Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

Like the title said I am a rookie BUT I feel too many people ask what they should get w/o providing enough info. Here's my info so that you experienced atv guys can lend me a huge helping hand if you don't mind. I sold my one and only "toy" ('97 seadoo waverunner, bought new) after riding it a ton, to buy my wife's wedding ring. My friends still are shocked (8-9 yrs later) that I didn't buy an atv because obviously you can use them 12 months a yr vs 3 (in St. Louis) and I've wanted one all of my life....well the time has come. I have $3400 saved and by the end of the year I will have enough.

First, places I would ride...my buddy has 100 acres of woods, hills, fields, and a creek about 25 minutes away and those familiar with this area know that about 35-45 min away is St. Joe park (2,000 acres for off road use owned by the state, $2 a day to ride). My brother in law (1 hr away) has hundreds of acres outside his front door in an area that is not developed either...lots of great creeks, trails... Also, my subdivision has a little area of fields and woods and won't be fully developed for another 2 yrs, so at least after a day's work, I could jump on it for a quick ride around (even to the pool, another guy takes his golf cart) and blow off some steam. Obviously, I don't have the absolute best riding areas like some of you but I wanted to paint a picture for you of where I would ride....mostly trails, but speed is still important to me.

I am 6'5", 255 lbs so having a bike that will fit me is very important. I know I am a rookie but with my size I def would want a sport bike at 400 or above or a utility at 500 or above. That brings me to the milliion dollar ? of where to start there. I prefer a sport (really considering the 450r and can't wait to see what '06 brings) but will it be too much for a rookie? My personal belief is that after a few times out I'd probably be fine. The benefit to a utility is riding with my 6 yr old daughter or 3 yr old son. (he has the polaris 700 battery operated quad and absolutely loves it!...anyone know where to get those rubber belts that go over the plastic tires to keep it from wearing bigger holes in them?) I will be the first generation atv rider in the family and def want them to have 50cc and 80cc quads in just a few yrs (he's only 3). I guess if I had a utility I would probably have a plow (for that once or twice a yr big snow) and it would be good to ride with a buddy that wants a utility as well for hunting but a sport just looks like so much fun. I rode my bro in laws 300 AC the other day and it was way to slow, heavy, and didn't handle well at all) I saw a guy's 450r the other day and absolutely loved the way it looks. I subscribe to 2 atv mags, read almost everything here I can and am now relying on your advice. I am posting my story here because I am partial to Honda's. On the utility side I would prefer it to be EFI, but it doesn't have to be (I know Honda doesn't have one yet, also like the Suz KingQuad) and with IRS (I wouldn't be towing anything) and 500cc or so, I really don't want anything less and I don't need any of the new heavy 800's. On the sport side...I really like what I read and hear about the 450r, and would also consider a 400, although not my first choice. Is the 450r too much for the trails, fields, creeks....etc?

I have advantages and disadvantages to owning a sport or a utility for my first quad. Sorry guys this is sooo long....I have waited a LONG time to post this and I can't wait to get started in the ATV world (even at 31!) and raise both of my kids to ride!

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated and if I left anything out PLEASE ASK!

Old 07-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

You know my feelings stock. Chalk up a vote for the Suzuki KingQuad.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

thanks red goblin! Greenville, IL...you probably aren't too far away unless you are way north? Ever ride at St. Joe, if so what do you think? In the 7-8 months that I have been reading every atvrider and atvaction mags plus being here I can't tell you the # of articles I have read on the 700 King Quad and the great job Suzuki has done!.....EFI, IRS!!! I would DEF consider one if I go the Utility route....I like the black color for '06 as well. How old are you, how much do you weigh, where do you ride it and do you have it mostly for fun? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

ps.....we'll see our Cards in the series again this year! Did you see last night's game...Albert's walk off homer!!!......ok back to ATV talk...

Old 07-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

stocks,
From what terrain you said you'd be on, it sounds like a utility quad would fit you better.I would have to recommend the KQ 700 too. Since you want to drive year round and in the snow, a sport quad wouldn't be a good choice for that, they have lower ground clearance than utilitys and most of them aren't 4x4s. But don't think you'd be giving up speed with the KQ. It has a top speed of 73mph stock and it has great acceleration. It's around 600lbs, a very controlable weight in my opinion. It's also one the cheapest of the new big bore machines. I love mine! Not sure on how much you plan on spending but this quad is well worth it and will not disappiont!

Old 07-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any current riding buddies? If all your buds have utes and you get a sport(or vice versa) you may have times when one type of quad lags way behind while on the trails. Also, sports can be difficult if you are riding in thick mud, snow over 6" deep, or deeper water crossings. It looks like you really don't need the quad for working. My personal feeling is that you will have more fun with a good sport . I am 5'9", 200lbs and can go most places the utes do, usually at a much higher rate of speed. You are in the enviable position of being able to see all the latest and greatest new 06's that are about to come out before you purchase. You might want to look at the open class sports, since you could use the extra low end grunt when riding slowly with your kids. The 450R is a great quad and will work well also, as you could always gear it down or install a Rekluse auto clutch.

