Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

blackline plow

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blackline plow

I'm guilty of not reading everything about it before I replied. I'm surprised it only weighs 90lbs, thats less than my cycle country plow. It does look like a quality unit.

The reason I thought it would be tough on the suspension is because of the way everything attaches to the front and the brunt of the force will be directly put on the front end. This may not be an issue at all, it's just my .02 on the way it looks to me.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default blackline plow

Hi guys,
Gotta put my two cents in here. Glad to see this post since I just this week found this plow in a trade journal. Been plowing for about eight Winters now with three different quads and have been patiently waiting for a power angle/lift plow to come on the market. I liked at the pics of this Blackline Plow but it looks complicated to manual angle,ie pull pins and locate holes which will inevitably be buried in snow behind the plow. Who will pay $1000.00 for a manual angle plow? I like the lift mech and the receiver type hitch appears to beat push tubes. Has anyone bought one/seen one/used one?Text I have always used Moose 60" plows and a winch and have looked at the Eagle Power Angle Piston as an add on to my rig. Has anyone tried this either? Not sure if I'm ready to pay well over a grand for a quad plow when I can get an old truck with a heater for close to the same.

Damguy
03 Rincon
Warn 2.5
26" Trail Masters
60" Moose Plow

Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default blackline plow

For one thing i dont think you can get a complete set up for a truck for a grand.( if you mean buying the plow and the truck).If you mean you already have a truck and you need just the plow then your right, but when your in a big truck with a big blade there is no way you can go down a side walk without messing up some major sod. See i think it will work great for me because im going to be using it for my snow plow business and i have quite a bit of side walks to do.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default blackline plow

Wouldn't 500 pounds of downpressure on an 800 pound quad be a bit much? I mean, if it was properly set up, the tires would be on the ground when the plow was pushed down. But if you went through a dip in the pavement, wouldn't it lift your front tires and make you lose half of your traction?

And they say that the suspension serves as the plow float- but with the downpressure, wouldn't the quad's suspension be just about topped out? Down pressure is definetly good, but it needs some play. Like a very heavy blade (I know not real downpressure) or some springs.

Looks like a good product though, or at least a great new idea to be expanded on. Seems like the kind of product that comes out and is a little iffy the first year, but comes back the second all redesigned and perfect.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default blackline plow

I used mine last week in heavy snow with my grizzly and it kicked butt. It came with the electric actuator for lifting for that price, but the optional hydraulic swivel is over $500. It worked just like a pickup....its got 4 adjustable springs on the blade that hold up to a pretty heavy push before the blade mechanism releases and flops over. I like it so far, and yes you do have to be somewhat careful about how much downforce you put down, and if your tires are real soft the bouncing action of them will change your downforce. I kicked my front tires up to 12 lbs to minimize that problem. It does make my front suspension dip more that I like however and I am installing highlifter overload springs to correct that problem. I wanted to to that with the machine anyway though. Mine ran $987 at Trax motosports for a 52" blade....if anybody finds a better price post it because I still have to get the hydraulic side adjuster yet. The blade harness came with a weatherpack type plug for the hydraulic side adjuster, so its no problem at all to add that unit without taking the quad apart to get to the battery again. The handlebar control is also wired for having both units but works with one or both. Now I just gotta find out how to change those springs on the shocks....

Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default blackline plow

That price isn't that bad, if you include the winch that other systems require (although they often let you use smaller electric winches for much less).

We just got a 54" Polaris glacier V-plow, and it was around $1200 out the door. But the V-plow is about 180 dollars more than a 60" straight blade, and the price also included a Warn 2500 winch. 269 for plow frame, 399 for blade (145 for a straight blade of same size), 99 for the mount, and the rest for the winch.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default blackline plow

neversunk I decided to buy the blackline and i also purchased it at trax motorsports.I got the 60 inch and it was $989.00 shipped to my shop. They told me the hydrolic turn kit is nit out yet. I was going to see if i could hook up an electric actuator from the moose plow set up they are only like $200.00 on ebay. but i dont know if i want to fab up brackets for the plow when i just bought it.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default blackline plow

Yea...I know what you mean. Its such a clean unit I hate to hack it up.....I'd rather spend the money to buy their side andle mechanism when it comes out. It just seems like a heavy price to pay for a very simple hydraulic unit....I'm betting they will be much cheaper next year and hate to be a guinia pig on that.....

Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default blackline plow

I really like the way it mounts and lifts, I made my own blade, I think my next will be similar to this one, minus the electric lift.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default blackline plow

Neversunk, it sounds like you are the first here to get the Blackline congrads! I'm wondering if the plow control has a "float mode"? What happens if you hit something that trips the plow? Does it increase the down pressure as the plow trips? I finally got to see a Blackline in Spencer, MA. on a Husqvarna UTV and it's the nicest ATV plow I've seen yet! I for one am very interested especially in the power angle unit when it comes out. I agree that it's a pile of money but it'll be worth it if it lasts and you can put the plow on the next ATV. Do you have the preload adjustment on your front shocks as stiff as possible? Be careful changing springs. Maybe the Highlifter people can give you some pointers. Good luck!

Quick Reply: blackline plow