Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Big Bores worth the Price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bores worth the Price?

Hey, i currently own a 2000 Yamaha Banshee that I'm looking to sell. I'm looking into getting a 4x4. The Suzuki Eiger 400 auto has impressed me. I recently rode my grandfathers honda 400 2x4 and it had enough power but was really low geared. My Uncle recently bought a Kawasaki Brute Force, he's very impressed and I've ridden it. I was amazed at the power (bieng more of a 2 stroke guy myself.) I'm debating on saving a little bit and trying to get a deal on a Brute Force or a King Quad. Although when i rode my grandfathers Honda it kept a grin on my face through the muck (he has 25' 589s all the way around). My question is, are the big bores worth the extra buck? I wouldn't mind having the extra power of a 700 or even a 500, but can a 400 go where the bigger bores can?

Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

A 400 might be able to go through some stuff but not alot that the 700 and over cc's will be able to go through. Also a 400 would be lost in the dirt if your trying to keep up with the bigger bores. In my opinion the bigger bores are worth every penny. Nowadays they will keep up with alot of the sport atvs and plus they are a 4x4. You won't go wrong with a Brute.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

As far as trail riding or mudding, the Eiger can keep up with the big bores, I do it every weekend, and my Eiger was $2000 or $3000 cheaper than my 3 buddies Rincons and Brute. My friends are like "I can't believe you just went through that hole that my 650 barely went through", they just have a funny look on their face like they've just been ripped off. Yes in a flat out race the big bores are faster but not by a whole lot ( other than the Brute, it is fast as hell). All I know, is I go trail riding and mudding every weekend and I come out the same as these big bores do, and my Eiger doesn't break down, and I am hard on it, can't say the same for the other ones, I pulled a Rincon out of a hole 2 weeks ago and pulled Brute back to the truck this weekend because of a broke tie rod. The Eiger is the best bike for the price, but if you want something with more zip, go with the Brute Force 650, its also a good deal.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

i say get the brute and put a big bore, but yes its worth the price.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

If your coming off a Banshee anything less then a big bore will be.... well, boring [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haha, yeah. Especially if the Banshee is putting out 75 horsepower. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My local dealer is having a sale on the BF 650. He's asking $5,699. I just need to get my Banshee sold so i can get down there and buy one. Thanks for all the info. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

That's a great deal, you better jump on that. I test drove one before I bought my Eiger and I couldn't believe the power that thing had. If it came with a manual tranny I would have bought one (I'm kind of old school, I like manuals), but I'm more than happy with my Eiger.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm probably going to put new tires on it so i have a better chance of getting what i want because the ones i have on it now are pretty bald. I'll get to it though, thanks for the advice.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Dusty, I bought two 400's because I was buying two at a time - one for me - one for my wife. Perhaps if I'd been just buying one for me, I'd have gotten more cc's. One biggie was about what it cost for two middies. But now that I have the 400, I've grown to like it. Of course, you always like what you have... I'm afraid if I had lots more cubes and the accompanied higher top speed, I just might kill myself. So I'm content to cruise a top speed of about 42-45 mph. I've yet to find a hill I can't climb or limb I can't jump, and I've already rolled mine and narrowly excaped injury, and all for about $2000 less than a big bore.

So as usual, it's all about personal choice - and how much money you can afford to part with. You'll love whatever you buy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: MrTommy
I'm afraid if I had lots more cubes and the accompanied higher top speed, I just might kill myself. So I'm content to cruise a top speed of about 42-45 mph. I've yet to find a hill I can't climb or limb I can't jump, and I've already rolled mine and narrowly excaped injury, and all for about $2000 less than a big bore.
q]

I hear ya there...I thought about a bigger quad, but settled for the Eiger. And I still fly through the woods way too fast, plus the bigger ones are just that, bigger. More weight on top of ya if it rolls, and not as agile. However, leaving the Eiger out of it, bigger quads will do better in stuff than a smaller one. The power and top end will make it worth it. Especially if your looking into big mud tires. My buddy at work has a big bore with enourmous tires and it still will outaccelerate many other smaller quads.

Quick Reply: Big Bores worth the Price?