (Twin Peaks) I have 2 of them. I think just about any ATV shop can handel most any service work needed. If thought it made a big difference or there was a major problem and in the case of JD, my JD dealer sold all his ATV specialty tools, sevice manuals and fired all his mechanics, then I would just take it to the BRP dealer. In my case a kawi dealer. Traxter seris quads have been around a long time, so you can bet parts will be available a long time from now. I can still buy parts now for a three wheeler I had 24 years ago. There is just no way service could ever be a big problem as long as there is BRP.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I don't have anything against sport quads but I won't let them on my land. Too much wheel spinning and wrecking trails. If I had a special track or something fine but for trail riding they just do too much damage. It is difficult not to give a sport quad throttle and spin your wheels - it is too much fun! The problem is that all that wheel spinning tears up my trails. for the same reason I won't ride a motorcycle on my trails. A very small contact patch and wheel spin makes for dirt slinging and ruts. Just the nature of the beast. I could ride my old honda across my meadow and other than the bent grass you would never know I was there. Riding my dirt bike made ruts. Riding my friend's banshee and it would be ok as long as you putted along which is extremely difficult to do. it is just too hard not to giver her throttle and let her rip. That is fun but it makes a mess.

Back several years ago we had access to a large farm and were on the verge of getting access to neighboring land owners but a group of sport quads we called "the banshee crowd" (cuz most rode banshees) ruined the whole works. They cut fences, rode off the trails we had created and did an enormous amount of damage which ended up getting the land closed for ATVs hunting fishing camping and hiking - everything. They tore up one fragile hillside so bad it took thousands of dollars to stabilize it and as far as I know it is still a mess. Every place there was a hill they did wheel spinning hill climbs and tore up the hill causing erosion problems. Not to mention they didn't have permission to ride there in the first place. They cut fences, wrecked crops, trespassed on neighboring land which caused us to lose any chance to get access and they all had such loud exhausts that it annoyed the hell out of everyone living in the area. We had nice trails made which were carefully routed so there weren't problems with tearing stuff up and where we had mud holes and runs they were in areas where they wouldn't cause all sorts of erosion problems. It was a great place to ride and it took a lot of work and good relationship with the farmer to get access. That bad bunch of riders wrecked it for everyone. We weren't the ones causing problems but it was guilt by association. We tried to do trail repairs and to stop the hill climbing but it was hopeless and the farmer was incredibly angry about the whole thing and frankly i don't blame him. He was out thousands of dollars in trying to get the worst hill erosion problems stopped not to mention the damage they did to his fields. They would make race tracks in his crops and would cut fences which let his cattle out into fields they shouldn't be in.

I think the top thing that get trails and land closed are loud pipes/noise issues. Probably followed by going off established trails and tearing up fragile land and littering along trespassing on neighboring land.

As much as we like to bash the tree huggers (most of whom deserve all the bashing they get) the sad truth is 9 times out of 10 WE are our own worst enemy by doing things which makes it all too easy for legislators and landowners to close trails and make land off limits. In other words we need to clean up our own act of we want to have access to riding areas.

Captain, great post.

Actually you bring up what I consider to be our second largest problem with our public image and land access. That is how just a few selfish inconsiderate, and most times ignorant riders can really screw things up for the whole sport. Even though the overwhelming majority of riders are not that way its still the burden were all forced to bear and overcome if we intend to enjoy our sport.

Funny thing I noticed is that most of the complaints around here in the past have somehow included a group of riders that favored the banshee too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now think about this. Since that is our second largest problem I bet you cant wait to hear what I think is the biggest. It actually has nothing to do with model, ride style, or even someones level of understanding of the landowners needs. What I am getting at is how we as a group (all offroad enthusiasts, atv, bikes, trucks etc) are so totally unwilling to get more involved in saving, controlling, and just protecting the rights we all share.

I have been working with a few local and even national atv and offroad related groups in various ways, and the one thing I have found that they all share as a major issue is that the majority of riders and enthusiasts cant be bothered to lift a finger to help a cause that is helping them enjoy their chosen activity.

I understand we all are short on time and many are not able to handle what we have on our plates already, but the same rider who cant take a couple hours to attend a meeting or protest and is just too busy will most always find the time to ride, and even if it means a day off work!! And its even more puzzling that with the absolute millions of riders accross the country that we cant get enoughof them to write letters to our elected officials to show our true numbers.

Maybe when things get as bad as they are here in other areas of the country more will realize that without fighting for our right to ride and acceess etc we wont have to worry about the decision of dedicating some time to our sport since with no place to ride we all will have plenty of time.

Sorry for the rant, but it is what it is.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

they are still going but very slow.