Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Confusion

Nope, off ebay. Some dude that i cannot pronounce the name. Not getting my hopes up to high about it showing up at all.
They are pushing tons of these low buget winches, i wouldn't be surprised if it was a scam.
I have bought steaks off those trucks in my neaborhood, I think it was eliphant *** steak.
Deerkiller

Old 02-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Confusion

Hey I bought one of those cheap winches off ebay (viper 3000lb) and have been in some really bad mud and stuck in some sand in creeks and the winch handled well. You can get one with a mount for less than a third of a warn.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Default Winch Confusion

i got the Warn #3000 just incase id rather have too much winch than too little, plus it has the lifetime limited warrenty and it's completely sealed, my buddie got a Ramsey #3000 and last winter he had a problem were it froze up on him once.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

My Warn import knockoff winch showed up friday, Got it mounted and wired. To tell you the truth, it's going to be fine. nearly pulled the the winch off the mount from not stopping quick enough.
The handle bar switches, i got an extra one for the angle motor on my plow, are not high quality but they do work. all in all for $120.00 w/shipping for a 2500lb winch, fairlead and 2 mini rocker switches i'm happy. Lifts a 72" plow with no grunts or groans.
Just bearly fits into the winch pocket on my '04 1/2 Sportsman.
Ready to go plow some snow but i'm kind of wondering when winter is going to show up in New York State.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Winch Confusion

Deerkiller,

Eric, where did you get the wires, solenoid, mounting plate, etc.?

Old 02-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

hey boats i just bought the same winch for my arctic cat i havent had to use it yet but i tried it out and it winds back up terribly it bunches up in one spot have you had this problem??? if not any one know how to fix it

Old 02-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Confusion

Yeah when you wind up the winch make sure you have a load on it and guide it onto the drum you better wear gloves. When I first put my winch on I let out all of the cable and winched my 360 50 feet with tension on the cable and I guided the cable on. I have not had any problems with the way it winds at all

Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

This may not be a new idea but it works great for me and i thought i'd share this tidbit.
I took the cable off my winch and replaced it with a tow strap. I had the heavy kind that they hold down loads on a tractor trailer flatbed, about 3" wide. The cables seem to ware a groove in the fairlead and i'm not spending $50.00 for a blue plastic rope.
I spooled about 6' on. I primarily use it for a plow lift so 50' of pull is not needed.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Confusion

I am getting a warn 2.5 winch installed on my ATV and I have no experience ever using one and was wondering what other accessories i should keep handy besides the 6' nylon strap i have.... It comes with a hause fairlead which i dont think has the rollers on it. Do i need one w/rollers ? I wont be plowing with it or anything just there for emergencies....Also, might sound like a dumb question but what is a ****** block and what purpose does it serve ? Thanks........

Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

Hause means it is the type w/o rollers. Works fine for occasional use, but rollers tend not to scrape up the cable, especially when pulling at a funky angle.

I see in the kits to convert to synthetic rope you are supposed to put on their hause head anyhow, presumably the synthetic rope would get mangled if it got wedged in the corner of rollers.

A ****** block is just a pulley with a place to hook a clevis or chain to. You can run your cable out to the ****** block and back to the quad to double your pulling power. You can also chain the ****** block to a solid object and run the cable to some other ancor point in order to get the winch cable pulling in the direction that you want where there isn't a tree or other ancor point in that direction.

You can also use the ****** block to hook the winch cable to it's self, without kinking the cable like you would if you just hooked it to it's self.

Warn makes an ATV winch accessory kit (search e-bay), or there are cheaper off-brand kits.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...3&navType=type

Quick Reply: Winch Confusion