Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?

I ride mostly hardcore mud and the only thing that does exceptionally well are the Arctic Cat and Polaris machines.
a valid point. If I lived in mudland I might have a different opinion myself.
99% is kinda far stretched
however, I balanced out not having a locker to being able to fit in between and under obstacles. The AC and Polaris (as well as the King) are large machines that get banged up or can't get through some of the tight stuff. I have a buddy with a Kodiak that smokes those mini-jeeps in the tight stuff. I have trouble keeping up in some areas and the Rubicon is much smaller than a Cat/Pol/KQ/Grizz.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

very true, the rubi and foreman is alot smaller and nimble than the big heavy AC and popo.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: billyjoejimbob
Freebird, Very well put. the time thing is what brings me down the most. Work at the job all week then the wife has a honeydoo list on the weekend that would take a small army to ever get done. I guess I need to get her one so she can catch the 4 wheel fever also.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Get her onna quad. You'll never regret it. Ummm unless she ends up wanting one faster than yours. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Just don't wind up like this!!!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...esz71/wntd.jpg

Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ppope
very true, the rubi and foreman is alot smaller and nimble than the big heavy AC and popo.
True, but like a bear(AC, Polaris)and its cub (Honda). The cub can get into a tough tight spot easier, but the momma has to get it back out again!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

The man says he wants fun to drive and go anywhere. To me this does not mean fun to ride fast in the easy stuff and do fairly well in moderate mud and snow. How much fun can you have when hung up on logs and boulders or bogged down in deep mud. Not all of us have the expert skills to push an under equipped machine where it is just not designed to go. So it does seem like very good advice to look at features that are beneficial even if only for a small percentage of your riding. Over equipped on easy terrain has got to be more fun than under equipped on hard terrain.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

sorry turtle, but I respectfully disagree

Over equipped on easy terrain has got to be more fun than under equipped on hard terrain
I’m sure the rookies (no offense, have to start somewhere) in the crowd would agree, but sounds boring to me - not fun

To me this does not mean fun to ride fast
I agree, but fast(er) can be fun!!

Not all of us have the expert skills to push an under equipped machine where it is just not designed to go
Please - I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but where is the KQ designed to go that other machines aren’t? Maybe you shouldn’t get any of the utes if you are relying on a locker for security. Don’t sell yourself short. Why do you drive an (excellent) XR650 and XR400 when it would be easier to ride a lighter and smaller 125? Or would that be too boring?

You put down many rider’s choices by squashing 2 of the poster’s choices - for a rarely used feature that is unlikely to prevent him going most (if not all) places a machine with the feature would. Take the locker out (as I can’t figure out how this adds so much fun) and I ask you what advantage the KQ has over the Rincon for fun. DGL isn’t that expensive (less than 2 OEM KQ belts and an aftermarket air filter) if you are that hung up on a locker.

Locker is not a miracle feature. I’d hate to see all this hype embolden a newbie to the point where they put themselves in a position they shouldn’t be in. But you are still looking to dummy down riding with hyped features which is no fun. How many real sports cars are sold with fully automatic transmissions? They are not fun with autos. Fun can be making it through or over something one of these ‘featured’ quads can’t - without their gizmos – or waiting for them at the end of the trail because they can’t keep up to your under-equipped under-powered machine. There are unique features on each of these machines that make them fun in their own way. Stop falling for the hype. Fun isn’t putting it in drive, pointing it, and thumbing the throttle. He should look at the locker, but ride all 3 and don’t eliminate 2 because of a locker (or lack of). A locker hardly makes it a "go anywhere" ATV.

Should someone not buy a Banshee because they don't handle that well? Or are they fun in their own way (ping ping ping....)

Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Propnut, thanks for the opinions, especially the very good advice on not to overlook all the different ways to have fun out there. This is really all about individual choices and priorities. I have learned the hard way that there is no such thing as a do it all choice. Doesn't matter if it is guns, cameras, motorcycles, or ATVs. I may even be doing too much research in my quest for the perfect 4WD ATV but that is just my way. At this moment my search is including an Arctic Cat 5 speed (10 inch susp, 12 inch ground clearance, IRS, diff lock, low range, no belt, 692 lbs, and handles like a big turd). I even found a dealer who allowed me to ride his demo around the gravel parking lot and it is not too bad. So I may be willing to sacrifice some degree of fun in 95% of my ATV riding for the benefit of doing better in the limited 5% of the time when things get too rough for my limited skills. I do not want to be the first rider turning around because the route is too rocky or too muddy and equally important I do not want to worry about tearing up my ATV going places I should not be going. I will often be the rookie in the pack but I really want to learn to make it through whatever the other guys do on their Sportsmans and Grizzlies. Your very good experiences with Honda ATVs matches my very good experiences with Honda motorcycles and sport quads. If Honda made a 4WD with AC features I would likely go there but that is not happening anytime soon. Your opinions about the Rincon and Rubicon should be very beneficial to the man looking to select his ideal ride.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just don't buy a polaris. I am kidding. True story though. All my riding friends gave me a hard time and said I would have problems around 500 miles. I made it to 700 miles and I sold it. I truly liked it though. 04 camo sportsman 500 h.o. with all the hunting goodies. It tended to overheat, factory badland tires were worthless, practically 2 grand in repairs in 2 years. Had to get rid of it. Worst part, my buddies were right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img].

My wife has a 05 Kodiak 450 and it is a sweet little ride. If you are not worried about power, even though it will do most everything you need, it is a nice light-weight trooper. It can zip around and turn on a dime. Just FYI.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the King
1 VERY STABLE
2 smooth power
3 rides very good
4 efi
5 LOCKER (and yes the locker helps ALOT)
6 GREAT HEAD LIGHTS
7 great ergonomics
8 price
9 quality
10 and its not a POLARIS
My buddy rides a honda rancher 450 es? Its not fast it can go 41 mph,ground clearance is bad on it ,ride is even worse,quality is good,and the price is bad. And he will be the first to tell you that you need a locker for the front.
I had a 04 grizzly I cant say anthing bad about it but I cant say anything good either.
My Brute just sucked unless you just wanted to ride wide open.
My Outty 800 is a great machine just the cost is great also.
Polaris sorry just not impressed.
AC I would like to ride the 700 efi I think this is going to be a great quad.
Honda rincon nice machine tranny SUCKS for the way I ride.
So I hope this helps a little these are just my opinions on the machine I have ridden.

Quick Reply: Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?