Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Sport-Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport-Utility?

I race my 800 Outty in GNCC and nothing else compares, yeah it's expensive but you get what you pay for in this case.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

These ATV's are getting expensive, but when you consider the technology involved in them I'm not surprised. Everything from the liquid cooling systems, computer electronics, suspension, 4 wheel drive, etc.....

Some ATV's have more features than a low end car. And more power...lol

Heck I got a digital speedo with a clock and fuel gauge. Most cars are still analog. Only bad thing is now there is more to go wrong...doh! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Hotdogin,
How much Utility do you want, I see you live in conneticut are you planning on plowing with it? From your first post it sounds like you are wanting it more for pleasure riding. The more info you give the more acurate a response I can give you in return.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sport-Utility?

Id like a 4x4 and part time 2 wheel drive. IRS, powerful and fast, a stump puller, agile in the woods since I have to keep up with a wolverine 350. I want to plow with it. Ill be going up steep hills, mudding and going over falling trees. If at all possible Id love to do wheelies as well, actually its important. If theres a quad out there that can do all this that would be my quad! Im looking for 03/04 and up in years. I dont want something to beat up. thanx

Old 12-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

hotdogin,

I can't wait to hear everyones responses on this.....except for the stump pulling I want what you want.....except I'd like to have EFI too if possible. I'm not sure that this ATV exists though. Many say the KQ and I like what I see, the features, and the price tag......the dirt in the air filters scare me though because it has existed mostly on the stock filters but a few have reported it after buying the aftermkt ones as well.....stating that the most likely issue is that they aren't seating properly. I still like it though it is somewhat scary when we are talking $6-$7k !!!

Others have said the new '06 BF650 with IRS is the ticket.....no EFI though but it sounds like a good quad.

And for a great confortable ride most say it gets no better than a Rincon and in '06 it has EFI to go along with the IRS. Still a lot of complaints about the lack of engine braking and no dif locker....a few others have said that the brakes are so good that the engine braking is much more of a non issue.

Bomb 800 may be it......just too much $$$ for me.

I don't know.....I guess I will sit back and listen to what everyone says based off of your response......some days I wish I wouldn't have come here and would have just bought 1, rode the sh&t out if it and not have known about the
disadvantages about the quad I bought....I would have just had fun on it. A co-workers husband just went and bought a Kodiak 450 and loves it to pieces...he never researched a thing....and he is out having fun. Part of me actually respects that.

On the other hand....I have learned A TON.

Can't wait to see what everyone says....

Old 12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Id like a 4x4 and part time 2 wheel drive. IRS, powerful and fast, a stump puller, agile in the woods since I have to keep up with a wolverine 350. I want to plow with it. Ill be going up steep hills, mudding and going over falling trees. If at all possible Id love to do wheelies as well, actually its important. If theres a quad out there that can do all this that would be my quad! Im looking for 03/04 and up in years. I dont want something to beat up. thanx

First off there's not one quad that does everything you said perfectly. There's also not really many Sport Ute's to recommend from 03/04 that have everything you want. But there are quads that do it well. Since you want IRS, switchable 4wd, power,and most of all wheelie's, I'd have to recommend either the BF750 or the BF 650 IRS. The BF 750's power is incredible coming from a V-twin and you can wheelie it all day...but that power comes with a pricetag, it doesn't handle very good from the factory and I've heard it's tippy. As for the BF 650 with IRS, it's definitely not as much power as the 750 but it's V-twin gives very smooth power and definitely on par with the King Quad 700. I've heard it's handling is better than it's older brother and it's price more in the 500 class.
Now there is a lot of other choices like the Outty 800..but it's price is 1000-2000 above the competition, you'll have to decide if you want to spend $8500+ on a quad.
There's also the King Quad 700 EFI. I didn't really recommend it sinice you said wheelie's are important to you, yeah I can wheelie mine okay but it's definitely not easy, now there is suppose to be a fix for this that would eliminate it's detuned take off and most likely make wheelies very easy, but it's not a gaurentee. Also if the most powerful big bore is important to you I'd recommend a V-twin over the King Quad's single cyclinder engine just simply gives smoothier power. But if these thing's I've mentioned (wheelies, smooth power) could be overlooked the King quad would be great for trails, blowing past a wolvy 350 and everything else you mentioned, the KQ's 4wd system works better than the Kawasaki's and it is very nimble in the trails and has a great ride/handling.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

How about a Polaris scrambler 500 4X4. These are cool quads but they dont have IRS. More sporty than utility.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sport-Utility?

i bought an 05 bf750. and i love it. no problems yet, i run the crap out of it and you can sit on the handle bars and pucnh it and it will still bring the front wheels up no problem. i do just about everything you want with mine and have no problem doing it. and i plan on getting me a plow soon. the prices on the 05's are not that bad if you can still find them on sale. my vote goes for the brute force 750.
Tim

Old 12-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Originally posted by: hotdogin
I looking to buy a utility 4x4. I need some help from the experienced. Is there a quad out there thats somewhere in between a Wolverine and a big bore? IMO I would have to imagine 800's are way to heavy and dont handle that well for zipping around in the woods.

What I need is IRS, about 450cc, 2 to 4 wheel shift, lightest and most agile.

I was looking at the Kodiak and Griz (which is big I know). I like yamaha but am open to others. A salesmen I spoke with was pushing his left over bomb. 400ho 05 and gave me that cd to watch. Just ridiculous! I cant understand why the market never went in the direction of the wolverine.
Anyway, what do you think is the best utility for me? thanx for any replies!
Have you even rode the new 450 wolvy?.....every person I have talked with who has one or bought one for a family member just loves it.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sport-Utility?

450 Wolverine- everyone said they liked the older ones alot better. Looks like if money was no option Id take the outty 800 and pray it was problem free. After reading a post about a problem outty 800 IIm not so sure. No one really knows how good this warr. is yet since the machine is to new to test the warr. Well all i know is I have a suzuki LT-F250 1996 that doesnt want to run. It has some kind of fuel pump problem. We switched the pump any still doesnt run for to long. I need a nice upgrade!!!

Quick Reply: Sport-Utility?