Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

bighorn radials

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bighorn radials

has anyone tried these tires? what do you think about them compared to the xtr mudlites? do they rob your bike of power as bad as the 589's? thanks

Old 02-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default bighorn radials

They are somewhat heavy for a trail/rock tire, but not bad. They aren't going to be as good in the mud as the ITPs you mentioned, but they'll hold their own and they'll do great with an IRS machine for handling.

Old 02-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default bighorn radials

RedGoblin,you really seem to know a lot about tires. What would you recommend as a good tire for a 2006 400 auto AC? I ride on mostly rocks and some minor mud trails. Most trails that I ride on are at a slight incline or decline nothing really steep. I also do not do much FAST riding, I like to poke along and see the scenery. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default bighorn radials

191145, most of my knowledge comes from tons and TONS of reading I've done over the years on this forum and others like it, not firsthand experience with MOST of the tires. However, most of the information from different people seems to match up, so I think it works out. I hope I don't come off as a "know-it-all" because that's not what I'm shooting for. Anyway, the way you described your riding, I don't know what is wrong with your stockers.......what do you not like about them?

Old 02-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default bighorn radials

RedGoblin,you do not come off as a know-it-all but as someone whose opinion I value. The stock tires seem to not offer much wheel rim protection and not hold air pressure.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default bighorn radials

Well I know there are several tires available with some form of "Rim Guard" that covers the actual rim with the sidewall of the tire. The one's I just purchased, the Supergrip Superlights, have this and those are the only ones I know of. However, I remember seeing this feature on many more, but don't remember which ones. If you've searched the forums for this, you may want to start a thread concerning these kinds of tires.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default bighorn radials

I have never had the XTR's but I currently have the Bighorns on my BF750 right now. Living where I do it seems all I ever get to ride on is rocks. I switched to the Bighorns after I tore a 3" gash in the side wall of my stock tires while riding the Paiute trail last summer. I selected the Bighorns because they are ideally suited to hold up in the rock/dirt/sand environment I mostly ride. I see very little in the way of mud or snow living here in Phoenix so I didn't think the XTR's would be as good for me. I am very pleased so far. I must say even though these tires do offer good rim protection I have managed to put several nice scratches and divots in my ITP type7 wheels. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 02:13 AM
Range Rover
Default bighorn radials

I currently have a set of the Bighorns on my SP 500, they are great for hard pack trails, rocks, and dirt. They are a pretty heavy tire and will rob some power but in my opinion it is worth it because these are tough tires, they will take a beating. They are horrible in the snow and not the greatest in the mud. They will do alright in mud until they are unable to keep cleaning themselves and then they turn into a slimeball. As far as comparing them with the mudlite xtr they will be better in the rocks and hardpack but will fall behind in the mud.

Hope this helps

Ty

Old 02-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default bighorn radials

I have the Maxxis Bighorns and I thought they weren't to bad in the snow. On one trail yesterday I dug in and stopped and thought I was stuck but just a few back and forwards and I was out. Now the sheer staggering power of my 800 Outlander may have compensated for any defeciency on the part of the tires. I do wonder if my old 400 Outlander would have dug out with the bighorns..

Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default bighorn radials

Originally posted by: Curls
I have never had the XTR's but I currently have the Bighorns on my BF750 right now. Living where I do it seems all I ever get to ride on is rocks. I switched to the Bighorns after I tore a 3" gash in the side wall of my stock tires while riding the Paiute trail last summer. I selected the Bighorns because they are ideally suited to hold up in the rock/dirt/sand environment I mostly ride. I see very little in the way of mud or snow living here in Phoenix so I didn't think the XTR's would be as good for me. I am very pleased so far. I must say even though these tires do offer good rim protection I have managed to put several nice scratches and divots in my ITP type7 wheels. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
That really sucks, I love the mud.