Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Diff Locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Locks

Absolutely no problem, it's my passion man. Feel free to PM or e-mail me about anything.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Diff Locks

Fireslayer
I agree totally on the AWD---I've yet to see any delay in the quads of my buddies. So I'm still torn between the sp800 (maybe consider the 700efi)and the KQ. Few more decisions to look into before I pull the trigger. Thank you for your help!
Also, do you have the problem with the ebs making a bunch of racket? I use my quad to hunt, and I don't like any extra noise if I can avoid it. I had seen several posts about that and was just curious!

Again, thanks.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Diff Locks

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
Originally posted by: Fireslayer
MSUbulldog, I've owned Polaris since "99" and have never had a situation where the AWD did not operate as quickly as it needed to. Apparently it is so instantaneous that it's never been a problem for anyone that I've ever known or ridden with. The KQ is a good machine as Redgoblin states, and just as he is biased toward the KQ, I have to admit I'm biased toward the Polaris. Both are great machines. Good luck in your decision.
Glad to see a humble and honest Polaris owner without that "my bike is the best and that's all" attitude. You are a rare breed, my friend.
Likewise RedGoblin, It's good to know that there are others who stick to the facts, tell it like it is, do research to find the answers they're looking for, and don't try to force thier own opinions on others. I'll be the first to tell you that just because I ride a Polaris doesn't mean it's the correct machine for you. I too have been pro-Honda most of my life and own Honda motorcycles currently. They just don't have an ATV for me yet though the new Rubicon is getting there!!!

Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Diff Locks

Originally posted by: msubulldog
Fireslayer
I agree totally on the AWD---I've yet to see any delay in the quads of my buddies. So I'm still torn between the sp800 (maybe consider the 700efi)and the KQ. Few more decisions to look into before I pull the trigger. Thank you for your help!
Also, do you have the problem with the ebs making a bunch of racket? I use my quad to hunt, and I don't like any extra noise if I can avoid it. I had seen several posts about that and was just curious!

Again, thanks.
Sorry I didn't get back quicker msubulldog. About the EBS noise: The only time I've noticed it is when I descend a pretty steep incline in high range and back off of it pretty quickly. It appears to just be the EBS doing its job and with the belt traveling at high speed and the engine idling down to a low speed the differences in speed make it jerk and chatter until the differences in these speeds get closer to each other.It doesn't do it in low range that I've noticed. When you back completely out of the throttle the clutch tries to release and the EBS system tries to engage at the same time. In high range and at high speeds it causes the noise/chattering that people hear. Doesn't appear to hurt anything; It's just the EBS doing its job.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Diff Locks

here's what happend to me: i did all of the research and learned what atv has the features i wanted, but that went out the window when i started test riding atvs. one will really stand out for me. in my last search, i read everything i could find on the big utility atvs and had pretty much decided that the King Quad was the best for me. then i drove a Brute on a test drive. i diddn't care about the 4x4 engagement lag or anything else. the brute was the one i liked best. it is the same for others i assume. everyone will have their own favorites for no other reason than they like it best.
then we all start picking certain specs that support our particular favorite over the others. before you know it, there is a twenty page bashing thread over tiny details.
back to the point, tho. do your research, but also be prepared to twist the data a little bit if you really like one that is not "perfect" for you.

monty

Old 02-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Diff Locks

Highlifter makes a lock that locks the differential lever back on the brute then you just push a button when you want it unlocked..... The brute is a MONSTER, i raced a sp800 and blew him away....

I personally would get the BF or grizz.....

when the grizz gets a 800cc engine i might go back to look at it...

Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Diff Locks

Originally posted by: CBF2
The KQ and the Grizz are the only TRUE lockers (in the Big Bore class).
Don't forget about the Arctic Cat. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If you like a big time mudder, the H1 is the way to go. It won't take the corners as fast as a KQ, but has the best ground clearance in the business, and the locker is just a throw of the lever and it is set until you pull it back. You don't have to hold it there.

Later this month, Arctic Cat is coming out with the 700EFI. It is an H1, with a KQ engine, and a few other changes.

All the others you talked about were good, I obviously ride an Arctic Cat so that is what I can tell you about! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default Diff Locks

Its pretty insulting to compare polaris's AWD system to bombardiers crappy locking set up...

Polaris's is near instantaneous with stock tires and not much of a difference when you go up sizes on tires ethier while the bomb on the other hand gets HORRIBLE as you go up tire sizes. It is like a limited slip diff and once it one wheels for so long it'll finally lock until you let off the gas and the amount of time it takes to lock is incredibly long especially as you start going up on the size of tires.

The grizzly king quad h1 and brute force all have true lockers but i prefer the brutes because you can pull it on the go and never have to stop.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Diff Locks

Polaris's is near instantaneous with stock tires and not much of a difference when you go up sizes on tires ethier
Not in extreme situations I have rode with them in............in deep packed snow they dont kick in soon enough and your stuck before you can take off. I know.....I have had to help the riders push them to get them going again after getting stuck where even my 3 wheel drive Rancher does better.
Also in grapefruit size loose rocks going up steep draws the polaris system will throw rocks with the rears before a front kicks in (the area we rode only took a split second of not having all 4 tires moving to screw you over)
The bomb system isnt any better in these nasty conditions where you need full lock from the second you start feeding it small amounts of throttle.
Other than those 2 areas I think both systems offer the right rider great control in all other conditions.
For some folks not having to think about when they need the locker is a plus.
I perfer to choose lock on my own and not have the quad do it for me.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Diff Locks

It is true that the Polairs systems requires the wheels to slip 20% before the fronts will engage. Some may notice this, most will not. I bet 90% of the Polairs owners don't even know about it.

Quick Reply: Diff Locks