Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Bomb 800 vs KQ 700 vs Grizz 660 (visited again...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomb 800 vs KQ 700 vs Grizz 660 (visited again...)

Well, I rode all three of them earlier today. One dealer has Yamaha and Bomb, and another dealer has Suzuki. I went to the Yamaha/Bomb place first. I compared a brand new Bomb Outlander 800 HO XT and a brand new Yamaha Grizz 660. First, the salesman and I talked and gawked at each machine's features. Then, I rode each one; the Grizz being first (salesman wanted it that way for a reason). I had ridden the Grizz a couple of months ago, so I more or less already knew how it would be. It was a nice ride. However, I did notice that the handle bars vibrated really bad while the bike was running. The salesman mentioned that it would go away a little once the machine breaks in. I thought it was way too excessive. Other than that, I was happy with the Grizz.

Next, the salesman and I walked over to the Bomb 800, and he says, "Are you ready to drive the Porsche of the ATV world?!" I said something back like, "Yeah, right..." He fired the thing up, and it sounded nice. The V-twin was a little quieter than the single on the Grizz. So, I got on, put it in high gear, and then hit the throttle a little. Needless to say, I could tell within the very first few seconds of the bike moving that there is basically a major difference in the ride quality between the Grizz and Bomb 800. I am now convinced...........that Bomb 800 has an awesome ride! Even though I would rather not admit it since I have been so skeptical over Bomb's in particular, that 800 XT was simple awesome! The ride of the Bomb 800 was just so much smoother than the Grizz; it was VERY apparent.

I gave each one about the same distance and drive time in the lot, with slightly more time going to the Bomb. I pulled the Bomb back over to where the salesman was standing and acted like I was going to get off. He comes up and says something like, "Wait a minute..........back her up over there near the entrance (to the dealership) and tells me to get on it a little so I could feel the awesome power of the thing." So, I did. I backed it up and positioned it to where I had a good 60 - 70 yards of runway on the pavement parking area. I leaned forward and nailed that throttle pretty good. All I got to say is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! That damn thing lit out so damn fast that the front wheels left the ground, and before I even knew it I was at the end of the running space and already having to hit the break! Nice first impression of that particular machine, to say the least.

So, the dude and I go inside to talk about specs, pricing, etc. He quoted me nearly $10,700 OTD!!! Again, that's for the 800 HO XT (non-MAX series). He only has one in stock, which he said arrived just a few days ago. It is the yellow color, which after seeing it up close doesn't look all that bad at all. I think I would rather have the green though. BUT, even though it is a very nice machine and the ride was amazing, there is no way in hell I am going to pay that kind of money for something like that when I have can have semi-comparable from another quad.

Well, after doing all of that I decided that the afternoon just wouldn't be complete without a test drive of the Suzuki KQ, too! Off I went to the Suzuki dealer. Basically, I "oh'd-n-ah'd" over it for a few minutes, and then took it for a spin. Remember, today was the first time I had actually ridden anything other than the Grizz for a comparison. In other threads on this website, you can read posts from individuals like Toyeboy, Stocks, MercuryNewt, Beardman, etc talking about the KQ and its ride. Well, now I am happy to say that I am a firm believer in that regard as well. The KQ simply has an awesome ride, also! AND, as Beardman (and others I am sure) have recently stated, the KQ absolutely DOES HAVE a better, more smoother overall ride than the Grizz!!! It was the same way, I could tell that the KQ rode better than the Grizz within the first 10 - 15 feet of the quad moving.

However, I did notice on the KQ how the front end will dip a little when going into a turn. But, I assume that can be adjusted with the shock settings? Also, I have read some posts from others talking about the cheap plastic on the sides of the machine. I assume what is being referred to is the "protective" plastic around the engine housing, etc.? The salesman removed one of the covers to show me, but then had a heck of a time trying to get it put back on in place correctly. It seemed as though the little push-button plastic releases were not that reliable of a mechanism for holding on the pieces.

As a result, I am now 99.99% certain that I will not be buying a Grizz over the KQ. And, I know for a fact that I won't be paying $3000 more than the KQ to have a glorified Bomb 800 XT. Again, that Bomb seemed like an awesome machine, but that doesn't make it worth $3000 more in my book.

It will almost certainly be a 2006 Suzuki KQ in olive-drab green for me when it comes down to it.

By the way, I left the Suzuki dealer and headed over to the Honda/Kawi/Polaris dealer next. I just looked there; didn't ride anything. Was wanting to see a new 2006 Rincon, but of course I knew they wouldn't have any anyway.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

First off, it really isn't a $3000 difference. The guy was trying to stick it to you over MSRP. Like many others, I purchased mine at a discount off MSRP. You also have to consider the extra equipment you get - Front and Rear Bumpers, Warn 2.5 Winch (installed), excellent factory tires, and hand guards. I did replace my wheels and tires, but I will use stock to race. They are great and are very light weight.

I bought mine for approx $9220 out the door. Compare that with the additional stock equipment, and you will see a tiny difference.

BTW...I have over 200 miles on my Outty in very harsh mountain, mud, and rocky conditions and she performed flawlessly.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

The vibration on the Grizzly will not go away with time. You just get used to it. I have heard a lot of good things about the King Quad.