Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Confusion

Has anyone ever had a situation where their winch didn't have enough grunt to get them out of a situation? I ask this because in looking at winches to put on my soon to come 350 Rancher, I question the extra $$$ difference between the 2500lb and the 3000lb winches as to if that extra 500lb capacity will actually be needed or not.
Also, Warn or Ramsey or some other brand........Are the big names worth the cost, or just buy a cheap one every couple of years?
I would like to be able to power out my cable in the event that I would need to say lower my quad down a hillside. Can all winches do this, or just certain ones?
Basically, the winch can really save you if you get in a jam byyourself while hunting or just exploring, and I want to make good choices and need some input from people that use them. Thanks in advance![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Confusion

I can only partially answer this question. I have a Suzuki Eiger, and had a 1700 lb. winch, which worked fine, for a little while. It finally bit the dust because I think I overexerted it. From that I got a Warn 2500 lb. winch and have had no problems. I think its better to get more than you think you need, you do put alot of strain trying to yank your quad outta mud. I got the Warn cause its a well known brand. I'm not saying that the others are terrible. I just have no experience with those brands.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

I also have a 2500 Warn, which has worked well for me. I figured I could use a snatchblock and double line it if I ever got stuck bad enough.

As I understand it, though, the 3000 has a better sealed gearbox, in addition to higher capacity. If you are going to sink the winch under the mud frequently, it might be worth the extra $$$ just for that.

Advise I got when I first ran mine while it was submerged was to hose it off good, and run the cable in and out a couple of times to warm things up and get any moisture out of it. It seems to have survived fine, but I don't get in anything that deep very often.

Mine does run in forward and reverse, and I think most do.

I'd be a little hesitant to buy a cheap unknown brand winch- since it is one of those things that when you need it, you need it to work.

You can save money by shopping around on line, and installing yourself. It is a pain, and takes a bit of time to do a nice, clean job, but it is worth it if you are half-way mechanically inclined. 4atvtires.com had the best price I could find when I got mine. When comparing prices, be sure you get one with a roller head, and take shipping into account (some include shipping, some don't).

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Confusion

Get at least a 2500 and buy a good ****** block (no it's not what you think...it's a pully). It will double the pulling power (at half the speed). A good "shackle-type" block will run you $60 or so. It has to be a "shackle" type because you would have no way to get the "hook" on the winch through the pully. My vinson was DEEP in some mud (above the gas tank) a few weeks ago and the 2500 by itself stalled, put the ****** block on and it came right out.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Range Rover
Default Winch Confusion

Here is a good price on a kit that includes a block, some straps, and a few other goodies.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...3&navType=type

If the link fails go to http://www.rockymountainatv.com and search for part number W42313

Old 01-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

Look at the MileMarker brand, I have a PE2500 on my '05 Suzuki Eiger and have put it through some heck. I do say that you should get a ****** block they can save you. You can get one for about $199 with free shipping from the winchdepot.com.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winch Confusion

Just did this to my 350 Rancher last month. Went with the Warn 2.5ci. I contemplated many other options from the 2000 pound $49 Costco to the biggest Warn, Ramsey & Milemarker. I was told to stay away from Superwinch by several others whose opinion I value. Along the way, I found a Grip brand 2500 pound winch that looks EXACTLY like the Warn 2.5 with the exception of the battery mounting posts running front to back instead of up and down - hence not enough clearance behind the headlight. Bummer too since it was only $180, install kit and instructions looked identical to the Warn set. Oh well, returned it and got the Warn.

I've only used it for plowing so far and it works great. I found a special Warn snowplow roller fairlead that might be nice however, the normal mounting spot for the roller fairlead on the Rancher is angled downward quite a bit already which I'm sure reduced the strain on the winch cable for plowing.

My thought is that I'll appreciate the Warn when it works every time I really need it in the future and my wallet will recover...

Old 01-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Range Rover
Default Winch Confusion

On E-bay there are numerous winches. I've noticed several that look like Warn knock-offs (Gorilla), probably from China. Interestingly, most of the dealers for these units are in SoCal. Does anyone have any experience with one of these units? Just wondering if they are worth the money.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Confusion

I just baught one of those Gorilla winches from a let say NON american person in SO Cal. I'll let you know when it shows up what it does.
I did buy a Harbor freight 2000 lb one last year and for what i use it for is fine, $50.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Winch Confusion

Deerkiller,
Being from San Diego I know EXACTLY what you mean. You didn't happen to buy it off the back of his truck did you? Swapmeet? LOL.

Quick Reply: Winch Confusion