Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?

Locking in after your already stuck may not help much. Try a true AWD, that deals with slippage issues as your slipping, not after. Arguing that manual diff lock is good and nothing is better, is like me arguing that I don't like my Silverado to automatically perform anti-skid. OH, like I wanna do anti-skid manually when I'm sliding down the road? Same with a true AWD system, it decides what to do by what the wheels are doing..

Outlander baby, with Visco-Lok Yea!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: eyeisdee1
Locking in after your already stuck may not help much. Try a true AWD, that deals with slippage issues as your slipping, not after. Arguing that manual diff lock is good and nothing is better, is like me arguing that I don't like my Silverado to automatically perform anti-skid. OH, like I wanna do anti-skid manually when I'm sliding down the road? Same with a true AWD system, it decides what to do by what the wheels are doing..

You made a good point, but it is not the same. Slipping off the road at 70mph is not like going through a mud hole. I think what everyone is trying to say is that you know ahead of time when you will need the locker, and thus can flip it in.

By the way, I haven't even used my diff locker yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Catterman, are you in St Cloud now, or Canada?

Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

By the way, I haven't even used my diff locker yet.
what! do you just keep it in the garage or are you a big wimp[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

visco lock is great, but your wheel has to slip before it works, not best in all situations either

Old 03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

visco lock is great, but your wheel has to slip before it works, not best in all situations either
If you are losing traction, is it not true that at least one of your drive wheels are slipping? All the Visco-Lok does is sense that and sends power to the other wheel that is not slipping, I, the rider doesn't have to do anything..

Old 03-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Alot of people, like me, like to have all 4 wheels churning BEFORE we hit the mud/snow/rough terrain, not after we are already stuck. The machine cant see whats coming up un the trail, only the operator can

Old 03-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Got Milk!

Originally posted by: v2rider
Catterman, are you in St Cloud now, or Canada?
Yup, I am officially in St Cloud. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Got Milk!

Originally posted by: propnut
By the way, I haven't even used my diff locker yet.
what! do you just keep it in the garage or are you a big wimp[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Actually, it just sits in the garage!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] We moved 3 times in the last 6 months so I haven't had much riding time. This winter my snowmobile has only been riding 20 miles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Now that we are officially moved into our house I should have a good summer for riding though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: eyeisdee1

By anti-skid you mean auto 4wd? In which case you can always hit the 4x4 button and it stays locked unlike your typical awd vehicle.

Polaris is an AWD that works well... Visco lock isn't an AWD system and its junk as well. It to many tire revolutions to lock up so you lose foward momentum but yes it will eventually lock up and it only gets worse as the tire size goes up. Rocks? Haha the bombs not a rock crawler.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well Put.

Quick Reply: Don't care about power. Which is most fun to drive?