Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Sport-Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport-Utility?

Originally posted by: Kodiak660
From what I have seen the brute 750 in stock form is an ill handling quad............good handling is an important part of sport riding.
Having tons of power isnt everything.
Ill handling? LOL Keep reading your mags. It's all rider man. Look at this review > http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/...ruteforce750i/

And I'll quote "This has to be the best IRS suspension found on any of the big bore quads"

If you know how to ride and you're not some over weight lump that sits on his **** all day while riding, the BF750 kicks ***. I have a 2006 and it handles like a dream but as said before I know how to ride... this is my trail/work machine. I have a full blown XC racing Z400 with full elka suspension that I run hare scrambles with and the BF750 can compare to ride quality on bumpy terrain, its no z400 but it holds its own very well. And having tons of power isn't everything but having tons of torque is, and the v-twin is a proven bullet proof torque monster.

Toyeboy, you "heard" ALL WRONG. LOL

Once again Its all rider and I'm sure glad I have the BF750. Another few points I'll make is most guys mod out their machine with aftermarket rims/tire combos which = a change in handling characteristics so there goes all the stocker reviews right out the window. Also, having more power/TQ on a stock machine makes adding a larger tire/wheel combo a walk in the park. Add a set of 27,s 28s or 29s on a stock 660 and do the same on a bf750 and see which one is less effected by the larger rotating mass and weight.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Well I base this on one of the riders in my group.
He use to fly on a big ole 700 Polaris......the guy was nuts on it.
Now he has a brute and the thing doesnt handle very well for him at all.
He has over 1,500 miles on the brute now and he still cant keep up in the nasty stuff like he use to.
I dont get the mags......dont buy them.......dont read them.
I go buy what I see and hear from riders on the trail.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Well I would bet I have more seat time on quads then you'll get in the next 5 years.
25,000 hard core miles in all types of conditions.
Not a road rider here and I spend most of my time riding standing.
As for your link to the review.....I dont go by stuff in print........I go by what I see and hear from the lips of the riders themselves.
Everyone thinks their quad is the best.......I'm glad your happy with yours.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

My Kodiak is the BEST. Nothing compares [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Its very sporty since it has a smaller sized frame compared to the BIG guys. Big isn't always better. Depends what your doing.

To bad it didn't have EFI. I hate carbs...So out dated. I hate having to warm the damn thing up. Plus carbs just plain run smoother...Like EFI cars now adays compared to the old school gas guzlin, rough running carbed cars.

I like the King Quad from everything I've read. I've compared the brute to the king and more people have better things to say about the King. Don't have either and I'm a Yami fan. Plus on ATV Television they praise the King over the brute. And you know there the definate source even though the never show Artic Cat machines and should. They are good too!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Range Rover
Default Sport-Utility?

Originally posted by: WindmillAtWork
I can't believe the MSRP on those $7899!!! You might as well get the 800...Not much more if your already spending that much.... $8599 ... Are they really that much better of machines? I never really heard of them before thinking they would be cheaper when they seem priced like they are top of the line ATV"s or something..Maybe they are but not much WORD of Mouth on the them..for sure.

True..whatever you get you will have fun.. ATV's are great. I spent $5900 on mine which I thought was outragious. Man these things are gonna cost as much as a brand new car or truck before long. I guess all that plastic really adds up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
not if you do a little looking, a lot of 4-500cc machines around 4500 and less[a lot less], just bought 2 brand new..... 05 eiger manual and 05 cat tbx auto ...,price average for the 2 is $4125 out the door, all it took was a little computer time

Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

People that don't like the EFI obviously don't own them. When you install a pipe and jet kit on a carbed bike your still not geting the performance you get out of a stock EFI. My buddy has an 03 Polaris 700 with an 800 header, 800 intake, K&N, jet kit and a White Bros pipe and he runs neck and neck with a stock 04 700EFI. He pulls away a little in higher speeds but he spent a lot of money to get there and we have to wait for him to warm up all year round not to mention what a choke does to a spark plug.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

sorry, but someone is full of it or don't know what they are talking about

I agree that EFI has benefits, but given the same CFM, efi does nothing to increase maximum HP over a like size carb except get the mixture right at different temperatures and elevations - it does the jetting for you - that's all. no magic here. so, you have less variation throughout the hp range, that's it.

you efi guys are hurting your machine if you don't let the engine and oil heat up first

the main benefits are no choke for the people that don't get it and your jetting is done for you real time for those that don't get it, the downfall is similar to the Hondamatic - it performs better over a wider range, but if you have to perform a repair its gonna cost you more.

If atmospheric conditions are stable, you can get more out of a carb by properly jetting than the conservative fuel/air mapping the stock EFI is going to provide

the Kodiak is a much better choice for a sporty woods quad than any of the tanks mentioned in this post, the Wolverine must be better although I would have liked to see a fully manual tranny rather than the belt. The Rincon is also a sportier ride than most of the quads here.

Example, what do you think is going to go around a tight road course better, an S2000 or a hemi Dodge Ram or a Silverado SS? We know who has the HP, but which one would have faster lap times?

Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

i was looking at different sport utes myself before and got a modded wolvy.its not the biggest baddest machine...probably the smallest wimpiest one going! but it gets around the woods like a champ with enough power for what i do. im not hauling my truck with it or trying to beat my buddy with more cc's than him!2nd gear does everything i need it to do.i like the fact that the front wheels stay on the ground.a 750 lb. beast rolling scares the pi$$ out of me. i run a 250r and it has all the rip snorting i need at my feeble old age!!for a pleasure ride ..bigger, badder really isn't necessary UNLESS your trying to compensate for something! LOL the more they weigh..the more power is necessary to move em. different strokes i guess. good luck hunting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

I guess I should explain. Everything I posted was from expierience. Now from expierence the EFI machines that I've been thankful enough to be able to ride take off from a dead stop faster than carbed bikes. I personally don't race my bike but maybe 2-3 times a year, but I know when I have to slow to take a sharp turn on a trail and then punch it to get back to speeds I want to be at. Then when I come to a 3' deep mud hole that I want to cross I dont have to spend my not so available ride time getting my bike unstuck. Now I might be the only one that does this for fun and the only one that doesn't like to have to modify my bike so that I am continually satisfied, but I doubt it. My 800 is more than satisfing to me and most of the utility riders I've ridin with would love to own one after riding it. "So from my expierence" does mean I do know what I'm talking about and If your "opinion" is different than mine I also respect that. As far as compinsating for something NOT I paid cash for the exact bike I wanted so if you can afford it why not have it. I'll guarantee you that I won't have to shop for the next best thing anytime soon and I've owned my bike more than a year already. DONT HATE THE PLAYERS HATE THE GAME.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

The Kodiak 450 weighs around the same as the KQ 700, Grizzly, and BF so....

Quick Reply: Sport-Utility?