Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2005 Polaris MV7 review

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris MV7 review

I had been in the market for some time for a new ATV and had ridden and studied everything to death. I was looking for a dual purpose big bore quad mainly for work around the farm but also for trail use. I noticed right off that most ATV's are still made for play and needed upgrading for hard work use. I noticed that several of the local shops had MV7's that seemed to be moving slowly so I started running the numbers and thought I might be able to get a decent deal for one and I think for the way they are equipped I did okay ($8000 OTD). When you add up the extras I think it was a bargain, it has front and rear 2500lb. Warn winches, twin fuel tanks (8.75 gal. total), Goodyear mud-runner run-flat tires worth $120 each, 2" reciever hitch w/1500lb. towing, huge front and rear flat racks coated with bed liner with a total carrying capacity of 450lbs. with a total of 14 heavy duty D-rings all over the place and plenty of body armor. Yes, its heavy (992lb.) but the motor seems plenty strong and the extra weight along with the heavy springs make it "extremely" stable on the steep stuff with very, very little body lean.
Its not a play bike but if you need an ATV for real work or rock crawling its worth taking a closer look at. One feature thats real nice too is the reinforced foot wells, the extra size along with the large racks really keeps the mud away better than anything else I've ever ridden. The MV7 uses the carbureted 700 motor and it has a pull start. The only place I can see that needs improvement is the front struts, for some reason polaris uses the softest sruts around. I installed a set of aftermarket gas struts on my old 500 explorer and it works much better.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should have just gotten a tractor. A tractor would probably handle as well out on the trail as the huge Polaris will.

The thing about something that large and heavy, is that when it is stuck, it is REALLY stuck. I have the same reservations about the 1,000+ pound Rhino. It comes stock with winches front and rear, right??? Probably a good thing!

And, be quick to bail if it ever rolls!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

its not as big as you think it is

Old 08-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, it's not much bigger than the other large Polaris machines, but from my point of view the whole Polaris lineup is way larger and heavier than any ATV should ever be, and the MV7 is even heavier than all the rest.

There is just a point where machines get so big and heavy that they really aren't actually ATV's anymore, and all they really are is just a tractor that you ride a different way. Now it sounds like a tractor is primarily what VT needs, but I think he is going to be extremely disapointed when he takes it out on the trail!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

maybe to you it sounds like a tractor, but its suposed to be a tank, thats why its built for the US Military. i agree all of the polaris machines being exceptionally large compaired to other machines, but i really couldent give a rats ****. its only a few inches wider, so its not as much as a difference as everyone makes it out to be. and the fact that a 800 pound EFI machine that only has 10 cc's on the Brute Force and can keep up with it is astounding and a large feat of eginutity if you ask me (800 efi btw)

anyway, im just makeing a point, on with the MV7. i wonder if anyone else will release a Military version quad. i think the grizzly is the next best frame for such a machine, a few modifications, racks, armour, ect and i bet it'd be a good machine

Old 08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is the "utility" ATV section, right?

I already have several tractors, skid steers etc. and to say the MV is closer to a tractor than an ATV is just not a very smart thing to say really. On farms/ranches ATV sized machines are great for getting to remote places for fence repair/checking as well as rounding up cattle. I have also used my older ATV for hauling sick calves and anything else that needs hauling and the MV's big flat racks are perfect for that, I never know from day to day what I might run in to so it helps to have an ATV that can pull double duty if necessary.
I haven't been on any "official" trail rides yet but I have been in some pretty rough places on my farm and around the river and the difference in the handling between it and my older one is hardly noticable. There are plenty of play bikes out there but I was glad to see someone at least "offer" a real work ATV. I didn't plan on doing any desert racing with it but I did hear our boy's in Iraq are giving them a real workout in the sand, but I guess they should have just given them John Deere's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

id love to have an MV, i donno if i can justify 10,000 for one though

Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

8k for a mv7 is a great deal...like sypder said they supposed to be around 10k new

Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thatts a great deal with all the extras.
It has gotten good reveiws and said to handle its weight very well.

Jim

Old 08-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

i have allways wanted one since they came out. my neighbor has one and it handles its weight and pulls its self very well for being so heavy and they do better in the mud than you would think all you got to do is let the air out of the tires and it will go any where you want it to go in the mud

Quick Reply: 2005 Polaris MV7 review