Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.

Originally posted by: montyh
don't wanna hijak the thread, but what can EFI do that carbs can't? all i see is economy. and even that is a trade-off for reliability. if EFI goes down, you will be buying parts before going anywhere. it would take a huge problem with carbs to keep you from fixing it trailside.

i do agree that EFI will be the only system available one day, but for now it is very often the limiting factor, and how can you tune your EFI, say for a pipe change? can you get software and hook up a laptop to adjust a stock KQ? i hear of the Power Commander that will be available for atvs soon (maybe already), so maybe that will unlock the potential.
my brute starts and runs fine at all elevations i have been to so far (3700ft to 8000ft- too much snow to get any higher yet) i can't see any advantage to EFI.

just curious. not trying to bash anything, but i see no advantage to EFI yet. maybe i'm missing something. i am willing learn and am open minded. help me understand.

monty
You would be amazed how much better efi runs at high elev Plus the torque efi makes is great You just need to ride one to see

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

montyh,

Here's a few for ya.....

1. automatic adjustments for altitudes and elevation changes.
2. better fuel economy, and reduced emissions
3. better and easier cold starts
4. you can add performance mods without rejetting (exhaust, clutch kit, air filter, snorkel, etc)
5. better throttle response
6. less hesitation and stalling
7. no routine adjustments or cleaning

Is this not "tangible proof of the superiority of EFI"?

Old 03-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW. I can't believe i missed the BF didn't have EFI. More i think about it the more i figure it's not a deal breaker to have it or not. But i still think i'm down to two, the BF 650 and the KQ. Still on the fence.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

you do realize that with the bf650 you have to push a button to engage the 4x4, then pull a lever on the handle bar to engage the diff lock. You have to keep that lever pulled the whole time to keep it engaged. Imagine being on a technical climb, trying to manuever that machine around, switching from reverse to forwards, and the whole time having to hold that stupid lever back. Not that user friendly of a 4x4 system! Also there is a delay from the time you push the 4x4 button that it actually engages. Could be nasty when rock climbing. The KQ has a button to push to engage the 4x4, then you push another button to engage the diff lock. You do not have to continuously hold anything. It's engaged until you disengage it yourself. Your hands are free to help with other things that need to be done.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

all i can say is ride the brute, then ride the KQ (or vice versa). you'll wish you had if you diddn't. the 4X4 switch is easy. put it in 4X4 before the mud hole. (i leave mine in for entire difficult trails, and out for easy cruising). the Brute's front diff lock is, according to dirt wheels "the best feature available on any atv" and if desired, a "pen lock" is available from Highlifter that will keep it locked without holding it. the ability to vary the amount of "lock" is the the point of it.
you might very well prefer the KQ, and with good reason. it is a good machine. but it and the brute have very different personalitys, and you will probably feel strongly about one or the other after riding them both.

you diddn't say if you were thinking of the Brute 650i (independant rear suspension) or the 650 (solid rear axle). the 650i has some improvements in handling, and has the compression bumped up, but is otherwise identical to the 750 minus 100ccs. the 650i has more in common with the 750 than the 650SRA. i assume you ment 650i with the IRS because it is more at home on the same turf the KQ. i had enough credit to get any atv i wished, narrowed it down to the KQ and Brute 650i, and the test rides did it. just don't let someone that has never ridden a Brute try to tell you how bad it is.

either way KQ or Brute 650i, you can't go wrong. keep us posted on your decision.

monty

Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ppope
montyh,
4. you can add performance mods without rejetting (exhaust, clutch kit, air filter, snorkel, etc)
I need help with this one. I have seen on here that the stock KQ EFI sensors only account for elevation and temperature and that even these are good for only a limited range. I have also seen on here that exhaust and intake mods will require re-programing the electronics. And I have seen that for extremely low temperatures the electronics need updates. Now if this is all true it seems like this could be a plus for carbs. I am also on the fence between the KQ and other options with carb. I could sure use a better understanding of all this.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oldturtle
Originally posted by: ppope
montyh,
I need help with this one. I have seen on here that the stock KQ EFI sensors only account for elevation and temperature and that even these are good for only a limited range. I have also seen on here that exhaust and intake mods will require re-programing the electronics. And I have seen that for extremely low temperatures the electronics need updates. Now if this is all true it seems like this could be a plus for carbs. I am also on the fence between the KQ and other options with carb. I could sure use a better understanding of all this.
It is not a plus for carbs. The cold weather thing is specific to the King Quad model only and is fixed by several things, one being an updated "cold weather" programmed ECM from Suzuki at no charge. You have to adjust the fuel for pipes et all on everything-an a EFI bike you load a new map, on the carbs you tear them down and rejet. Any adjustment for temp and elevation is better than the none carbs provide.

It is 2006 for crying out loud and we are still debating carbs vs EFI? EFI has been around 20 years now.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

well, race a carburated Kawasaki Prarie 700 with a KQ 700 and you will see why there is still a debate.

my riding range goes from about 4,000 feet to over 10,000 feet elevation. six thousand feet difference in the same day and i cannot say i have ever had a problem with my carbs.

i also read that you need to spend $300 to be able to adjust the fuel maps on the KQ. the brute costs about $10 for jets. really, most of us don't mind spending a little money on our atvs, but you make it sound like you can just plug a laptop into a stock KQ and change maps.

there are pros and cons to both. i think atv EFI has to evolve a little more before it can be called superior.

monty

Old 03-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: montyh
well, race a carburated Kawasaki Prarie 700 with a KQ 700 and you will see why there is still a debate.

my riding range goes from about 4,000 feet to over 10,000 feet elevation. six thousand feet difference in the same day and i cannot say i have ever had a problem with my carbs.

i also read that you need to spend $300 to be able to adjust the fuel maps on the KQ. the brute costs about $10 for jets. really, most of us don't mind spending a little money on our atvs, but you make it sound like you can just plug a laptop into a stock KQ and change maps.

there are pros and cons to both. i think atv EFI has to evolve a little more before it can be called superior.

monty
You can buy one for 179.00 new on ebay Also it is able to adjust its self for for weather and elevation And you dont have to have a lap top You can adjust it on the bike with the potiniometers it has on it And jets cost 10 each and needles are 20 each so thats 60.00 just for the proper jetting for just one elevation also it takes a bit of work to change the jets on a Kawi I know I had one And as far as racing a stock 700p against my stock King I would race one on my King from 0-72 mph anytime Also lets have one race a sea level and the other at 10,000 elevation I wont adjust mine so you cant adjust yours. EFI is alot better than you want to beleave you would just have to own one to understand I realy think you should ride one once I think you would like it

Old 03-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

As isaid in your first post, i would go for the BF, the V-Twin is almost umatched for power, except for outty in its class

Quick Reply: BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.