Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Inexpensive utility ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive utility ATV

Originally posted by: rob3314
Thanks so much for all the info! I've gone back and forth on the 4x4 thing. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. I think I'm leaning towards these machines:

Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4
Honda Rancher 350 4x4
Suzuki Eiger 4x4

Thanks for all the help!!!
You'll be happy with any of those three.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I chose between those three when I purchased and ended up with the Bear. I know guys who own the Rancher and love it. But, I have also seen several ATV magazine shoot-outs where the Eiger is the winner.

I chose the Big Bear because I wanted the 4x4 in/out option and I liked the styling better on the Bear than the Eiger.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Other than that...it's a toss up as far I am concerned.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

All three of those machines will serve you well and are all very reliable however if you are considering the Eiger , you should also look at a Arctic cat 400 , they have the motor and tranny out of the Eiger but they also offer alot that the Eiger does not .
Tha Cat has Independent rear suspension wich gives a way nicer ride and more ground clearance , infact it has more ground clearance than any other brand machine , including the 6 ,7 , and 800 cc class machines . the Cat also has front diff lock , bigger racks with more capacity , heavier tow rating , larger fuel tank , 2 inch receiver hitch for towing and in my opinion it is one of the nicest looking and best equipped 400's on the market .
Arctic cat's also have a 3 year warranty vs most others 6 month .
As I said before all the quads you are looking at will do the trick , but if you are considering stepping in to the 400 class , I would take a good look at the Arctic cat .

Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Slimegreen makes a good point on the arctic cat. I dont think you could get a more reliable machine especially with the manual transmission and the warranty backs it up!

Old 10-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Trailblazer

Don't count out the Arctic Cat 400 just yet, since you're looking at 400cc ATVs.

http://www.arcticcat.com/atvs/lineup...16&s=122&m=709

Choice of auto or manual, 12 inches of ground clearance stock, switchable 2WD/4WD/front differential lock, dual range tranny, and priced at ~$5,600 (probably a good deal less if you look around) makes this one KILLER bang-for-the-buck ATV. It may have IRS too, can't remember. Or, for about $500 more, you could step up to the AC 500, which is an absolute beast in any non-high-speed situation.

You will love the differential lock feature. It was the main reason I bought my 99 KQ back in late 1998. It really makes the most of having true four wheel drive. I wouldn't buy a 4x4 ATV without a locker, you'll kick yourself later on... many of my friends did when my little KQ went walking right past their 500cc+ machines in many mudding/funky terrain situations.

Arctic Cat has really stepped up to the plate in recent years, they make some very impressive ATVs with many features. They don't have to worry about dry weight restrictions like the foriegn manufacturers do (due to their agreed apon 275Kg/606lb limit), so they can make them very competitive in all markets.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:25 AM
Range Rover

I am heavily researching this same topic for a purchase in the near future. My top pic so far is the Honda Rancher 350FM for several reasons..............

1. 524 lbs..........Somewhat easier to muscle around if I am solo, like when Hunting or working.
2. Full Time 4wd........no switching selonoid to go bad, as I have no care about powersliding a Ute.
3. 5 speed manual........proven under adverse conditions
4. Electric Carb heater........Easy cold weather starts
5. Very few electronics.......Hopefully less to go wrong.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
6. Dry compartment by the handlebars for my keys and cell phone....Nice touch!
7. I have yet to have a Honda let me down.......In my racing days, I NEVER had one DNF on my Honda's![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
8. Super Low 1st Gear.................for my pulling needs!