Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Inexpensive utility ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive utility ATV

Hi all, I've already learned a ton on this site so thanks. I'm sort of a novice, but I need to buy one, so let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I stopped at a local ATV dealer and drove around a Polaris ATP. It was great, but I think that it is overkill for what I need. I need a something that will do two things, pull a Swisher T-60 tow behind mower and plow snow. If it is fast and is great on trails that's a nice bonus, but not really a factor to me. The other thing, is that since I can buy a nice John Deere L130 for $2,599 MSRP, I don't want to spend a ton either, the Polaris ATP is almost double that. The reason I don't want the lawn tractor is because any ATV with a T-60 will cut so much faster and any ATV with a plow HAS to be better than a John Deere with a plow, even if their both 2x4s with chains. I'd really like something new too in that $3k range (preferably lower $3k). Too picky? Probably. Anyway, so here's what I've checked out:

06 Polaris Sawtooth - $3,299 MSRP
05 Polaris Train Boss 330 - $3,899 MSRP
05 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 - $3,599 MSRP
05 Polaris Phoenix 200 - $3,199 MSRP

I'm not stuck on Polaris, I just heard their solid utility ATVs, I'm open to any suggestions. Also, any comments about plowing with a 2x4? I think all of these are 2x4s and I know the 4x4s are more pricey.

I know I'm asking a lot, but you all are good, that's why I ask! Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Try Honda rancher (350) 2x4 you can get them for around $3300 or the Honda recon (250) for $2600. Rember though dealer setup fees will run you anywhere from 300 to 400 dollars. Sometimes you can "talk" your way out of those and get the out the door price back down to the sale price. From what I here the 2 wheel drive rancher will do just about anything the 4x4 one will do.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks coeyjames for the tip. So, you think any 2x4 will plow okay then? Or are you saying Rancher 2x4 is better than most?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not forget to compare the Yamaha Big Bear. A great Utility machine and rock solid. Does not have a lot of gizmos and is a proven platform. it is 400cc and can be had in 4x4. The MSRP is $5199, but anm confident that it can be had cheaper. Or look for a used model as they have not changed much and most owners are not beating the crap out of them since it is not a mchine a lot of younger riders go for. Dont' mean to confuse you , but hope I helped a little.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

for pure utility and trails a sportsman is the way to go, and yes i know its too much for you, however, i would buy the Sawtooth over the others, or even a Magnum. since your pulling a utility job, id stick with polaris or BRP as their weight helps for traction

Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

The yamaha Bruin's are a great ute quad, 350 cc, automatic, push button 4x4, or there is a 2x4 bruin also.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

You really will need 4x4 for plowing snow, your rear tires will just spin on the icy surface and you won't move much, if any snow. I plowed last year with my old 400 polaris and it takes a lot of power for a quad to push snow because snow is so heavy and all 4 wheels need to be turning(or at least 3.5 wheels need to bwe turning).

You should definitely look at a Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki before making your decision on a Polaris, I found Polaris to be very appealing when I was searching for a quad, but I know now that I should have checked other brands before that purchase because it wasn't what I thought it would be when I got it home[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img].
You definitely shouldn't get a Phoenix 200 for plowing!! I don't know about the others.

Old 10-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

You definately will need 4x4 for plowing! If you get any serious winter storms where the snow is deep, wet and/or icy, then a 4x4 is a must. I suggest a Honda Rancher 350 4x4, Yamaha Bruin 4x4, Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 or a Polaris Magnum 330 4x4. You can find some good used Honda Ranchers (I suggest the foot shift models) as well. Hondas usually hold their value and the Rancher's reliabilty is top notch.

Spend a little bit more and get something that will do the job you want it to do. Get over the sticker shock and expect to be in more of the $5k range. Now's the time to get a good deal on a left '05 model as well. I suggest shopping around. Also, pick yourself up a local Cycle Trader (Tradin Times) if they have that in your area. Dealers usually advertise some low prices in there and it's a good tool for talking down the salesperson at your local stealership.

Just a few of my suggestions...hope I helped. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

why not buy a nice used 4x4 quad somewhere? For what you want to do I dont think brand would matter a whole lot as long as its 400cc or bigger and 4x4. Personally I would try to get an arctic cat used somewhere for that.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I think you are on the right track for a quad vs a tractor... but not on the right track for brands... I know others have mentioned that Polaris isn't the best choice, and I second that. I've tried a pair of them. Ditched them and went back to a Yamaha and decided to try my first Suzuki. Needless to say, I'll never own another Polaris ATV. Also for the mower, a small utility 4x2 atv will do fine. For snow plow duty a larger cc 4x4 is necessary.

My recommendations:
For a smaller 4x2 rig, the Yamaha Bruin family seems to be solid. I purchased the Bruin 250 for my wife and its a heck of a machine (As was my old Timberwolf I had years ago) There is also the Bruin 350 wich is automatic and available in 2 or 4x4 models. The Bruin 250 is a 5-spd.

For a 4x4 though, I don't think I'd choose a Bruin 350 4x4 when a Big Bear 400 is only $100 more. Its a 5-spd as well and is better suited to a plow than the Bruin. Honestly I compared the Bear and Eiger and since I was able to get the Eiger for the price I wanted thats the machine I went with. The Suzuki Eiger 4x4 is a 400 also, and is available with Auto or Manual and BOTH have a LOW RANGE wich is a must have in MY opinion for more serious back country riding or heavy work.

If you are seriously going to stick to the 250-350 2wd class machines I'd choose the Yamaha Bruin any day over the Polaris machines you have been looking at. The Ozark 250 Suzuki is a nice machine too, but it seemed to be more "Sport" while the Bruin was a little more "Utility". The Bruin had a better ride but the Ozark was a little faster.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive utility ATV