Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2006 TRX680 Rincon ( New Toy Review!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 TRX680 Rincon ( New Toy Review!)

I use to own a Rincon when it first came out and enjoyed the ride, But Power was lacking when compared to the v-twin for my style of riding, so I jumped ship to a Prairie700.

Well, I'm back on board!!

When compared to some of the other utility machines. The Rincon still wont be the fastest in a straight line, But with the transmission changes, a little bump in HP and EFI the 06 is VERY Snappy! When riding with a King Quad, Brute Force750, 650, and a 650 Rinny this weekend I was very impressed and seemed to just about own 0 to 40 mph or the first 100 feet. Even allowing some to get the jump and still being quicker and its not broke in yet. Even those it looks the same when comparing it with the old Rincon, Handling, Steering, Braking and speed has improved And It ain't the same machine! I haven't really has a chance to compare it to my modded Prairie700 and I'm sure my P700 is a little faster, But may not be quicker off the line? I also think in the ruff, tight conditions I'll be able to throw the Rinny around better and it just might be a better XC racer? As far as engine breaking on this machine The Honda Trans will Never offer what you'll get from a belt drive, But with the change in gearing and EFI the Rinny seems to offer much better down shifting and what you wont get from the trans the new disc brakes allowed you to stop on a dine. After riding a good bit of Mixed Pa. terrain this weekend my body feels great! I really like this machine and plan to race in the last race of the season in the Atlantic Grand Prix Dec. 18!? Al those I'm still recovering from major surgery so I'm not 100% sure yet? but that's the plan!-LOL! For me just like any stock quad I've ridden, If your going to race it or just wanna improve ride quality even more? Elka's are needed. There was a bit of front end dive and side to side body roll. Even those right off the showroom floor handling and suspension is VERY good. For those that want Bigger and Bigger motors? I think Honda decided not to get into that game and instead refine and improve on what they already have? Like the 250-R, EX-400, and other machines that Honda has proved to be the best over time and you really dont need a gaint motor, The Rincon might be following suit?

~coop

Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear it. I hope Honda has a machine that will at least place higher in the shootouts than last or close to last like previous years with the new Rincon. I really like what Big Red has done with the new 450R and now I guess the Rincon. How did the power feel in comparison to the KingQuad?

Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Maryland,

Along with RedGoblin's ?, why the change back to a Rincon after having a Prairie 700? I hear great things about the Prairie's speed, handling, and overall sportiness for a big ute. Just curious and wanting to learn, that's all!

Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

RedGoblin,
Power felt good on this machine and it was quicker off the line then the King Quad. After the first hundred feet or so the King simply has more top end and would roll on by.

Stocks,
I've been looking to get a machine with IRS, and kind of compaired them with My Prairie. I felt the new Rinny has the quickness I was looking for and didnt feel as large as some of the other IRS machines I have ridden. I had kind of big time surgery a few months ago so I needed a machine that wasnt so harsh on my body. I really like my Prairie's speed, handling etc. But when you really push it in the woods and on the rocks you feel it the next day..

~coop

Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

maryland,

thanks.....do you think the engine breaking will be an issue...or if you have ridden it a few times, has it been an issue? I hope all is well with your recovery!

Old 11-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Are the stock tires still the same othsu radials that the older rinnys came with?....or are these different?

Old 11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

stocks~
Most riders compaire Hondas trans to the belt drive machines where when you let off the gas the machine just about pulls or engine brakes to a stop. The Honda Trans is very differant and even those they made changes its not as near as agressive as a belt dirve. Its something a rider has to get use to or just dosnt like? I've not had a problem with it myself on this machine so far or the first rincon I had back in 03. Could it be improved even more? Sure but more so then braking power to me I would like to see more pull in the upper gears. All machines have there good and bad points and I havent found the perfect quad yet? Ok maybe My 1986 TRX250R is just about perfect!~LOL

Kodiak660~
Honda changed over to a Dunlop Radial instead of the Ohtsu, they seems to be a lot a like? Ohtsu has made tires for Honda for many years I dont have any idea why they changed?

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the great review, sounds quite fair. I just traded my 05 rincon for the 06, and i love it. I abused the **** out of my 05, but about 2600 miles on it, and they were all hard miles. Never had one single problem ever. Now sure, its not the fastest or most powerfull, but it is the most fleet footed and will run circles around any other big bore in the woods, i tried them all and end up back with the rincon. I was impressed with the brute force 750's 52 horse power, and even more impressed with the outlander 800's 62 horsepower, but they arent built to the same rigid construction and reliability of the honda, and not as nimble. It wasnt so much the horsepower, it was how it is put to the ground. everyone complains about the engine breaking and now low gear. maybe it isnt for everyone but to me, its not a dump truck, it doesnt need engine breaking, adn i wouldnt mind having low gear, but it doesnt need it, its a "sport" utilty quad. its made to blast through the woods with the upmost of comfort and agility, if you got a farm, get a foreman 500, its a workhorse buillt from the fourtrax 300 4x4 legacy. If you wanna go fast, get a raptor 700, if you wanna work, get a Foreman, if you wanna do both, get a rincon, and never have to replace a belt. And remember, it got 1 and 3 in the baja 1000 against he full line up of sport quads.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the top speed of the 06 rincon compared to your Prairie 700?

Old 12-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you like your new toy as well Bigcarter!

I really like the New Rinny myself and she'll be my main ride! This past weekend I had some 1st gear spudder and she conked out on me a few times when luanching off at full throttle? I heard there was a steam/snorkel problem that sometimes casused the other models to have this same problem? I'll let you know the out come when I find out more?

UGLY88,
I dont know the exact numbers? My Prairie has had a good bit of tinkering done and the clutch has been milled as well. Top Speed on it is much more then I think I'll EVER be able to get out of The Rincon.

Quick Reply: 2006 TRX680 Rincon ( New Toy Review!)