Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best all around Snow tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best all around Snow tire

Actually the opposite is true for plowing. In this case you WANT a tire that will dig to the hard surface for traction, you wont get enough traction in snow to push snow with the blade.
exactly what I said, that's why I said a tire like the 589s would be great for plowing. They'd get right to the pavement. However, as you said - if you just scraped the pavement, why would you need that aggressive of a tire? You don't. These new radials have deep enough tread to get the job done, but not too aggressive. Aggressive treads will dig you in faster on trails, best all-around belongs to the radials

Augie, don't you have the PXTs? I don't thing you can do much better so why spend the extra cash?

Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: propnut
Actually the opposite is true for plowing. In this case you WANT a tire that will dig to the hard surface for traction, you wont get enough traction in snow to push snow with the blade.
exactly what I said, that's why I said a tire like the 589s would be great for plowing. They'd get right to the pavement. However, as you said - if you just scraped the pavement, why would you need that aggressive of a tire? You don't. These new radials have deep enough tread to get the job done, but not too aggressive. Aggressive treads will dig you in faster on trails, best all-around belongs to the radials

Augie, don't you have the PXTs? I don't thing you can do much better so why spend the extra cash?
Nope the PXT's were an option on the SP400, if I had realized it I would've spent the extra $$$ for either a 500EFI or just the upgrade to my 400

Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

While doing some spring time, late May, riding in the mountians a few years ago I came across a long section of trail covered by snow. This was located in some dark timber. I was riding a Sportsman 500 at the time and was starting to sink a little to often in the soft early afternoon snow. I had been following the tracks of another ATV when I came to a creek crossing with about a three foot snow ledge on the other side. Damn if the other ATV's tracks didn't go up the snow ledge and continue up the trail. Considering the snow was soft I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The snow ledge wasn't very badly torn up either. No foot tracks in the snow from having to hook up a winch either. I knew I wouldn't be able to make it so I turned around. About an hour and a half later the guy on the other ATV came down the trail. He was on a newer Grizzly and had reversed all four of his tires/wheels, so he was using them in the oposite direction than what they were intended.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

Wayback 40 that was me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Check out pics 9, 10, and 11 in my Gallery......I took those pics that same day.
It was on champion creek and you have a green 500.
How ya doing?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Range Rover

Kodiak 660, Damn this is a small world sometimes. Obviously you impressed me with your riding. I'm doing pretty good. Maybe we'll have to hook up for a ride. Are you still over in WA? Did you hear of that guy named Tuttle that raped and stabbed his daughter last summer over here in Idaho? He had ditched his car about 200 yards downstream from where I usually camp on wonderful creek. He had been in custody about a month when I found his camp, which was a few hundred yards up the creek from where I usually camp. Luckily I didn't spend any time up there in July, when he was up there. If I had he could have easily killed me while I slept since the sound of the creek would have covered most noise he would have made. Nice thought huh? Take care,

Old 01-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah it is a small world.I am still in Wa but I want to move out your way soon........yes we need to hook up and ride.
I see you have a 700 now.......nice quad!
Too many bad things happened this past year in that small area of N Idaho.....I hope 2006 brings peace to the area.
A few of us meet and ride Wallace and CDA area alot.
In fact we visit in the "where to ride" section here under "spokane-N idaho area rides" (Or something close to that)
Its been great finding you in here.....lets keep in touch and ride in 06! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

Kodiak 660, I checked out the photos. Just as I remembered it!
Maybe I can hook up with your group some day. Most of you guys ride on weekends though. I work graveyard four nights a week. My weekends don't start until 0830 on Sunday mornings. I'm thinking you guys would have a pretty good lead on me by then. At least maybe I'll run into you again on the trail. Take care,

Old 01-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Next time I come up to CDA to ride I'll PM you here and let you know........9am on a sunday morning ride isnt too late for us. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

Kodiak 660, Sounds good, thanks!