Either way you go, just take it easy until you develope your skills. Take a riding course ASAP. Having ridden a PWC will probably reduce your learning curve on the ATV anyway.

Old 07-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

thanks TOYEBOY & SCOOTER86, I am leaning now a little towards the ute's because of it probably being more of a long term more practical choice than a sport as far as quick rides for the kiddos, driving in the creeks, fields, rocky Missouri trails.....

My biggest fear is that at St. Joe (MO state ATV park) that I will grow envy of the sports flying by me.....although I like the sound of the KingQuad's acceleration and top end! I will def look at the KingQuad....any issues or anything with the new EFI KingQuad now that it has officially wrapped up its first year? I'm hoping the Rincon will have it too and then I will really have a hard choice in a few months....

Old 07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I've had two sport ones (Quadzilla and currently a DS650X) and loved both machines. I just turned 35 this year and am 6' 220 and really have been having more fun on a utility this year. That may also be because most of the guys I ride with have utilities. What I like about the utilities is staying clean and going anywhere.
The Prarie or its clone is also a good handling machine and I believe is high in the standings in the GNCC this year and might also be a good choice. It has a sporty feel to it.
Both classes of machines have their pros and cons. Riding two up is way easier on a utility and doesn't affect the handling near as much as the sports. If you go the sport route though, you might want to look at the used market. There are many one and two year old machines that can be had for way less than a new one. That way if you decide you want to switch to the utlility it won't be as expensive. IN our area sport bikes are way more plentiful than utilities for sale.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Well I was a 59 year old rookie when I started looking for my first ATV. You're sure to get two tons of well intended advice here but you and you along have to make the final decision.

As has been suggested before - you should seriously consider riding machines similar to what your buds ride - UNLESS you have a specific desire or need that would warrant your making another choice.

My choice was easier: From '87 to '98 I drove a Coevette. I'm used to quality and good performance. I choose my vehicles for their anticipated peformance in the ways I intend to use them. I have a ranch in the desert and 2000 square miles of desert wilderness to ride in. I need a ute for it's working utility on the ranch and because I prospect in the desert. I need to carry stuff - sometimes more than just a "little".

My biggest concern (since because of my age, I didn't know any ATVers) was weeding out all the BS and making a decision on first "brand", then "engine size". I'm 6' and weigh 215. Also because of my age, I wanted the machine with the best reputation for the highest reliability.

I bought a Honda Rancher ES 4x4. It was a wise choice for me. It's pulled me and a 225# passenger, plus all my gear loaded and towed the passenger's 3 wheeler up a mountain you'd have to see to believe and 6 miles back to the ranch - with ease.

Then I added a Recon (250) to my livery so I'd have something for a "guest" to ride or a back up should need be. I took it to the Ranch and wrung that puppy out in spades. Frankly, I was amazed at the Recon's power and agility. It'll do "almost" anything the Rancher will do. The Recon is zippier and more of a fun ride, but the Rancher is a work horse. I'm very pleased with both purchases and if I had it to do over I'd buy the same machines without hesitation.

You're much younger and no doubt have different applications in mind. I gather Honda isn't all that well thought of in the sport venue and I now have friends who ride other brands of machine than I and they seem to perform as well. Some have other features, some don't.

The bottom line is you have to wade through all the BS, the brand loyalty and decide what works best for you. I wouldn't want a 500, heck I wasn't all that impressed with the 400 I rode. I'm happy with what I have.

Whatever choice you make, I hope 3 years down the rode you can say the same.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I was in your shoes once. I had a Wolverine and wanted a new quad. I couldn't decide, sport or ute. I ended up getting a Grizzly. I too wanted something fast and fun but also wanted something I could use for riding in mud, snow and for hunting. The sport quads are a blast to ride, don't get me wrong. I'm 40 and thought a utility with IRS would be more comfortable and I'd wake up less sore the next day. I never regreted my choice.

With the sport quads, you will get really muddy with the lack of fender protection. I can ride through alot of mud and hardly get anything on me, with the Grizzly. My son gets covered from head to toe on his Warrior, riding the same trails. Not that you would care, but the wife might.

The ute would be better for putting around the yard with the kids too. The wife could learn to ride it if you got an auto.

My vote goes for the one of the big auto 4x4's. I think the King quad you liked would be a better choice for you. You will enjoy riding it, making new trails and blasting through mud holes, especially with the ride areas you talked about. Now if you had a motorcross track in your backyard, I'd recomend the 450R.

Quick Reply: Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!