Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?

Hey Hondabuster,

I like your slogan but Bill Clinton has been out of the white house for some time now..

Go with the Outlander, whatever cc, funest bike out there, in my humble opinion.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Old Honda 300 fourtrax 4x4s were/are a riot to ride I think. Bulletproof and light enough to horse around to put where you want.

That and it was my first ATV so there is some sentimentality going on there.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
Old Honda 300 fourtrax 4x4s were/are a riot to ride I think. Bulletproof and light enough to horse around to put where you want.

That and it was my first ATV so there is some sentimentality going on there.
My first ATV also! A 1993, and it still runs great!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Of the ones you mentioned the KQ700 is the most sporty, however, if you are open to more options then there are more to give.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I’m not going to suggest different machines because you didn’t ask, but……

If you are serious about going "anywhere" then you will need full locking front differential, independent rear suspension, low range tranny, and good ground clearance. Scratch Rubicon and Rincon. For go anywhere check out King Quad, Grizzly, Kodiak, the Brutes, and any of the Arctic Cats. These are all over qualified.
Boy am I tired of this. You do not need a fully locking differential. You also do not need IRS.

The only time people I know use a locker is:
1) when they’re already stuck (the locker rarely gets them out when they are already stuck)
2) when they just watched someone else get stuck and they want every possible advantage to get through (they think it’s the locker getting them through, but it was because they hit it faster and held it wide open)

They almost never use a locker side hilling as a locked axle is more apt to slide sideways. I’ve also seen them slide the front end right off of slippery rocks. I see people get stuck more with lockers because now they think they’re invincible. These people put themselves in positions they wouldn’t normally because they think you can just lock the front end and get out.

Low range is not necessary if you aren’t pulling a really heavy load. The Rincon has plenty of power for fun without a low range.

The tranny alone makes the Rubicon fun (less of a bore than a CVT) in ESP, new suspension from 05-up just makes it better.

All 3 of the machines you mentioned should be fun, and the non-fully-locked machines will go 99% of the places the locker machines will with a good rider.

The IRS machines will ride softer, but roll more. The 680 Rincon should not be discounted for fun because it doesn’t have a locker or low range. You can shift this machine as well, which is more fun than your typical boring auto. This is the sportiest machine listed.

I would be more apt to discount a machine because of continued production with (a) design flaw(s). Do your research and try to ride one of each first.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Not trying to contradict you propnut, however 99% is kinda far stretched. I ride mostly hardcore mud and the only thing that does exceptionally well are the Arctic Cat and Polaris machines. This is because of their massive ground clearance and suspension travel, as well the 4x4 systems with diff lock. We have several Honda's that ride with us ( rubicon, rincon, foreman) that do well but by no means can they go anywhere let alone 99% of the places us with Cats and Popos go. As for the no low gear in the rincon, well you're right it can turn it's tires over in most cases, but with a larger than stock tire and put it in the thick gooey mud, it does struggle. I have seen it. The honda's are good trail and work machines, but they do not rule nor come close in the go anywhere category of quads. He didn't mention the cats or popos but the KQ. The KQ will go places the rincon will not. There is also a KQ in our group.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you may need to tell us what your idea of fun is. Do you just like to motor around on the back 40 or do you like to sling some mud or ride up and down the county road, do you like auto or manual, is a really soft ride a top priority. The question is good, but you will get a hundred different answers because everyone has a different idea to what the definition of fun is. One thing I would do is figure out how much I want to spend and then go look at those in my price range or you can do what the rest of us red blooded americans do and find the one you want and finance it for the rest of your life. lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

billyjoejimbob,

you have made a very good point. this is the reason I baught one for each. A sp500ho for slow technical mudding and a grizz 660 for speedy trail riding.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me...........The best thing to ride is anything running when I have time to ride and the worst thing to ride is anything not running when I have time to ride. =] just my .02¢

Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Freebird, Very well put. the time thing is what brings me down the most. Work at the job all week then the wife has a honeydoo list on the weekend that would take a small army to ever get done. I guess I need to get her one so she can catch the 4 wheel fever also.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?