Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Anyone have or seen this cargo box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have or seen this cargo box?

I'm going to be buying a new big bore Atv soon. I kinda wanted a 2 seater Bombardier but cannot afford the 9 grand they want for the 800. I think I'd get bored with the 400. Anyways I'm either going to get a Polaris Sportsman 700 from the dealer in Chattanooga Tenn. for only 5400 OTD or else I'm also looking at a Suzuki Twin Peaks or the Prairie 700s locally that are discounted. I'll probably go with the Suzuki/Kawasaki because I heard they have more power/acceleration. Plus I think this box would bolt up to their racks easier. Anyways I stumbled onto this cargo box. Go to www.motoxoutlet.com and then click on atv accessories, then scroll down and click on cargo boxes. This one looks pretty slick and has a built in seat also. Anyone here have one of these or seen one in person I'd like to hear of the pros and cons. Are they comfortable, built like a tank, etc? Or would I be better off getting one with a backrest and having the passenger sit on the same seat as me? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brian P.S. I also did a search at ebay under the words "atv cargo box" and found another one made by kimpex. This one looks nicer and it looks like it locks also where the earlier mentioned one looks like it doesn't. Any info on that one would be appreciated also. Thanks again, Brian

Old 10-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Kimpex box. I had a chance to compare the two at a dealer. IMO, the Kimpex is more comfortable and better built. I did not like the fact that there is not a good place for your hands on the Motox - and the rope handles were pretty cheesy.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

I did alot of searching for cargo boxes myself a while back. However, my need was not to have a useless seat but wide deep but not too tall and very strong cargo box.

My main trade off for these boxes was temporary mouning verse permanent mounting. I specially did not want a box that was attached in a flimsy way with rubber bands or belts. I wanted a bolted strong unit. The trade off was quick dismount with the perminant bolted units. Actually that not that big a problem, the bolted units used u- bolts an if I want I could removed it just not on the fly or easily. Also I might need to have new u-bolts and nuts as the used ones might have boogered threads if dismounted.

The second consideration was mounted height. I dont want to have a box that sticks up too high. I've run into this problem trail riding with a tree leaning over the trail. The highest point on your ATV is the handle bars and to go under obsticales 'like that tree', you want a box with a lower or near same height as the handle bars. Just my experienced that inflouenced my choices.

The cargo boxed I picked was a Tusk front box. Instead I installed it on my rear rack. When it arrived it tested it and found by back hit the upper edge of the box if the box's hinged side was in the rear. Not good for the aggresive riding I do. That was unexpected and kind of sucked.

So I had to mount it turned around the other dirrection and it had sufficient room because of the angle of the box.
Basicly I couldn't be sitting on it and turn around and open the lid. Well I could but I had to stand and strech over it and its not comfortable but I can do it. A small consession I can live with. On the other hand its easier access from the rear plus the lid is supported by the seat when opened and not hanging off the end which is a plus.

The Tusk front box is strong and took a roll over down a run of rock trail with only three of the u-bolts attached to the box. I over tightened one of the u-bolts and it cracked. The hings was fine and the hasps were just fine only suffered scratches on one of the corners of impact when rolling over. That says alot!

The lockable hasps are strong but they do rattle, I'm going to remedey that with rubber dip coating.

The front cargo box was priced very, well beating all competitors in its class.

Lastly if anyone is interest in including Tusk in their research of front or rear seat boxes I've only found them at one place. Rocky Mountain ATV.com My opinion is I would endorse this product based on my needs and its proven integrity.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Old 11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Do you want this box so you can ride double on a machine designed for one? If so it is not a good idea. A good way to get someone paralyzed or killed. Also, on some trail systems and public areas they will ticket your for riding double on a quad designed for one.

I'd just spring for the extra and get the 800 or some other quad actually designed for two person riding. Much safer for both you and the passenger. The extra grand or two for the 2 up model is small change compared to the price of a long hospital stay or a god forbid a funeral. I know a woman who was paralyzed from the neck down when she was riding on the back of a Honda that rolled over backwards specifically because she was riding on the back. She is in her late 30s and lives in a nursing home now. I'll bet she would pay an extra grand or two to be able to walk or simply feel anything below her chin again.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree with the Captain on this....the Bomby has a longer wheelbase and is designed to carry a passenger. Adding a rider on the rear of a single rider designed atv really upsets the handling of the machine.